British Airways short haul return to London Gatwick…..

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

• openfly
    Participant

Looks like the short-haul operation at LGW restarts on Nov 9th. BA.com selling several routes from this date JER, AGP, ALC …..but, who knows!

FrequentTraveller
    Participant

I wouldn’t read too much into that. Jersey had closed borders April to July. When BA restart flights from London to Jersey they restart from Heathrow instead of Gatwick. Some of the Gatwick flight numbers were updated in their computer system to depart from Heathrow up to 8th November. This appears in BA.com flight status as “re-routed”. The 9th November onwards Gatwick to Jersey schedules are just the original programme of flight frequency which went on sale last November. Although, the fares are now much reduced in the current sale.

Indeed will be interesting to see if they actually to start flying short haul from Gatwick in November, or continue to consolidate operations at Heathrow. As has been mentioned on other threads, to help protect their more valuable Heathrow slots or just to help reduce costs.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Montysaurus
    Participant

It would appear that BA is not yet returning to LGW as my 4 flights LGW-GLA in Jan, Feb and Mar 2021 have all been cancelled and I have been offered LHR departures instead. The accompanying web pages say there will be no charges for any change (the change of airport makes my connections tight) but I wonder if this includes a change of departure time to a later flight which might be dearer.

scotscrew
    Participant

Yes I was just notified that my flight from Gran Canaria to Gatwick in business late December is now going to Heathrow. I’m going to opt to go via Madrid and catch the 777 to LHR instead as although it’s a longer journey the timings suit me much better.

SenatorGold
    Participant

Similarly my flight in December from Gatwick to Dubrovnik and return has been moved to Heathrow. Timings are exactly the same.

FrequentTraveller
    Participant

Looks like BA have done a mass update to their booking system.

Yesterday (as of 16th September 2020) the latest LHR to JERsey flight available was 8th November. The earliest LGW to JERsey flight was 9th November.

Today (as of 17th September 2020) there has been an update. All 9th November to 27th March flights from London to JERsey are listed as operating out of Heathrow. The earliest LGW to JERsey flight is now listed as Sunday 28th March. Which is the start of the summer 2021 slot season.

I haven’t checked the other Gatwick short haul routes which were listed earlier in this thread.

FrequentTraveller
    Participant

[postquote quote=1011213][/postquote]

As BA has cancelled your Gatwick departure, you should be able to move the an alternative Heathrow departure without paying the fare difference.

1 user thanked author for this post.

transtraxman
    Participant

It appears that BA has decided to re-establish itself at Gatwick.
    Here it indicates its Intercontinental schedule from November. The majority of flights seem to be leisure ones. Mauritius is the only non-Caribbean destination (Bermuda also but I include that in the Caribbean destinations). Of note is the duplication of flights from both Heathrow and Gatwick to Bridgetown. (2 flights daily seems a little excessive under the present circumstances – maybe a mistake.)
    “British Airways Nov 2020 Intercontinental network as of 16OCT20” (Routes Online 17 October 2020)

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/airlineroute/294424/british-airways-nov-2020-intercontinental-network-as-of-16oct20/

SimonS1
    Participant

What gets filed in GDS and what gets operated are two different things.

All the long haul flights will be ex Heathrow until capacity fills.

tomwjsimpson
    Participant

FaroFlyer
    Participant

[postquote quote=1013627][/postquote]

Not neccessarily. BA have also switched flights from LHR to LGW.

NEWS: British Airways long haul schedule for November 2020

SimonS1
    Participant

We will see. As the very first sentence of the article says….“Below is BA’s current schedule for November… or is it?”

According to Routes Online EK was restarting Gatwick in August, then September, the October…..yet I am headed to Heathrow on Saturday.

FaroFlyer
    Participant

[postquote quote=1013664][/postquote]

True, but the opening line of yesterday’s TLFL newsletter read:

“As you are reading this today I will be hopefully on my way to Barbados (after BA has cancelled the flight and moved me from a Club Suite at Heathrow to a B777 at Gatwick”

The author was looking forward to the delights of Aspire lounge Gatwick North, rather than T5 First lounge.

fatbear
    Participant

I am due to fly to Antigua this week from Gatwick North………

anyonebutba
    Participant

[postquote quote=1013622][/postquote]

incorrect only long haul gatwick flights will be operating and most of them are now cancelled no short haul until at least 29th march 2021 as per the new flight schedules, i doubt they will return many flights to gatwick as the crew there were mostly made redundant as were the ground staff

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls