BA return to Birmingham and Bristol!

Back to Forum
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

• TheLion
    Participant

As covered in the Business Traveller article, BA are finally back in the nation’s second city, 10 years after acrimoniously departing.

British Airways to launch new summer routes from Birmingham and Bristol

Flights will be…you guessed it…operated by BA CityFlyer. The routes are summer only and include Malaga, Ibiza, Palma and Florence.

Look forward to hearing your thoughts/views/opinions/sentiments/rants/jokes 🙂

FDOS_UK
    Participant

EC261.

canucklad
    Participant

Mmmm, “ the next day” seems to be the norm on the BHX services !!
    Do BA’s marketing team know something about Brummie behaviour that the rest of us don’t..
    I doubt very much that I’d like landing in the middle of the night and then checking into my hotel in the wee hours.

EruditeSheep
    Participant

Having been a user of BHX for the past 30 years or so, it is indeed a welcome return, although the flight schedules appear to be more akin to those of charter airlines. Is this a Vueling effect? Not much good for the business traveller. The demise of BAConnect was not welcomed by many. Strange that FlyBE can make a reasonable business out of operating a useful network from the “Eurohub” at BHX, whereas BA couldn’t. Maybe it’s time that BA considered a broader offering, or perhaps a more aggressive strategy…….

Poshgirl58
    Participant

Last year Monarch had a Malaga flight departing BHX 2300, not sure if it was Sunday. Given the competition at BHX (Monarch, Thomson, Thomas Cook, Jet2, Ryanair) probably only slot times available. From past experience, Ibiza and Majorca always seemed geared up for a 24 hour operation.

I bet that the bags will be on the belts in Malaga, Ibiza and Palma far quicker than they would at BHX whatever the time of day or night……

Perhaps BA’s marketing team went out on the streets of Birmingham to convince future customers that the timings would enhance their travel experience!

SimonS1
    Participant

Another handy way of using the LCY fleet at weekends I guess.

TominScotland
    Participant

SimonS1 – you got in ahead of me. These holiday flights are purely a means to make use of idle aircraft, no business traveller intent at all

ViajeroUK
    Participant

BHX is my local airport, I travel to Malaga 3 -4 times each year to my second home. Of the options available I normally choose Norwegian, it has the ‘feel’ of a legacy airline, always found good cabin crew, and normally punctual. Other options are Ryanair and Monarch, and maybe charter flights, the three scheduled operators fly several days a week throughout the year, all with flights that start and finish on the same day.

Now BA come along with four Saturday night only flights, all arriving next day. OK, BA product is now very similar to the LoCos, but from what I hear BoB not nearly as organised as the others, but if they were seriously planning to compete with existing operators why such unsocial flight times?

I used to use BA from BHX when they had the Eurohub, until I got stranded in Athens, I arrived at the airport for my flight back to BHX, to be told that BA had stopped all services to/from BHX, no notice at all!

openfly
    Participant

@ViajeroUK
    Please don’t compare BA as an aspiring “loco” airline. I prefer to use the word “lowlife” to describe BA now! Sad, but true.

ViajeroUK
    Participant

@openfly

Agreed, any aspirations BA might have unfortunately only seem to be downward.

Panda01
    Participant

Maybe CityFlyer is the future for BA in terms of being able to compete with other airlines, by providing flights from airports the main airline wouldn’t do and without any connecting flights.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls