BA STRIKE BACK ON. Injunction Reversed.

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 140 total)

• Travellator
    Participant

So there is a consensus that this is a huge amount of money whether given by Unite to Labour or it being spent on keeping BA flying that could change the living conditions in parts of the world where an aeroplane is something many will not ever have the chance to fly in.

VintageKrug
    Participant

Could you clarify that last comment – I am not clear what you mean to say ???

Travellator
    Participant

just my social conscience really probably after too much Marques de Riscal over lunch, these people are striking monetary wise for an increase that people in some third world countries wont earn in a lifetime and certainly many/most couldnt afford to fly.

VintageKrug
    Participant

Indeed, but these things are relative!

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Oh – I thought it was the word “aeroplane” that VK needed clariffication on!

VintageKrug
    Participant

Surely you meant to say “on which VK needed clarification” 😉

continentalclub
    Participant

I’ve just had an email from our group travel people to say that BA are going to ‘reopen for sale a flight from Hong Kong, Miami and Los Angeles later in the week.’

It also says that they ‘are also upgrading some short haul flights to provide more capacity’.

Fairly vague, but in the case of the HKG, MIA and LAX flights, I assume that they mean that, compared to the schedule of the last few days, they’re going to be adding another flight in to the next strike period.

The info, such as it is, might be useful/comforting to any BT Forum readers who are heading to/from those destinations and who might have been expecting their flight to be cancelled based on early precedent.

continentalclub
    Participant

It may be worth noting that British Airways World Cargo, unlike many other airlines with cargo operations, doesn’t actually have any dedicated freighters.

Although they have an arrangement with Global Supply Systems, I believe that the majority of their consignments go in the belly of passenger aircraft.

Accordingly, it presumably follows that freight customers will expect their loads to be transported as normal, and BA World Cargo will be contractually-bound to do so.

I’d therefore have thought it highly unlikely that aircraft will be taking off empty; indeed their freight payloads could be increased if there is no passenger payload.

As a reasonably regular consignor myself, I certainly see no particular reason why my cartons should be delayed due to cabin crew absence. Indeed, their presence is quite irrelevant.

OT: I’m sure I remember it being reported that at the inception of the NZ38/39 service via Hong Kong, it was actually cargo that made the route and frequency so attractive and initially viable. Slightly further OT, but I suspect that it was a reduction in freight (rather than passenger) yields for Air New Zealand that resulted in the subsequent reduction in LHR-HKG and vv frequency.

Account_Deleted
    Participant

Account deleted

VintageKrug
    Participant

No – Unite has currently wasted over £1m of union subscriptions defending its incompetence, and has lost two of the three cases for which it was taken to court.

I would imagine BA will now be pursuing Unite for the lost earnings incurred as a consequence of this strike.

Where did you read there was to be further court action?

VintageKrug
    Participant

Please point me to the….actually I am not going to bother addressing your misquotations.

It is quite clear we have largely differing views and your posts are so full of holes that it’s not actually worth dignifying your posts with a considered response.

The Union has done untold harm to BA and has directly impacted its members negatively; BASSA has been “broken” according to their own leadership, and no-one will win this dispute, but the main losers will be Unite’s misguided membership.

Cwyfan
    Participant

GEO

Every other time I have posted, you have been quick to fire one off at me, except for the one where I wrote:

So GEO, your company does not fly BA as it is too expensive. As it is not making profits, it clearly would attract customers like you back if it reduced its cost base to become less expensive

Suggest that you email BA to say that is your position

My experience has always been that those who can, do, and those who can’t be bothered become the union rep

Perhaps Ntarrant was right in his response to me about it

JonathanCohen09
    Participant

Geo,

why do you feel the need to be so rude to posters who ask you completely reasonable questions about your position as KM did.

Perhaps we should now simply ignore your posts as they are repetitive and on many occassions do not make sense.

I am still waiting for you to respond to the points I made about your references to ‘nazis’ or are you ignoring me on that as you ignored KM?

NTarrant
    Participant

No you are not rude, not honest either Geo, just down right offensive. Now you are talking about the Gestapo, which is as bad as Nazi’s.

What you said “You simply do not realise all the cost cutting measures in place which have already deteriorated the product.” to KMC, yes, they made the mistake of cutting the product before cutting the crew. That was the mistake. They should have cut the crew harder and earlier before cutting the product. Really they are your words Geo, that is what YOU are saying

JonathanCohen09
    Participant

Geo,

on your right to freedom of speech, I have absolutely no problem.

I do however have a huge problem with the use of the term Nazi in a completely inappropriate context and unfortunately Geo your changing ‘Nazi’ to ‘Gestapo’ on a small technicality makes no difference as the ‘Gestapo’ were one of the agencies who carried out the wishes of the regime.

I therefore find your using either term in the context of this dispute to be deeply offensive and would urge you to consider very carefully when you use these terms and who you compare those people to.

Those dragged off to the concentration camps did not worry, on a small technicality, about whether the people doing it were nazis or the gestapo as to all of them they were one and the same thing.

Yes, Geo, you have hit a very raw nerve with me when it comes to these terms as unless, like me and many others, you have a relative who survived that regime you can have no conception of what exactly these people did and why your inappropriate use of either term is so upsetting and offensive.

My apologies to others for my slight rant, but this is very important to me and I could not let Geo’s post go without comment.

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 140 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls