BA Short Haul buy on board.

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)

• alainboy56
    Participant

Thanks canucklad, but I have just re-read my ‘piece’ and note that it has been reported for ‘inappropriate content’
    Now who would report that? And what do you say Tom?
    Was anything I wrote there ‘INAPPROPRIATE’?
    I believe we have some ‘snowflakes’ in our midsts — or maybe it was the SCUD himself who didnt like the truth being spelt out so clearly!
    Any ideas anyone?

1 user thanked author for this post.

capetonianm
    Participant

You and I both, alainboy56!

There appears to be someone who infests this forum who reports as inappropriate anything that he/she disagrees with. Or it may just be that someone has finger trouble, but when I’ve accidentally marked a posting as inappropriate, I’ve posted an apology, and if I felt a posting deserved reporting, I would explain why.
    Sadly, some people have no backbone.

alainboy56
    Participant

Gentlemen, I also remind you all that the SCUD is on record, maybe 3 years ago, quoting something along the lines of “I promise I will not Ryanairise BA”
    So could anyone out there whom maybe far, far more intelligent than me – tell me what exactly did he do to the European/Short Haul routes then?
    Does anyone remember that famous chap (former) Pres. Bill Clinton saying and this time I do quote “I did not have sexual relations with that woman” (Lewinsky)
    IMHO its the same and indeed both did/will get away with it!

DavidSmith2
    Participant

I am a bit out of date as I rarely fly BA within Europe nowadays. But when BoB came in and I was doing the odd Eurotraveller flight, I was very happy. The pill was probably sweetened by the fact I could submit the receipt, but the M&S range was a huge improvement on what was previously given out to economy passengers. And I would then occasionally use a few points to buy a G&T or something.

But, as previous posters have said, you can get much better at one of the airport shops, for the ex-UK leg (a bit more hit and miss for return flights).

TominScotland
    Participant

[postquote quote=979680][/postquote]

Capetonianm, you would like to think so. However, I would be interested to know whether there is much reuse. Take my 06.05 GLA-AMS flight. The sandwiches are yesterday’s, having been loaded in Amsterdam the day before. Would they be fit for reuse on another flight which, surely, will be fully re-catered when it gets back to AMS?

canucklad
    Participant

Here’s a suggestion for KLM, and would like to know your opinion Tom if it’s a viable alternative to those pesky sandwiches ……..

Rather than load individual meals for each passenger , you load the aircraft as if it’s a flying café. Each crew responsible for its own aircrafts ingredients

On KLM’s short haul planes , they could rota a taste of Holland & on aircraft predominately rostered to ABZ-EDI & GL the following —-

A catering pack of Gouda & Edam singlet cheeses ( 2 x 500 units)
    Replace fresh bread & rolls load with Dutch Toast
    Catering pack of Long life margarine
    Catering pack of Scottish Short bread or caramel wafers
    Catering pack of ambient Smoked sausage packs , similar but better than Pepperami

Crew fill Dutch Delft kitchen platters with cheese, meat and toast and allow passengers to pick and mix as they wish from the presentation
    Ass stocks diminish the cabin crew order more from the KLM kitchens to ne replenished when the plane arrives back at Schiphol —It’s not rocket science

An added benefit , over and above the reduction in waste is the engagement between crew and customer !

tomwjsimpson
    Participant

Sounds good to me on the ABZ flights!

FaroFlyer
    Participant

I am sure that, 10 years ago or more, SAS, and Luftie, used to have a trolley with sandwiches, or snacks, at the gate for you to pick up from if you wanted. That would save time, money and in flight weight, and if you wanted 2 sandwiches, who cared. Any not collected were there for the next flight, and the next.

A bit like taking a newspaper at the gate.

7 users thanked author for this post.

capetonianm
    Participant

This has been discussed before and it was never concluded why it wasn’t successful or followed through. I used to travel Lufthansa a lot in the late 80s and early 90s.

You would see the odd greedy pig who would fill a case with food to feed his family for a month but from what i saw most people were reasonable and fair about helping themselves. I thought it was a great idea.

2 users thanked author for this post.

alainboy56
    Participant

But we are missing the real point here.

The food on short haul/Europe, I am sure most of us can take or leave, and manage our hunger pangs in some way or other. Nonetheless there have been some good ideas here and reminders of past schemes.
    But what about the G & T, the odd glass of red or two, and even on the early morning flights, a coffee and/or a glass of juice or something.
    This is where BA (Beloved Airline) is letting us down, This is really where the SCUD should do a ‘U’ turn and stop immitating EZY and FR – its embarrassing!

Years ago I used to tease my (Finnish) wife on how measly and tight AY was/is with its European catering (also bear in mind that sitting on the north pole as they are, even LHR flights are almost a 3 hour ‘chocks to chocks’ duration).
    Well the shoe is most definately on the other foot now, a female foot at that, as at least AY gives free Tea/Coffee/Water/Blueberry Juice etc inter-Europe

And BA our beloved airline ?? NOTHING! Not even water, its disgraceful and pathetic !!

PatJordan
    Participant

Pre-packed sandwiches generally have a shelf life of a couple of days once they are correctly chilled, so “yesterday’s” sandwiches should be quite ok.

Stowage222
    Participant

A few months ago I flew GLA/LCY on the morning run with CityFlyer. On boarding I could smell the bacon rolls. However, as AlainBoy above states, I too refuse out of principle to BOB. Well I was pleased to see that as the crew started the service everyone got a roll! I also had a coffee, juice and water – all included. Let’s hope The Cruzifier doesn’t have the time to change their service.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

[quote quote=979779]This has been discussed before and it was never concluded why it wasn’t successful or followed through. I used to travel Lufthansa a lot in the late 80s and early 90s.[/quote]

I remember the Gate Buffet (that was how Lufthansa branded it) being available from the early 1990s.

As I recall it was for domestic flights only. Passengers could choose a selection of light snacks and fruit.

Yes some passengers were greedy. They would fill their hand luggage with the items on display … to be consumed later.

SimonS1
    Participant

[postquote quote=979829][/postquote]

The challenge of course is that airline handling is completely different to being sat in a supermarket chilled cabinet.

capetonianm
    Participant

I was quite surprised yesterday on a BA shorthaul in C yesterday to get a seafood platter for lunch, alternative was a Caesar salad, with humous starter and a chocolate mousse. Really not bad although apart from the the middle seat being blocked off, the seats were no better than in Y.

They also had the new M&S BoB menu with what looks like a rather nice steak and ale pie for about £4.50.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls