BA Short Haul buy on board.

Back to Forum
Viewing 8 posts - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)

• TiredOldHack2
    Participant

[quote quote=979856]Yes some passengers were greedy. They would fill their hand luggage with the items on display … to be consumed later.[/quote]

I still see that being done, copiously and frequently, in lounges.

1 user thanked author for this post.

canucklad
    Participant

[quote quote=979837]A few months ago I flew GLA/LCY on the morning run with CityFlyer. On boarding I could smell the bacon rolls[/quote]

I wonder what the BA branding/marketing team make of this service discrepancy.

EDI-LCY = BA flight number, BA livery and service you’d expect from an airline that brands itself as high end.

EDI -LHR = BA flight number , BA livery and then a service you’d expect if you where flying to Luton rather than London’s premium airport.

Customer perception of businesses tend to plummet when expectations aren’t met.
    Worse still, if customers “feel” there is an inconsistency in a brand that usually leads to a mistrust in that business
    So, if you regularly use the City Flyer service and then change to the mainline service , guess what value you’re going to put on the price of your ticket ?

rferguson
    Participant

I don’t disagree with buy-on-board on short haul flights when it is executed well – a good range, a range that has good stocking levels, and the technology that enables it to be served quickly.

BA fails on these points – I don’t like the range (predominantly sandwiches and snakcs), stock is constantly running out (which can be a big deal for some on flights around the four hour mark especially when a tarmac delay is thrown in) and the technology is lacking (machines that are constantly failing, do not accept US credit cards etc).

Also – I believe tea, coffee and water should be free.

I find it particularly confusing when airlines add complexity into it or develop a ‘hybrid’ BOB model. I found this recently in Australia domestically. Qantas charges for booze at certain times but not others.

Virgin Australia is even worse – they went from a pure loco (Virgin Blue) to a full service (Virgin Australia) and now owing to their continuing financial difficulties had made things complicated in economy. Soft drinks, beer and wine are free….but only if you are on a flight departing 17:00-19:00 monday -friday! On other flights water, juice, tea and coffee are free. But only the one…ask for a juice and tea and you’ll be charged. What makes it particularly difficult is if you look at the virginaustralia website (and they are not alone here) they do not really spell out the offering. SO if you are Joe Public and happen to fly Sydney to Brisbane on a 17:00 flight and ask for a beer and receive it gratis i’d guess if you were flying home on a flight departing at 16:00 you’d be surprised to be asked for a credit card.

Expectations are a funny one Canucklad and they do vary widely.

I don’t work in economy often. This isn’t so much a matter of choice on my part it’s just the way it goes with allocating positions on board but I digress.

I found myself working in economy on a long haul flight the other week and was thinking just how peoples expectations really are poles apart now. For example I was surprised how often this scenario played out – ‘would you like something to drink from the bar sir/madam’. ‘Oh no i’m fine thanks’. ‘Are you sure’?. ‘Oh yes’. Bar service would finish then i’d wheel out the meal trolley. ‘Would you like the chicken tandoori or that pasta marinara’? ‘errrm…how does it work with the meals? Does everyone just get one’? Then go on to explain that yes indeed meals and all drinks are complimentary. These conversations are becoming far more common than in the past, i’m not sure if it’s down to people flying with Norwegian et al more regularly of people connecting from a short haul service and assuming the long haul flights are the same modus operandi.

On the other end of the scale on the same flight in the same cabin you find customers disappointed that we don’t offer complimentary champagne or that they do not like the choice of wine.

capetonianm
    Participant

It wouldn’t require a great deal of foresight and programming work to mention what type of catering (or none) is included at the booking and confirmation stage, to eliminate confusion and discussions.
    In the same way as confirmation/eticket receipts will show :
    ‘0 checked bags included. 1 cabin bag up to 20x40x50cm 10kgs.’
    They could add :
    ‘Coffee/tea, soft drinks free. Alcoholic beverages and all food chargeable.’
    It is usually included as a single letter code in the FLIFO which airlines send to the GDS, it wouldn’t be a major effort to decode and display it.

B BREAKFAST
    K CONTINENTAL BREAKFAST
    L LUNCH
    D DINNER
    S SNACK OR BRUNCH
    O COLD MEAL
    H HOT MEAL
    M MEAL (NON-SPECIFIC)
    R REFRESHMENT
    C ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES COMPLIMENTARY
    F FOOD FOR PURCHASE
    P ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES FOR PURCHASE
    Y DUTY FREE SALES AVAILABLE
    N NO MEAL SERVICE
    V REFRESHMENTS FOR PURCHASE
    G FOOD AND BEVERAGES FOR PURCHASE

As for card acceptance, a friend flew on a BA ZRH-LHR on Saturday and was unable to purchase anything as she only had cash and two Swiss debit cards, neither of which worked. I understand they don’t accept Revolut and similar prepaid and multi-currency debit cards, which are becoming increasingly popular.

rferguson
    Participant

Exactly Capetonian….ridiculous they do not accept debit cards. These are the predominant card used by residents in many euro countries. The same for prepaid cards like Revolut as people often get these purely for the purpose of travel.

canucklad
    Participant

[quote quote=980476]Expectations are a funny one Canucklad and they do vary widely.[/quote]

[quote quote=980494]a friend flew on a BA ZRH-LHR on Saturday and was unable to purchase anything as she only had cash and two Swiss debit cards, neither of which worked.[/quote]

And I wonder if your friend will opt for BA as they’re first choice airline next time !
    As I’ve said before, if you fail to do the basics right, you’ve failed.

People will forgive a breakdown in service levels if its deemed to be over and above the expected norm, but the above experience is unforgivable !!

1 user thanked author for this post.

PhilipHart
    Participant

The reason that one receives free F&B on Cityflyer, is because it would require an additional member of cabin crew (over and above the current complement of 2) to effectively operationalise BOB, and BA has calculated that it is cheaper not to do so.

PhilipHart
    Participant

@alainboy56 it is more probable that someone has accidentally clicked “Report” rather the intended adjacent “Reply” button.

I’ve commented on this innumerable times, and have even offered to provide for free the one line of javascript which would pop up a confirmation dialog to ensure that “Report” was the intended rather accidental action.

But so far this has fallen on deaf ears at BT.

Viewing 8 posts - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls