BA Starts 787 Long Haul

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 62 total)

• Tallinnman
    Participant

Will not go anywhere near any 787 with 9 across or a 777 with 10 across.

Bucksnet
    Participant

I would, but not in economy 😉

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Only two carriers, ANA and JAL, configure their B787s 8-across in Y. But as we have reported, ANA has now configured some of its B787s 9-across.

But it is anomalous that short-haul pax (flying conventional airlines) are now offered more space than their long-haul counterparts.

sparkyflier
    Participant

I wonder if part of the reason as to why short haul might get more space than long haul is down to turnaround times – the speed at which people get in and out of their seats, thus shorter turnarounds, thus more flights and revenue earning for the operating carrier?

Bucksnet
    Participant

No it’s seat width, so the same number of passengers with the same difficultly/ease of getting in and out of their seats.

rferguson
    Participant

In regards to the size of the economy seat – well the devil is in the detail as per usual.

Having worked on the 787 and trying out all the various seats I definitely felt the 787 seat was tighter than other BA aircraft in Y. However, the engineers assured me that the seat is the same width as other longhaul aircraft at BA. Anyhow, my net trip was working on a 777, also with the ‘787’ style new seating. And what I noticed was, although the seat BASE is the same (ie 17.5″) the space at shoulder height is definitely tighter on the 787. On the 777 for instance the top of the seats are not literally joining – there is an inch or so at shoulder level between seats. Not so on the 787. At shoulder level they are pushed closer together.

I’m surprised that the next 787 destination has not yet been announced. Given that Jo’Burg has been announced for Feb for the A380 and that BA should have three or four 787’s by then it is a little odd. My guess is IAD.

***These are my personal views and not of my employer***

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Tallinnman

+1

HedgeFundFlyer
    Participant

G-ZBJC was suppose to be delivered last week and wasn’t so I suspect there will now be a delay in rolling out the next destination.

Bucksnet
    Participant

Well BA have the first 2 and the training flights appear to have been completed, so the second route should start soon.

@rferguson

This is a long shot and I understand if you don’t answer: was that you on the flight to Stockholm on Saturday? For the benefit of other posters I am referring to a tall, handsome type who clearly loves his job and kindly informed me that I hadn’t dribbled while my eyes were closed.

IanFromHKG
    Participant

And I also wondered if I had met rferguson (or another of our wonderful crew posters) on the upper deck on my BA9 flight on 23 June from HKG to BKK – since I was grumbling about BA refusing to check my bag through onto a TG flight and he suggested I … write about it on BT!!!

He matched all the other attributes alexpo1 described – apart from commenting about drooling, that is 😉

rferguson
    Participant

It would be great if we could identify ourselves to forumites for upcoming or previous flights.

To be honest though we would be swimming in murky waters if BA could identify us by posting which flights we have or will be working on. I would imagine we would have a pretty rapid summons to the office especially if one had given their personal opinions on BA products or services (and not always glowing ones).

I know it might sound a little OTT and not to go off topic but it wasn’t so long ago BA were monitoring employees FaceBook profile and many crew found themselves suspended for many months for the slightest tip of the tongue – or I should say index finger – in posting anything remotely negative about BA.

As they say, Big Brother is watching. And I am absolutely certain BA monitors these websites.
    ***these are my personal views only and not that of my employer***

IanFromHKG
    Participant

Quite understood, rferguson, and we certainly wouldn’t want to get you or your colleagues into trouble!

If it was you, though – thanks, apart from the luggage issue it was a great flight 🙂

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Ian, BA009 HKG-BKK ??

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 62 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls