BA squeezing two more rows into short-haul aircraft.

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 58 total)

• AMcWhirter
    Participant

openfly – Officially BA is saying that as the retrofit will not start until 2018 there is no accurate information available at present. Pitch currently remains unchanged in both classes.

openfly
    Participant

Thanks Alex.
    My comments are based on the email reply from Snr Cruz office a few days ago.
    Let’s hope that you are correct in that the “Squeeze Programme” doesn’t start until well into 2018. Or maybe the reduction of seat pitch has been put on hold after the reaction from the premium passenger community.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

openfly – I asked the PR people over and over again for clarification. I asked them several times if they would put details of the pitch in writing.

I am told nothing can be put in writing until BA has decided exactly what to do with the A320 configuration. At the present time the A320 configuration remains unchanged.

If anyone knows better then please let us know.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Just to update you on the situation at British Airways.

Seat manufacturer Recaro has announced that BA has bought 9,000 of its slimline, lightweight seats.

These new seats will be installed on a new fleet of A320neo and A321neo (neo = new engine option) aircraft which will enter service with BA in 2018 and will allow it to increase seating capacity.

New seat supplier for British Airways short-haul

drflight
    Participant

These are the Recaro 3510 seats and there is one aspect about them I welcome which is they cannot be reclined. The seats are set at a fixed angle and this will eliminate the annoying habit of someone sitting down and immediately wanting to recline their seat as far back as possible into your space!

canucklad
    Participant

Having sat in Easyjet’s version this morning on a short hop from EDI to Belfast, I sure wouldn’t want to sit my arse in them on a flight to Cyprus or the Canaries. Or to be exact, my back, not the most comfortable of seats.

It’s like sitting on a commuter train.

openfly
    Participant

Because the seats cannot be reclined it’s a perfect opportunity to reduce the pitch to the promised 28″. Certainly a non-enhancement of the Club Europe product!

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

I flew on one of Easyjet’s NEO aircraft with the Recaro seating installed just before Christmas and took a picture of the seats…

Easyjet-front-row-NEO

It is astonishing how thin they are….

rferguson
    Participant

Well here’s a bit of GOOD news for select intra europe flyers on BA:

https://airlinegeeks.com/2018/01/02/british-airways-applies-for-additional-wet-lease-aircraft-from-qatar-airways/

Quite a few posts refer to loyalty and who they would/wouldn’t fly with. I think in reality, manly people have given up on loyalty when it comes to airlines. Including myself. I like the perks of OW Emerald but as soon as i’ve clocked up the required tier points my loyalty goes out the window. And for how much longer will it be worth chasing airline FF status? Most airports generally offer good food and beverage options, free wifi and paid for Fast Track/priority boarding and paid for lounges anyway.

Would I fly BA with a 28in pitch over Easyjet or Ryanair? Well it would depend. If i’m flying to AMS or CDG and the fare difference was not too great probably, yes. If I was flying to Athens or Istanbul likely not. And I think the majority of people probably work along the same lines – work out where they want to fly from and to, which airlines fly that route. What the airlines are charging. Their timetables. Where your ‘local’ london airport is for those living in London. And decide on a case by case basis.

openfly
    Participant

@RFerguson….very interesting regarding the QR wet lease. Any insider info as to what the “exceptional needs” implies? Maybe it’s cheaper to “borrow” and operate the QR a/c than use their own!!

You are so right. These days go for Gold, trigger it, and move on, especially when confronted by 30” seat pitch in Club Europe…and the promise of 28” in the near future. Premium price but not a Premium product. Easyjet is now offering an excellent short haul product in all aspects of their flights. The sensible option is for BA to admit they have lost the BAttle. To start with, turn LGW into a Vueling/Level operation….a proper low-cost product. Then see how that goes and move that product into LHR. Big changes ahead?

Reducing the seat pitch to 28” certainly won’t help. I experienced the 28” on Vueling…never again!

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

I’m not sure the pitch is 28 inches – has that been confirmed?

rferguson
    Participant

My friend who works shorthaul flights ex LHR has just done his training course for the NEO aircraft.

So, it seems the aircraft will have a mix of the current seats and the new non reclining ones. On the A320 rows 1-12 and on the A321 rows 1-14 will keep the current seats and have USB ports added. Behind, the new seats will be added which he was told on his course have a pitch of 29″.

Openfly – I think the QR aircraft are to cover the flying program as some of the NEO aircraft have been delayed.

rferguson
    Participant

Actually openfly I just found out it has to do with filling the acquired Monarch slots. The flying program hadn’t factored this in previously and so need additional aircraft. According to sources in BA the QR option isn’t a done deal and they are also reviewing other options (leasing Titan etc).

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

[quote quote=844535]My friend who works shorthaul flights ex LHR has just done his training course for the NEO aircraft.
    So, it seems the aircraft will have a mix of the current seats and the new non reclining ones. On the A320 rows 1-12 and on the A321 rows 1-14 will keep the current seats and have USB ports added. Behind, the new seats will be added which he was told on his course have a pitch of 29″.
    [/quote]

So I suppose there will be a differential between Club Europe and Euro Traveller.

Also, does that mean that Duty free will remain with the majority of short haul flights, and only be missing for the NEO aircraft as they are introduced from March 2018?

It would make it a bit hit and miss as to whether you could buy something, since few people would know if they were on a NEO beforehand (or even then – well, until they see the seats).
    tom

rferguson
    Participant

Tom Duty Free is getting the chop from short haul flights. On the NEO the loo essentially is where about a third of the current galley stowages are currently. So DF is going. Also, Club will be capped at a maximum number as much of the return CE catering is usually stowed at the back of the aircraft. Again there will be no room for it. Finally, there will be no bins, nor no potable water in the rear galley. So if you want that complimentary cup of water from the tank you may wait even longer.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 58 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls