BA STRIKE OFF. Injunction Granted.

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)

• Anonymous

VintageKrug
    Participant

Injunction granted. AGAIN. Whatever you think of the rights and wrongs of the situation, this union really should be thoroughly ashamed of itself – a disgrace.

Cabin crew should reconsider having this shockingly unprofessional organisation represent their interests.

Well done BA Management.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/10119196.stm

This casts doubt on the Union’s ability to maintain the dispute, and opens the door to potential legal action on Unite to recover costs and damages directly from the Union (which is almost bankrupt itself, given its recent futile £11m splurge to support the Labour Party during its failed election bid).

That could amount to between £50m-£100m of costs to be borne by Unite, which has assets roughly equivalent to that sun, but is currently running a deficit in the several millions. Tony Woodley and Unite must rue the day they aligned themselves with the incompetents at BASSA.

With June 12 rapidly coming upon us, it will be difficult for any further strikes to be organised within the timeframe; after that date crew become unprotected and should they choose to strike it could result in dismissal or redundancy.

RichardG
    Participant

VK, I couldn’t agree with you more. The shameful conduct of Unite and their blatant ignorance or disregard of the law should be a lesson to the folks they claim to represent. The crew need to accept that they were wrong, the pay settlement is fair but the staff travel will not be reinstated on the old terms and the disciplinary procedures against those who have fallen foul of BA protocol will continue.

BABenji
    Participant

in the Homer Simpson style: “woo hoo!”

Marvelous news.

CharlieBrown
    Participant

I honestly don’t see how Unite and the bizarre stubbornness of the striking cabin crew can go on. The biased representation of Heathrow crew against those at Gatwick pretty much says it all. I think a Unite defeat will be almost as important and symbolic in the history of British employment relations as the Miners’ strike (I also had a university exam on employment relations today haha!)

Isabel07
    Participant

I think there is a lot of us out there that want this hilarious dispute to find a (legal) finish. It’s too disprupting to people’s travel – more than the ash cloud.

StephenLondon
    Participant

VK – 12 June is no longer any worry – the ballot was deemed to have been spoiled by failing to announce all results to those who took part in the ballot…thus the original March strike can now be deemed illegal… there is no mandate to strike any longer.

A whole new ballot would need to be (legally) executed, with all i’s dotted and t’s crossed, for any further strike action to take place. Personally, I can’t see that happening…I would guess there are quite a few union people (and a few crew) who are scared witless this morning.

VintageKrug
    Participant

I would imagine they will wait for the judgement of the Court which is due Thursday morning. That could lead to resumption of strike action, though I doubt it.

It would take another week to publicise and execute another strike ballot. Another week after that to give notice of a strike. So about 3 June might be the potential start date.

It’s quite obvious Unite want to settle this dispute and the Trots at BASSA are hell bent on confrontation.

Will be an interesting fortnight..!

VintageKrug
    Participant

Excellent Times editorial today.

Regardless of the outcome of legal squabbles, a walkout by BA crew is indefensible

“In a democracy, the right to strike is important. But that does not mean that all of those who wish to strike are right. The Court of Appeal may have ruled the proposed strike of British Airways cabin crew illegal only on a technicality but the nature of this ruling should not affect anybody’s understanding of the proposed industrial action itself. It would have been counter-productive, stupid, and wrong.”

…….

“Willie Walsh has taken on the unions with a mixture of courage and common sense. It is time for BA’s workforce to stop thinking only of themselves, and start thinking of their company, the economy, and most of all, their passengers.”

Whole piece worth a read if you have a spare few minutes.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/leading_article/article7130098.ece

JohnPhelanAustralia
    Participant

What the …. ???????

CharlieBrown
    Participant

You assume however that these are the only changes Walsh plans to introduce, which is the premise of your argument ‘geohoveuk’.

VintageKrug
    Participant

I think you mean “and your travel plans are being wrecked by whom?” not “by who?”

I can only assume geo has finally lost it. Or has just enjoyed a good glass of wine with his mignons at the office.

The_Flying_Nurse
    Participant

geohoveuk, this isn’t a personal attack on you but my heart really does sink when I read your posts. You seem to be living in a fantasy world, will not listen to the very valid points that others make, clearly have an agenda and are extremely misguided. I am ex cabin crew and can see both points of the argument, ie the cabin crew’s issues and management’s issues. BA worldwide crew at Heathrow have had it too good for too long and in comparison to cabin crew at most other airlines are overindulged and spoiled. Almost everyone has been affected by the worldwide recession and many people have had no choice but to make changes to their lifestyles. Unite leaders have not helped the situation and seem to be no more than militant thugs. Do yourself and others a favour and keep it buttoned if you feel the urge to have a rant on here. Your posts are embarassing, often offensive and make no valid contribution to the threads you comment on or to the site in general.

JonathanCohen09
    Participant

Hello The_Flying_Nurse,

thank you for an excellent post that might just get GEO to see some sense or bring some balance to his posts. If not then I am not sure what planet he inhabits.

Please feel free to add posts like this one more often if you can.

Safe travels everyone,

Jonathan

PS JohnPhelanAustralia I could not agree more

The_Flying_Nurse
    Participant

Hello JonathanCohen09,

thank you for your comment. I don’t submit many posts but I read others often and am really grateful for the useful information and comments they make as I sometimes fly several times a week. The comments that geohoveuk makes are often full of anger and actually quite upsetting and destructive in their nature. There is no need for it.

Thanks again.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls