BA strikers to lose travel perks

Back to Forum
Viewing 10 posts - 136 through 145 (of 145 total)

• Metmanmart
    Participant

Goe has hit the nail on the head..” Waterworld” is full of people walking around with bits of paper in their hands pretending to run an airline.Sure, there are many people needed on the ground to run any business, but as in my job ( not flying ) we have been reduced from 4 to 2 on the “front line” and in the” background” increased from 4 to 6..One of the answers is to cull the “office managers” of which they breed like rabbits and are given titles that come straight from a Carry On film. Any business manager worth his weight knows that you DO NOT sacrifice the front line representatives of the airline in favour of cost cutting..Yes all the crew know that they have to make sacrifices,of which they have done, but where oh where are these cost cutiing examples coming from the ” background “.. In my job I have found to my misfortune that they once again haven’t listened to us and have let the backroom jobs multiply causing ill feeling and more work for the likes of myself…In my old job one of my managers told me…” Walk around looking important with a piece of paper in your hand, and nobody will bother you , but do a good job and stand out, and you will be the first to go “..This is true of Cabin Crew….Keep up the good work CC

VintageKrug
    Participant

Complete rubbish, metanmart.

In 2008, BA cut its Management by 600 people, that’s 35%.

Further cuts have happened since then. I would estimate there are about 1000 managers in BA right now. Not that many when you consider both the numbers previously and also the size of the organisation.

Source linked below, factual and referenced information, not just plucked from the ether:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10263115/

The cabin crew reductions proposed by BA would bring staffing levels into line with those at BA Gatwick.

Staffing levels with which Unite itself has agreed.

billyfreedom
    Participant

Metmanmart, I just gave you an example of a ‘back-office’ being dramatically reduced over the timeframes mentioned by Geo.

Admittedly I left a decade ago and am not so familiar with the current situation and your own examples do sound bad. Perhaps its a case of some departments are better managed than others.

But please can we stop all this nonsense about Cabin Crew being vistimised whilst the rest of the airline are pampered. Its absurd.

VintageKrug
    Participant

*gets on high horse*

As absurd as leaving out the apostrophe when you mean it is = it’s and mistakenly use its which is the possessive form.

*gets off high horse*

billyfreedom
    Participant

Be careful with you own grammar and spelking from know on VK!

VintageKrug
    Participant

I am always happy to be corrected on my “spelking”, billy. I make as many errors as the next person, I’m sure.

The its/it’s thing is so often misused, and so easy to get right, it has become something of a bugbear.

We all make typos, or misspell words, but it takes just a moment to learn the its/it’s thing and then it’s correct for ever!

*jumps back on steed and heads to pub* *

* with apologies to NTarrant, the pub would not be my first choice, but there are no proper wine bars in the vicinity, and I shall be adjourning for a proper repast later.

Metmanmart
    Participant

Yes VK you are right,jobs have been cut ,even though the article was up to 2008, Unfortunatelly, we are in 2010 and in my capacity I am still falling over managers on all levels. Maybe we all should read the article that was published on March 24th in the Times, from Mohammad Kashani-Akhavan…..Now HE KNOWS what he is talking about and is someone who is respected and SHOULD be listened to..

VintageKrug
    Participant

The referenced 2008 article was to illustrate that the number has historically fallen significantly to counter the argument that it had not.

Even if the number was still 1000 (which it seemed to be in 2008, and has likely fallen since then) that is not a large number.

BA still needs managers, whatever you may think of them.

VintageKrug
    Participant

I understand there may well be a judgement today for the Staff Travel court case.

We’ve just received this statement from BA:

“We are pleased with today’s Court of Appeal judgment, confirming that the modest changes we made to onboard crew numbers on flights from Heathrow 12 months ago were reasonable, did not breach crew contracts and can remain in place.

“The changes have made a substantial contribution toward easing the company’s financial position, and our crew have accepted these working arrangements without difficulty.”

Viewing 10 posts - 136 through 145 (of 145 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls