BA redundnacies

Back to Forum
Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)

• FaroFlyer
    Participant

[postquote quote=1006269][/postquote]

Yes, the taxpayer was paying, but that is ending. If the taxpayer had not been paying then the redundancies would have taken place several months ago.

nevereconomy
    Participant

I wonder where this would have gone if we had simply bailed out the aviation sector as so many countries have done, albeit in different ways ?

AJDC
    Participant

Scotscrew,

In the USA, if you are not union and I suspect C-Suite, all other employees are hired at will (you can be let go for reason or no reason; when times are good, you receive a salary increase and a bonus. When times are bad, you receive neither unlike union staff whose contracts deliver an annual increase in spite of how badly the company performs.) The modelling that my company performed to cut costs, resulted in a tiered approach to salary reductions plus cuts in benefits. The higher up the corporate ladder you are, the greater your cut. So C-Suite staff’s cut is 40%, the next level down from C-Suite is 30% and so on. The least was 5%. The thing about these cuts – union employees’ salaries were not touched because of their contracts and I know for a fact that some make six figures. If things do not turn around will this continue? I suspect not. I suspect it is very likely that union employees will be asked to take a cut and or be furloughed.

BA, I assume has done some modelling based on travel demand. Would it have proposed what is now on the table if COVID had not turned travel patterns on their heads? I pretty much doubt. The world has changed and I do not see how any employee in an affected vertical can expect full salaries and benefits when there is no revenue being generated to cover such costs. It is reasonable to assume that something must give.

2 users thanked author for this post.

Sicily96
    Participant

Yes the government has furloughed most businesses but what you need to understand is the passenger numbers are just not there,you need to have a viable business to operate for future growth.Once furlough is over then what and if business does not pick up,planes are half empty and there is a second Corona wave.It is imperative to build that solid foundation now especially if this pandemic is here to stay.How can you pay staff if there is no work to go round once furlough is over?It’s a no brainer and BA has to do what other businesses have done.
    Take stock,take measures and save for that uncertainty ahead.

6 users thanked author for this post.

SimonS1
    Participant

[postquote quote=1006285][/postquote]

Indeed, but if the argument is that the passenger numbers aren’t there, there is uncertainty ahead and the staff are not needed then surely BA wouldn’t expect to retain all their unused slots in anticipation of a recovery?

SimonS1
    Participant

Times at BA must be getting desperate. They are cutting a £1 a week first aider allowance….

https://www.onlinenewseurope.eu/ba-cuts-1-a-week-allowance-for-first-aiders-telegraph-co-uk/amp/

Fair2380
    Participant

[postquote quote=1006287][/postquote]

I doubt they will…..but I doubt you’ll find another airline willing to buy them atm!

SimonS1
    Participant

[postquote quote=1006388][/postquote]

Well if the price was £1, there would be takers. And slot prices are driven by supply and demand. And there are international airlines who we be delighted to get access to LHR.

ComeFlyWithMe
    Participant

BA pilots are taking temporary cuts to their pay; but BA ground staff and cabin crew must accept permanent cuts to their t&c’s plus a hefty pay cut? Why’s that?
    The industry will take years to recover, so surely temporary cuts are sensible? Share the pain? And before this crisis in the industry, BA was making record profits with the very staff they are now trying to screw over?
    When Ryanair are offering temporary pay cuts for staff and showing BA how to treat your staff, you know something is seriously wrong!

SimonS1
    Participant

[postquote quote=1006583][/postquote]

And you know what happened to the last pay cuts BA pilots took in 2009 when BA had financial problems. To be compensated later on (by shares I believe) subject to targets being met. And……

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls