BA Seating

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 183 total)

• IanFromHKG
    Participant

I agree with everything you say, Simon, although I suspect that the staggered 1-2-1s must take up more space – after all, surely you have to have the space between the aisle seats for the window (or middle) seat passengers to get in and out?

Bullfrog
    Participant

SimonS1 .. not only does a good designer create direct access for each seat, the 1-2-1 effect does generate the feeling of more space because passengers are not packed in ‘like a sardine can’ & every seat is forward facing. WIN – WIN – WIN .. and may very well WIN my custom.

SimonS1
    Participant

Ian, I don’t think it needs a lot of space, just enough room for someone in the middle seats to get through the gap. Clever use of partitioning as well creates an environment of privacy rather than the dormitory effect you get otherwise.

JohnHarper
    Participant

This outdated business class product is doing BA no favours and I think it’s awful to see it installed on the 787. Seating on that aircraft is described as Club 2-3-2 and WT+ 2-3-2 and WT 3-3-3. To those who don’t know what is the difference between C and Y+?

Bucksnet
    Participant

I’ve no problem with the BA 787 (and A380 top deck) being 7 across in business, but it needs to be a better seat, all forward facing and direct aisle access, just like the new EADS seat. The current rear-facing middle seat does not look favourable, and I for one will avoid it.

Premium economy is in the correct configuration of 2-3-2 on both planes, but what annoys me is the 3-3-3 economy configuration on the 787. On the A380 top deck, which is roughly the same width, BA have gone for a standard economy layout of 2-4-2.

For the record I’ve not flown on either plane, but I can clearly see the different layouts from the seat plans.

esselle
    Participant

I suggest we create a separate thread here called “Virtual Business Traveller”.

It will allow those who seem not to fly on aeroplanes to present their hypotheses as to what they are like, whilst not allowing their arguments to be coloured by those who do.

Bucksnet
    Participant

When have you flown on BA’s new planes then esselle?

We can certainly comment on the look of things, but of course it would be better to try them, when we get the chance to. Maybe you would like to take one of the short haul training flights to sample things, before you commit to buying a long haul flight?

As well as forming your own opinions on various aspects of your experience, you call tell the rest of us if the photos and seat plans are a true reflection of reality. I cannot believe that BA would make stuff up, but I await your conformation.

IanFromHKG
    Participant

JohnHarper – 27/06/2013 17:57 GMT : This outdated business class product is doing BA no favours and I think it’s awful to see it installed on the 787. Seating on that aircraft is described as Club 2-3-2 and WT+ 2-3-2 and WT 3-3-3. To those who don’t know what is the difference between C and Y+?

C is fully-flat, and WT+ isn’t. CW also “feels” wider because of the yin-yang configuration where the seats are shaped so they are wider at the shoulder (next to your neighbour’s feet) and narrower at the foot end (next to your neighbour’s shoulders)

Bullfrog
    Participant

Ian_from_HKG .. ‘CW also “feels” wider ..’

My personal experience on a recent Montreal to Heathrow flight is that the ‘yin yang’ creates the illusion of being wider, but in reality it is like being in a sardine can. If travelling with one’s other half, perhaps it is acceptable, but as a solo passenger, I believe it represents dreadful value for money.

Coupled with a rearward facing window seat & difficult aisle access, I vowed never to fly Club ‘squash’ World again.

esselle
    Participant

Bucksnet

I think I have flown every aircraft type in the BA fleet which they have operated since the mid 80’s. I’ve lost count of the number of trips in pre-cradle club, cradle, CW, NCW, pre-flat F, old F, NF, Concorde, etc etc.

That is the context which allows me to judge that, by carrying over existing designs, which are already pretty dated in themselves, and also by comparison to their competitors, BA have missed a huge opportunity to innovate on the soon to join members of their fleet.

Stepping onto a BA A380 will hold no novelty. The 787 J class seat on QR gives enough of a signal that the BA CW equivalent on their 787 will be a huge disappointment.

Bullfrog
    Participant

esselle

+1

CW is already a huge disappointment for me.

I’ve got significant experience to know that I can make a decision on the hard product nearly 95 % of the time, (if not 100%) based on photos, seat plans & dimensions.

Bucksnet
    Participant

I meant the layout. Most of us know what Club World is like.

esselle
    Participant

Then, Bucksnet, presumably you accept that the not very good J and F seats will not get any better than they currently are, despite being fitted into new airframes?

Presumably, you would also accept that new airframes will not mean better service/food/drink either?

Bucksnet
    Participant

Yes, the airframe has no bearing on old seating and service/food/drink. It might be cleaner though.

peterhouse
    Participant

I’ve really enjoyed my recent Premium Economy meals on BA; they started using business class main dishes and it has improved things a lot.

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 183 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls