BA refuses to honour "mistake fares"

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 45 total)

• canucklad
    Participant

This subject was brought up on the radio last night….. The interviewee wasn’t impressed at all with BA, for the following reasons ………

He booked his BA flight to Tel Aviv through a 3rd party for himself and his family ( 4 people)

The flights appeared in his BA app and he then reserved his seats, meals etc.
    A few days later whilst browsing the app he noticed that the flight had vanished from his booking
    Next day he contacted the 3rd party booker who informed him that if he wanted to be on that same flight BA now required an extra £1500

As of last night, 4 days after the original booking , BA hasn’t been in touch to apologise, although the 3rd party was authorised to compensate him with a BA £100 voucher.

He mentioned that the T&C’s attached to the compensation voucher made it almost impossible to redeem.

All in all, pretty shoddy practice !!

Suzi
    Participant

What happened to ticket issue guarantees the fare

SwissExPat
    Participant

I would proceed with a Claim in the Small Claims court as this is exactly why such a Court exists.

Let the Judge decide. That is what they are there for.

Marc_ACB
    Participant

Did anyone else see this Virgin advert?

rferguson
    Participant

It’s a shame Virgin Atlantic doesn’t encourage it’s sister airline Virgin Australia to do the same:

Virgin Australia Cancelling $174 Mistake Fare Tickets to Australia

And it took them nine days to cancel the tickets.

What is interesting though is the DOT has specific protections against consumers in the case of ‘mistake fare’ purchases. Although airlines have the right to cancel them, if the customer has purchased anything in relation to the flights – non refundable accommodation, car hire, tours etc – the airline is obligated to reimburse these expenses. I guess sometimes this can go to the consumers advantage as paying out for these incidentals may cost the airline more than just honouring their mistake fare.

1 user thanked author for this post.

AJDC
    Participant

So a customer is supposed to know whether a ticket is reasonably priced or not? Are you kidding me with this nonsense? Someone should sue the hell out of BA.

Marc_ACB
    Participant

[quote quote=871417]It’s a shame Virgin Atlantic doesn’t encourage it’s sister airline Virgin Australia to do the same:

Pity there is no “like button” I would have used it here to agree with you @rferguson

Ah,Mr.Bond
    Participant

I feel there is more to this story than meets the eye… The gentleman in question was from an agent called travel up. An agent notoriously known for undercutting everyone online, a no no practice when it comes to undercutting ba.com! Anyhow, that aside, fares to dxb are routinely on offer for 300 quid so it would not be unreasonable whatsoever. I my self have just booked a genuine fare to new York for the same quid plus tax on ba.com, and the flight time is longer. It is still live!!!!

RatherwalkthanBA
    Participant

Love it!, I’ve been a Business Travel Agent for nearly 30 years and the underhand things BA do never surprise me, wherever possible I try to steer my clients to an Airline that appreciates they’re money, for the people who had they’re tickets cancelled, sue sue sue!!!!!, Bloody Awful Airline! there will come a time when BA will go that step too far and traveller will have had enough… its very easy to switch sell in Europe, Easyjet does a better job of everything BA does, and even long haul when comparing the carriers to a client, the experience can easily be sold by pointing out what a client can expect, which is BA’s case isn’t much…….tbh you would think with things so BAd at BA these days they would have jumped on the opportunity to gain some positive PR…erm wrong sadly 🙁

capetonianm
    Participant

This is because Alex Cruz is a ‘pesetero’ and thinks of nothing except the bottom line.

A myopic, stupid, and unsustainable attitude.

FaroFlyer
    Participant

[quote quote=871522]This is because Alex Cruz is a ‘pesetero’ and thinks of nothing except the bottom line.

A myopic, stupid, and unsustainable attitude.[/quote]

Another rational, well thought out and helpful comment about business travel

capetonianm
    Participant

FF : Feel free to make all the sarcastic remarks (= thinly disguised personal attack) you want.

This is a business travel forum and many of the comments on it relate to the poor service delivery and low and still declining standards of one of the UK’s main carriers used by business travellers. Much of this can be attributed to Cruz’s poor management and penny-pinching. That you disagree and choose to defend BA is your right, but you would seem to be in a minority.

openfly
    Participant

Inquisitive
    Participant

I was BA gold once but do not travel with BA anymore.
    Agree that hard product in business class is poor compared to competition and food is so so, but that is similar to many second grade airlines.
    BA is not a top class airline, so this type of things will happen time to time. What is the big deal.
    Need to remember that millions are travelling with BA – although most of them are due to corporate discounts in business class – but I believe BA will neither change nor will go down as a company.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 45 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls