BA strike pending?

Back to Forum
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

• Anonymous

RoadKing
    Participant

Hi,

I am considering using BA for a trip to Brüssels from Oslo the last week of April. E.g. flying via LHR.

A through trip in CE is however expensive, if I book the two sectors as two independent journeys in CE I will save approx £600.

I am wondering if this huge difference is indicating that there is a strike pending. In which case I would risk being stranded with no refund (non-refundable, non-changeable biz).

Probably pointless to ask, but does anyone know if the possibility of a strike in April is imminent?

In case you wonder why I go via London, well. I like BA and I like flying and I like maintaining my Gold status with EC :-).

VintageKrug
    Participant

No strike action has yet been announced.

Any strike plan has to be announced within 28 days of the ballot result – so they have until 25th April to announce a strike.

They must give at least seven days notice of a strike. Only Unite, the controlling Union, not BASSA, can authorise a strike.

Duncan Holley, Branch Secretary of BASSA has himself stated that BASSA members “ no longer have to take strike action”.

Should a strike be called, there remains 58% of BA cabin crew who do not support this action. NO flights at Gatwick of City airports will be affected.

Historically, a significantly smaller number have withdrawn their labour than actually vote for a strike.

BA will run 100% of longhaul, and a significant proportion of shorthaul. Any flights not operating will be refunded or re-accommodated on other airlines’ services. You would still earn your BAEC TPs and miles if re-accommodated.

While you alone can calculate the risk to your travel plans, booking BA is a signal of support for right-minded cabin crew who want this dispute over; putting your money elsewhere could be said to play into BASSA’s hands.

Making a shorthaul connection is probably on the higher risk end of things, as you require four flights to work to plan and any delay could be serious.

Tete_de_cuvee
    Participant

Views from those better positioned to comment and provide impartial Q&A advice…

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travelnews/8411737/BA-strikes-consumer-QandA.html

buying travel insurance before any dates being announced is wise

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2011/mar/29/ba-strike-passengers-buy-travel-insurance

the exposure is until mid-July

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/article-1371101/BA-strikes-Cabin-crew-vote-Easter-action.html

“This puts the Easter break and the late May half term holiday at risk from action that could potentially run until mid-July. Visitors flying in for the wedding later next month could also be affected. Unite general secretary Len McCluskey has already warned families: ‘Don’t go on holiday.’

Tim2soza
    Participant

VK, I believe you have broken a habit of a lifetime and made a small error. I believe it is 25th April that is the deadline for announcing a strike date. My apologies if I falsely accuse you!

Your other points are well made, only some short haul LHR flights will be affected. All other BA flights will operate normally.

VintageKrug
    Participant

I have corrected! Low blood sugar levels pre-lunch are my only defence.

There really is minimal risk of any signicant disruption; BASSA’s ballots are a sideshow, not the main event.

continentalclub
    Participant

RoadKing‘s situation would be slightly different in that s/he would be connecting on separate tickets. I therefore appreciate their concern that their first flight, say BRU-LHR, might be cancelled whilst their second, LHR-OSL, might operate.

However, it’s likely that any such cancellation would take place days beforehand, and the operating carrier would make alternative arrangements (which may even include Eurostar) to get a passenger to LHR on time.

This would apply to any carrier, but I understand RoadKing‘s specific concern in this particular scenario.

In the case of a very last-minute cancellation (which is much less likely), travel insurance might have to be relied upon, as the airline would not even necessarily be aware of the complete intinerary.

A good travel insurance policy will cover passengers affected in such circumstances, but only when cover is taken out prior to the announcement of any actual industrial action, and then only up to the amounts stated in the policy documents. It will usually be the policyholder’s responsibility to actually rebook and then claim.

Personally, I would generally be of the opinion that there’s limited real risk of any disruption occuring and given the stated preference for BA and the desire to mantain Executive Club status, then I would book without too much concern.

Tim2soza
    Participant

VK – I hope your lunch is long and replenishing!

RoadKing
    Participant

Thank you all of you for the feeback.

I trust there will be no strike, besides I have travel insurance. BA it is!

tgriley
    Participant

This quote from Ryanair made me chuckle – they never miss an opportunity for a bit of free publicity:

“Ryanair is starting to really warm to the UNITE union, who continue to cause uncertainty for BA holidaymakers at peak times of the year. And now, with their fourth set of strikes in less than 18 months, they will encourage even more BA passengers to switch to Ryanair’s low fare strike free flights this Easter and summer.

“We have sent UNITE 18 red roses to mark the 18 months of holiday misery and uncertainty they have inflicted on BA passengers and their families and we have placed these dinosaurs at the very top of our Christmas card list as we welcome their efforts to encourage BA passengers to switch to Ryanair’s strike-free, low fares services. We think UNITE is a wonderful, if sadly misguided and deluded, union.”

Hippocampus
    Participant

BA has stated that in the event of a strike in addition to operating a full long haul schedule from LHR it will serve every destination on its short haul network.

http://www.britishairways.com/travel/strike-schedule-plans/public/en_gb

I would book with confidence. The chances of a strike either happening or having any significant impact are low.

TravelwaveBerlin
    Participant

any news ????

VintageKrug
    Participant

Nothing has changed; if they are to announce a strike it must be announced before 25th April.

Only Unite, the lead Union, can authorise strike action, not BASSA the errant Branch.

Any strike would have minimal effect BA’s operations. As a passenger it is not affecting my plans one jot.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls