BA Stewardess Racist/Offensive Video – Wind-up or Real?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)

• FDOS_UK
    Participant

Don’t watch the video, unless you are prepared for a foul, racist, rant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07VBLa4RMKs

I cannot believe that this is real – what do others think?

capetonianm
    Participant

Real in all probability.

Many aircrew hate the Nigerian flights and feel the same way as this foolish young woman. Her mistake was being caught saying what most of them think.

esselle
    Participant

Doesn’t she look rather too well presented to be BA crew?

MarkivJ
    Participant

It looks staged – no FA is that dumb to post this rant. That said, I can’t disagree with what she’s saying. I’d have just said it more politely!

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Isn’t her badge on the wrong side? Pretty sure it’s worn on their left.

openfly
    Participant

@capetonianm….I think the crews actually like the LOS and ACC flights…only 6 hours, no time change and non-stop duty free sales (loads of commission)!! ?

I think that these flights are operated by Legacy crew who are “more mature” than the Mixed fleet crews, so I think this video could well be a “joke”.

capetonianm
    Participant

I don’t see anything racist about this at all.

Childish and stupid for sure, but people are always too quick to draw the race card. I suppose I will be accused of ‘racism’ if I says that she looks and sounds like a common low-class little Essex girl, or is it only ‘racism’ when you poke fun at non-Aryans?

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=828445] @capetonianm….I think the crews actually like the LOS and ACC flights…only 6 hours, no time change and non-stop duty free sales (loads of commission)!! ?

I think that these flights are operated by Legacy crew who are “more mature” than the Mixed fleet crews, so I think this video could well be a “joke”.

[/quote]

IIRC, Lagos is MF and Accra is WW.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=828446]I don’t see anything racist about this at all.

Childish and stupid for sure, but people are always too quick to draw the race card. I suppose I will be accused of ‘racism’ if I says that she looks and sounds like a common low-class little Essex girl, or is it only ‘racism’ when you poke fun at non-Aryans?

[/quote]

Nah, this one is racist. I’m not a snowflake about these things, but the video calls out a specific nationality and then makes highly derogatory remarks about it.

Your comment about ‘Essex Girl’ is derogatory stereotyping, but is not racist. (Actually the accent does not sound to be from Essex, but the stereotype fits).

capetonianm
    Participant

Nationality and race are different concepts although there may be an overlap. In the same way being anti Israeli does not necessarily make somebody anti-semitic, particularly taking into consideration the fact that Arabs are also a semitic race.

Flightlevel
    Participant

Capetonianm +1
    Its a joke ‘though probably what many feel,trolley dollies don’t we just love them!

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=828456]Nationality and race are different concepts although there may be an overlap. In the same way being anti Israeli does not necessarily make somebody anti-semitic, particularly taking into consideration the fact that Arabs are also a semitic race.

[/quote]

The legal position in England and Wales is that the Equalities Act 2010 defines race as:

Race

(1)Race includes—

(a)colour;

(b)nationality;

(c)ethnic or national origins.

(2)In relation to the protected characteristic of race—

(a)a reference to a person who has a particular protected characteristic is a reference to a person of a particular racial group;

(b)a reference to persons who share a protected characteristic is a reference to persons of the same racial group.

(3)A racial group is a group of persons defined by reference to race; and a reference to a person’s racial group is a reference to a racial group into which the person falls.

(4)The fact that a racial group comprises two or more distinct racial groups does not prevent it from constituting a particular racial group.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2010/15/section/9

Thus the racial group ‘Nigerians’ is recognised and protected and the video (even if intended in humour) is racist.

As I said before, I’m not a snowflake and have defended you from strong attack by other posters, but this video is what it is.

mkcol74
    Participant

What a stupid girl for having shared her ignorant opinions online. I do wonder if she, as with so many others, actually understand that once something is online it is there forever.

PS: I think it’s genuine. Unfortunately.

mkcol74
    Participant

[quote quote=828480]

Nationality and race are different concepts although there may be an overlap. In the same way being anti Israeli does not necessarily make somebody anti-semitic, particularly taking into consideration the fact that Arabs are also a semitic race.

The legal position in England and Wales is that the Equalities Act 2010 defines race as:

Race

(1)Race includes—

(a)colour;

(b)nationality;

(c)ethnic or national origins.

(2)In relation to the protected characteristic of race—

(a)a reference to a person who has a particular protected characteristic is a reference to a person of a particular racial group;

(b)a reference to persons who share a protected characteristic is a reference to persons of the same racial group.

(3)A racial group is a group of persons defined by reference to race; and a reference to a person’s racial group is a reference to a racial group into which the person falls.

(4)The fact that a racial group comprises two or more distinct racial groups does not prevent it from constituting a particular racial group.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2010/15/section/9

Thus the racial group ‘Nigerians’ is recognised and protected and the video (even if intended in humour) is racist.

As I said before, I’m not a snowflake and have defended you from strong attack by other posters, but this video is what it is.

[/quote]

Thinking further on this, I suspect she may have breached Section 127 of the Communications Act 2003 by having posted it on social media. How about the person who recorded it & posted it to YouTube though, are they as bad?!

It’s pleasing to read in the comments of the YouTube that it’s been reported to BA & they are investigating.

capetonianm
    Participant

The law, as is frequently stated, is an ass.

What is more important is that the silly little girl involved has been identified and disciplined and I assume will never fly again for a commercial airline, and rightly so. She has brought her employer into disrepute.

I do wonder if she, as with so many others, actually understand that once something is online it is there forever.

A lesson many people need to learn.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls