BA seat allocation charge

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 73 total)

• SimonS1
    Participant

@Alex_Fly – I find it totally unacceptable to be charged, but you would be in the minority nonetheless.

The following in business class all get free seat allocation:

Anyone travelling business in J or C fare classes
    Golds and silvers
    Bronzes from 7 days out
    Anyone with infants (bassinet seats)
    Anyone with special seating needs

So really it’s only people travelling on discounted business class fares that are affected.

I understand the point about trying to attract people from other alliances, equally I understand why BA would want to look after existing premium clients.

mkcol74
    Participant

@SimsonS1 I’m wondering how BA would view someone booking an infant fare to secure a bassinet position (at lower cost than paying a seat selection fee) but then the infant is a no-show for the flight.

SimonS1
    Participant

I suppose that is technically possible. However the infant fare is 10% of adult, so if in the example used by Alex_Fly you were paying £2k plus I’m not sure the 10% would really be a saving.

Just depends on the cost I guess, if it was a cheap business of +/- £1k then you might save a few pounds.

mkcol74
    Participant

Ah – I was thinking infant fares were the flat rate of ~£39! I must have had package holiday/charter flight price stuck in my head.

ChrisJR
    Participant

I agree with SimonS1 I think it you are paying full fare ticket prices then free seat allocation should be given. In WT if you can pay and get an exit row I think that is a big benefit. I rarely fly BA CW unless I am flying on air-miles or upgrades from WT+ but to me there can be a huge amount of variability depending on where you sit in the CW cabins. Being in a middle two seat with a stranger next to you is a bit too “close”. I don’t like the window seats downstairs (Main desk) as it is very difficult to get out when your tray table is out (so if you are working, or eating) which, given I tend to be working or eating, is not great. Also the closer to the front you are the further away from WT+, kids, babies etc you are (which for me is better – sorry if that sounds like snobbery). Upstairs on a 747 is great, especially 64k as you get loads of room to the side of you, and no one to climb over or be climbed over. If I am on the main deck, the first row of business on the aisle, is best for me as, again, no one climbing and you can get up and down easily.

Manyatta
    Participant

Well, I tweeted BA and stated that I wasn’t complaining about the charge – just would like to know how they had arrived at the sum. They said that they did not know how it was worked out. A shame as someone has to, of course. I can understand the view re fancy card holders as you all know why these cards exist and how they work. Perhaps I’ll work my way up and then appreciate being able to choose seats etc ahead of business class Joe Public. I think it is the same principle as any club. I remember jealously peering in to the Pavilion at Lord’s and now I can go in when I want, perhaps I’m glad the masses cannot come in. Ridiculous snobbery, of course, but I waited 15 years! Perhaps I’m off at a tangent – I still think it is an unfair sum to pay however!!

BigDog.
    Participant

Travelling with a family group this policy could result in eaach being randomly spread across a cabin unless they were prepared to stump up hundreds more.

Ah,Mr.Bond
    Participant

Cancel and fly KQ.
    That amount from pre seat assignment in a premium cabin is dusgusting. It will be a far better aircraft and product to boot.

mrgeeee
    Participant

I recently flew long haul in J and stumped up the cash to choose the seats I wanted. Whilst I think it is wrong to charge premium passengers to choose a seat I was glad I paid as by the time it came to on-line check in the seat choice was very limited. If you pay it takes away the rush to check in the minute on-line check in opens.

On another flight I took in J last summer I decided not to pre pay for a seat only to find on check in that I had been bumped into economy as the people who had paid for seats in advance got priority even though the staff at the airport told me that some of the J passengers hadn’t checked in yet so that is another unfair reason so pay.

I think people who are connecting via London can check in 24 hours before their first flight (rather than the LHR flight) so they will get to choose seats before you will.

In terms of the breakfast in the lounge in T3, they were just clearing it up when we arrived and it looked like a bit of a mess. It was a limited but adequate selection…toast, cereals, porridge. It will be fine if you are there and are hungry but not worth getting out of bed early for.

usflyer
    Participant

Couldn’t agree with you more. It’s outrageous to be charged up to £70 just to reserve a seat – on top of the premium fare. In addition, it seems the price keeps changing – when I tried to reserve a seat in economy recently – the price started at £16 before I completed the booking, immediately afterwards I paid for the ticket without seat reservation, it had gone up to £18 and then I was told it could go up to £40 the nearer to check-in… so potentially £80 return seat charges on a £50 fare….! I complained, told them it was a ripoff and got my money back on a non-refundable booking – and went to easyjet for £4 seat reservation each way… more people should complain about these ripoff charges… especially in the premium cabin

JohnHarper
    Participant

AhMrBond – 29/01/2016 09:33 GMT +1

I would never pay for a seat in a premium cabin, I’m quite happy to on Easyjet but them my expectations there are very different. If you’re asked to pay, complain long and loud, it’s the only way things will change and who knows Wee Willie’s bonus may be cut by a few pounds if you do.

blacksheep
    Participant

I flew BA (City Flyer) from LCY to DUB yesterday on a HBO fare.

As I’m Blue Exec Club, my seat was allocated automatically and surprised that it cost £18 (travelling in Y) to change my seat, even after check-in had opened.

The most infuriating part is I was allocated a window seat on both outbound and return even though my Exec Club preference is for an aisle. Plenty of aisle seats free on both flights.

Blatant attempt to extract the most money possible from passengers.

Is this acceptable?

usflyer
    Participant

NO! it’s unacceptable…..

canucklad
    Participant

One day in the future, we’ll wake up and realise that BA has finally re-branded to Vuelling. And at this point there will be no need for us to moan as BA will have finished its transformation to a LCC.

My mate chose to fly BA because he wanted to make his holiday special. For him and his girlfriend His perception was that his expensive “Y” seats on BA would ensure a better experience than his charter options to Florida…….

When he bemoaned that BA were basically black mailing him to ensure the two of them were guaranteed seats next to each other , I burst out laughing and said… “ I told you so”

My advice to you Manyatta, is the same as AhMrBond, fly an airline that has a reputation for treating its passengers like customers and not cash cows. Next time try KQ and see if they really are “The pride of Africa”….

Manyatta
    Participant

Thanks for all the views. The only dissenters to the view that it is wrong are presumably high up in the BA loyalty system? If my only travel involved LHR – NBO then I would probably go KQ although they are prone to cancelling out of the blue. Tempted by TK but IST – NBO is a 737. Anyone know if TK in J on a 737 is any good? Sounds horrendous!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 73 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls