BA Rolls Out First of New LCY Embraer 170s for London City Fleet RenewalCreate Topic

Home Forums Airlines All airlines BA Rolls Out First of New LCY Embraer 170s for London City Fleet Renewal

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  VintageKrug 7 years, 12 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

VintageKrug
    Participant

British Airways continues to invest in a cutting edge fleet renewal programme.

New 777s and A319s have already come on stream this summer at LHR, with several more to follow.

The first of eleven confirmed Embraer Regional Jets has now been painted in BA livery. This aircraft will start service from London City (LCY) during September, initially on the Amsterdam service.

The deal comprises six 76 seat E170s and five larger 98 seat E190SRs, plus options for three more.

They will be operated by BA’s Cityflyer subsidiary, and those on European services will also feature a Club Europe cabin.

http://www.aeroworldnews.com.br/ftgaleria/galeria_2_1248829018.jpg

The new aircraft will replace what may be the last ever of the British produced airliners used by BA, the RJ85 and RJ100.

The Brazilian E-jets resemble a small 737 with winglets and should provide a more comfortable, quieter travel experience, as well as increased reliability.

BA will also be receiving delivery in September of two longhaul configured A318s for London City http://www.britishairways.com/travel/club-world-london-city/

These two aircraft will provide innovative direct all flat bed Club World services to New York’s JFK airport.

Travellator
    Participant

Lovely aircraft to fly in, I use regularly on Flybe services from Belfast. 2×2 seating – very bright and airy – quiet too !

VintageKrug
    Participant

Cabin (from promo material) looks airy indeed, with a pleasingly wide aisle and extra large windows:

http://www.startupairlines.com/images/Embraer_E170_Cabin_Interior_Blue.jpg

continentalclub
    Participant

I was very impressed by Air Canada’s Embraer 190 on a Calgary to Vegas 2.5hr flight last year. The service was a bit grim, but the cabin environment was extremely pleasant.

Air Canada’s fit includes (unreliable on my flight, sadly) AVOD at every seat and a wonderful 1-2 J cabin at the front of the aircraft. Despite being 2-2 throughout, I’m hoping that BA’s aircraft will otherwise be just as good.

In any event, they have to be better than the RJs they’re replacing….

VintageKrug
    Participant

Alas, a birdstrike has curtailed the delivery of the first aircraft.

So a few more days to wait before it is delivered.

HappytobeSilver
    Participant

Looks as though the Club Europe seat on the Embraer is going to be the same size as that in Euro Traveller. Can anyone update me?

VintageKrug
    Participant

The seat will be the same in EuroTraveller as in Club Europe, which is a shame in my view.

Some airlines install a 2-1 configuration for Business Class, with dedicated seats, but this would remove the ability to vary the size of the Club Europe cabin, a key requirement to make this shorthaul service pay.

However, the layout is far preferable to the 3-3 offered by the RJ100 fleet, especially when you consider the curved sidewall which can impinge on personal space.

The 2-2 seating in these new aircraft makes flying from London City Airport LCY much more attractive, and my understanding is that a generous standard seat pitch of 33″ will be offered on the E190, which will feel more due to the use of space saving seat.

I am pretty certain this promo vid has already been posted somewhere, but it does give a good overview of the new aircraft and its advantages over the old CitiFlyer fleet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6bwM9D_xpI

The increased range of this new fleet should open up some new destinations not previously possible from LCY.

VintageKrug
    Participant
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.