BA Surcharges again

Back to Forum
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• BPP
    Participant

This has been raised before but it’s the first time it has affected me. Have just booked (not for thr first time) LHR-BCN in CE to find in the small print that a surcharge of £14 has been applied.

What I then found after a bit of a search says ‘The price of your ticket includes a carrier imposed charge or fuel surcharge, where applicable, per sector levied by the carrier. All taxes, fees and charges are to be paid by the member (not British Airways)’. No indication of what precisely the surcharge is for at all.

There was no mention of this at any point in the booking process untill after final payment! The price ‘as advertised’ was not the final cost.

Caveat Emptor indeed!!

Mark
    Participant

Pure Greed and terrible way to run a business.
    Please no one say supply and demand.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    BPP

cwoodward
    Participant

This deliberately ‘hidden’ charge seems wrong and seemingly could well be illegal.
    Possibly on several fronts but false advertising certainly it seems to me. BA need to be exposed taken to task and this sort of thing stopped.
    Where is the Daily Fail when needed !

Several contributors here know the current British law on these things much better than do I and may wish to comment ?

ASK1945
    Participant

BPP wrote: “Have just booked (not for thr first time) LHR-BCN in CE to find in the small print that a surcharge of £14 has been applied“.

Before we all pile in with criticisms of BA, can we please first establish exactly what happened? I just tried a dummy run of booking this route for June and was quoted a TOTAL price of £614 for the return journey. The booking clearly lists (not in the “small print”) that “the price of your ticket includes a carrier imposed charge or fuel surcharge, where applicable. All taxes, fees and charges are to be paid by the member (not British Airways)“. If I had pressed the “Pay” button, I assume that I would have been charged £614.

BPP, are you saying that you were charged an additional £14, for which there is no explanation? If that is the case, you certainly would be entitled to question this. If not, I don’t understand what your complaint is about. It would not be a “……deliberately ‘hidden’ charge [that]seems wrong and seemingly could well be illegal“.

3 users thanked author for this post.

TominScotland
    Participant

BPP, like ASK1945, I struggle to understand your indignation. When I did a dummy booking (with a slightly different total cost outcome), the price breakdown was clearly available, including the £14 ‘carrier imposed charge’. There is nothing hidden about it!! Had you been railing against the charge itself, on top of the £606.00 ticket price, I might have been more understanding. But this is certainly not new and should be of absolutely no interest to the press!!

Incidently, KLM for the same (indrect) journey budle ‘flights and carrier fees’ together in an even more opaque way.

BA

Your price breakdown
    See the spread of all your costs

Adult 1
    Item Price of item
    Fare £606.00
    Carrier imposed charge £14.00
    Air Passenger Duty – United Kingdom £26.00
    Passenger Service Charge – United Kingdom £21.99
    Departure Charge – Spain £11.80
    Aviation Safety and Security Fee – Spain £0.50
    Security Tax – Spain £3.00
    Total for Adult 1 £683.29
    Total £683.29
    Government and/or airport taxes are refundable, however some countries will apply a Value Added Tax, Sales Tax or equivalent, which will only be refunded on fully flexible tickets. These are included in the price of your ticket and are levied by airport operators, governments, or other authorities.

Some airports may levy local taxes, fees or charges against passengers upon arrival or departure. These are not included in the price of your ticket and should be paid locally.

British Airways may impose a charge called a carrier imposed charge as part of the total price of the airline ticket, which you may see stated separately in certain displays during the booking process or on your final e-ticket receipt.

A refund of the carrier imposed charge or fuel surcharge where applicable may be made on unused flights in your itinerary if permitted by the fare rules and conditions applicable to your booking.

The Lufthansa breakdown is also very interesting:

Price details
    Total price
    GBP614.69
    Round trip price for all passengers (incl. taxes, fees and surcharges).

1 Adult
    GBP614.69

Show price details
    Air Transportation Charges GBP350.00
    Base fare GBP350.00
    Surcharges GBP165.20
    International/Domestic Surcharge GBP165.20
    Taxes, fees and charges GBP99.49
    Air Passenger Duty GBP26.00
    Passenger Service Charge/Departure GBP21.99
    Passenger Service Charge For Germany International/Departures GBP22.10
    Departure Charge GBP11.80
    Aviation Safety & Security Fee GBP0.50
    Security Tax GBP3.00
    Airport Passenger And Security Tax GBP14.10
    Total price per adult GBP614.69
    × 1 Adult GBP614.69

I would have thought the £165.20 ‘surchange’ is rather more questionable than BA’s carrier change of £14!!

2 users thanked author for this post.

BPP
    Participant

Hi
    I think you may find as did I and as did the previous poster on this subject some months ago, that had you processed the purchase beyond adding your card details and then pressed ‘Pay’ then the ammount charged to your card would be different (by the said surcharge ammount)to the bottom line given for the final ticket price before this point.
    This was the point of my comment. I have done this trip many times over recent years and not met this on any previous occassion. Sure the information was avaiable on the e-ticket but on this occasion not before then.

TonyR
    Participant

For the UK the following is probably relevant. https://www.asa.org.uk/advice-online/travel-marketing-pricing.html#Non%20optional%20costs%20and%20charges

1 user thanked author for this post.
    BPP

ASK1945
    Participant

TonyR – thank you for your post, which is very relevant, especially in relation to marketing and indicating prices. However, BPP wrote that the additional charges were “in the small print” – but they are clearly explained earlier than the point of sale, before pressing the button to pay.

I understood (perhaps mistakenly) that BPP knew that there were these charges additional to BA’s flight price, but was charged an unspecified “surcharge” [BPP’s word] of £14 after pressing the pay button. His/her answer to both mine and TominScotland’s posts seems to imply this “………….. had you processed the purchase beyond adding your card details and then pressed ‘Pay’ then the amount charged to your card would be different (by the said surcharge amount)to the bottom line given for the final ticket price before this point“.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls