BA Seating

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 183 total)

• AllOverTheGaff
    Participant

pomerol – 13/06/2013 23:20 GMT

I’m sure VK appreciates your valued support.

The real issue with the forum is why whenever there is a discussion pertaining to British Airways there are emotional and hysterical responses from certain quarters who believe there to be some bizarre ‘agenda’ being foisted against a particular airline – it has baffled me since I first stumbled onto this place, in fact I think I mentioned it in my 2nd or 3 post here.

If you’d like to correct my assertion that BA’s seating isn’t old-fashioned, cramped, awkwardly designed and that the other airlines mentioned on this thread do not have superior hard products, I’m more than happy to engage in a debate.

However, if you have nothing meaningful to contribute, then I respectfully draw your attention to the disclaimer at the beginning of the thread.

Non-Farcically.
    AOTG.

craigwatson
    Participant

They are probably having this same discussion on the german forums, french forums, etc… AA, BA, IB are in the joint venture, the same as DL,AF and KL. Then you have UA, AC, LH all of these airlines are in joint ventures to the US/Canada. So if you call these “cartels”, but then have cartels competing with each other, then don’t you just go back to no cartels?

I don’t think you can say BA has lost a “ton of custom” to Aus, as they have only ever had a token presence there anyways.

Would agree that EK is a big competitor to BA on Africa, and Asia routes, but then so is CX, SQ. BA doesn’t have any one main competitor, it changes depending on where in the world we are talking…

In order for BA to have a better product than their competitors, they would pretty much have to have the best product in the world. a tall order. I think the strategy they have (actually not sure if it is a strategy or just luck) of a 100% consistent “good” product, rather than numerous different good, bad, great products of some other carriers works for them.

Just my opinion.

edited to;
    Im talking about long haul here, as I personally think club Europe is terrible value, unless a sale fare

AllOverTheGaff
    Participant

Hi Craig

Maybe it is my memory playing tricks on me, but didn’t BA used to fly 6 or 7 times a day to Sydney/Melbourne? When I flew to Syd I recall a massive selection of flights. (BA as well as QF)

Anyhoos, I don’t know that BA have to offer ‘the best’ seat, just one which competes in today’s market place. Direct aisle access I think is now fairly critical coupled with a decent IFE system. Their partner AA has just invested in this, why can’t BA? I mean this, why haven’t BA seen the way the seating has moved on and taken a decision to even trial it on their new planes?

An example: If I am flying LA return and have the option of the BA A380 in CW or AA’s 777-ER in business, there’s no comparison to me. It’d be AA every time as I’ve flown the A380 more than once. Had BA invested in a similar seating arrangement on their A380, and even if it cost me a few hundred pounds more, I’d have given the A380 with BA’s new seating a whirl.

I am willing to accept that it is just me, that I am alone in thinking a comfortable, private seat with a decent screen and wide selection of movies is important on long-haul, and I am willing to accept that perhaps I am missing something…….I just can’t figure out what it is!?

Rgds.
    AOTG.

travelworld
    Participant

AOTG- I don’t think BA ever flew 6 or 7 times a day to Sydney/Melbourne although they certainly had a greater presence in Aus/NZ than they do now. Before the advent of the 747-400 there used, I think to be more stops en route whcih have now been replaced by point to point services. But it’s the sheer length of route which has been the issue- it’s just not as profitable for BA to send aircraft and crew that far compared with (say) the US.
    Actually, I rather like the BA Club World seat and certainly don’t seek to avoid it. It sounds a bit petty but I really like the drawer to stick all your stuff in which I’ve not found on other carriers. I also think it’s pretty comfortable. The upper deck on a 744 fabulous, although its days are obviously numbered. My personal business class favourite is Air New Zealand’s 777-300, whcih has an improved Virgin Upper Class seat and, from my experience, fabulous inflight service.That would be my choice to LA.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Re: BA and the kangaroo route

ATOG is correct in that BA has lost a “ton” of business. But the traffic has been lost not just to EK but also to the other indirect carriers.

As I mentioned in the magazine in December 2012 (see “Kangaroo Moves”), way back in 1988, BA boasted in its timetable that it was “On top Down Under”.

In those days BA served more points in Australasia from Europe than any other airline. It operated to Adelaide, Brisbane, Melbourne, Sydney and Perth. It flew to Christchurch and Auckland in NZ.

Today all that’s left is a single daily flight to Sydney.

Bucksnet
    Participant

AllOverTheGaff – 14/06/2013 11:00 GMT – “not to mention their 7 A380 flights from LHR”

Sorry to pull you up on your facts, but EK do not have 7 flights a day to LHR, on the A380 or any plane.

AllOverTheGaff
    Participant

Bucksnet – 14/06/2013 14:50 GMT
    Sorry to pull you up on your facts, but EK do not have 7 flights a day to LHR, on the A380 or any plane.

How many do you count?

Rgds.
    AOTG.

dutchyankee
    Participant

@bucksnet, I think you will find with the code shares with QF there at least 7 EK marketed A380 flights to DXB (EK has their own flights 002, 004, 006, 008, and 030, plus at least two by QF). I have a feeling that is what AOTG meant, and when EK at LGW goes A380 then even more from London.

CXDiamond
    Participant

Oh yes, I too remember the days when BA offered a wide range of services to Australia and New Zealand alongside Qantas.

I think the first challenger in the 1970s was Singapore Airlines who saw the potential of the route and used the lure of Singapore Girl to draw away business. Others saw it worked and followed suit and with a lower cost base they were able to offer very favourable deals.

Of course things have changed now so much. The end of the joint service agreement with Qantas really has spelt the end for BA who will no doubt soldier on bravely for another year or so and of course Singapore Airlines and other South East Asian partners are feeling the chill of the success of the Gulf carriers.

I wonder where the challenges will come from next.

Bucksnet
    Participant

I count 5, but there are 2 QF with EK codeshares. And there’s you thinking I can’t count, again.

dutchyankee
    Participant

Confirms my post.

AllOverTheGaff
    Participant

Bucksnet – 14/06/2013 15:19 GMT
    I count 5, but there are 2 QF with EK codeshares. And there’s you thinking I can’t count, again.

I wasn’t thinking that at all.

Bucksnet
    Participant

I was under the impression that you thought I could not count.

For the record I am basing my count of 5 Emirates A380 return flights per day on data freely available on the internet, and I have not physically been to Heathrow in person and counted all their flights over a 24 hour period.

Back on topic, I think BA need to improve seating in all classes and roll it out quickly. However they could start with sending their first A380 to DXB every day to better compete with EK, not some odd schedule to LAX.

They could also send their second one there from the start of the winter season instead of 1 747 and 2 777s daily. If the competition is using A380s then BA should put an A380 on those routes to help it better compete. It would also save a daily slot pair.

AllOverTheGaff
    Participant

wrong
    adjective
    1.not in accordance with what is morally right or good: a wrong deed.
    2.deviating from truth or fact; erroneous: a wrong answer.
    3.not correct in action, judgment, opinion, method, etc., as a person; in error: You are wrong to blame him.
    4.not proper or usual; not in accordance with requirements or recommended practice: the wrong way to hold a golf club.
    5.out of order; awry; amiss: Something is wrong with the machine.
    6.not suitable or appropriate: He always says the wrong thing.
    7.(of clothing) that should be worn or kept inward or under: You’re wearing the sweater wrong side out.

noun
    8.that which is wrong, or not in accordance with morality, goodness, or truth; evil: I committed many wrongs.
    9.an injustice: The wrongs they suffered aged them.
    10.Law.
    a.an invasion of another’s right, to his damage.
    b.a tort.
    adverb
    11.in a wrong manner; not rightly; awry; amiss: You did it wrong again.
    verb (used with object)
    12.to do wrong to; treat unfairly or unjustly; harm.
    13.to impute evil to (someone) unjustly; malign.
    Idioms
    14.get in wrong, Slang. to cause to come into disfavor: We are forever getting in wrong with the people next door.
    15.go wrong,
    a.to go amiss; fail: Everything is going wrong today.
    b.to pursue an immoral course; become depraved: Bad friends caused him to go wrong.
    16.in the wrong, to blame; in error: He knew he was in the wrong but refused to concede the point.

GoonerLondon
    Participant

Actually if you have any old timetables you will be surprised how infrequent flights to long-haul cities really were. This extra capacity is there to serve the vast number of people who fly. 20 years ago only 20% of US citizens had ever flown – now its 85%.

The real thing is convenience to Australia: 2 stops with shorter transfers and better journey times are available from anywhere outside of London without going via LHR. Add the extra cost of sending UK based aircraft too Australia and I completely agree – the only thing keeping this going is cargo or enough people who want to fly BA specifically despite the extra inconvenience for many. A niche route at best

What this has to do with quality of seating im not sure though.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 183 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls