BA Reduced First Cabin

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

• Gold-2K
    Participant

Just back from a trip to US and was in First on a 777. The aircraft had Club Suite and first was reduced to 8 seats. However first had not been refitted with the refreshed first so got a much smaller screen than club world, and of course no gate to gate entertainment as screen needs to be stowed, no privacy doors etc etc.

Reminds me when they did they did the last full First refit when you didn’t know if you were getting the new “blue” cabin or the old “coffin class” with the 6 inch video screen when you held your breath turning left to see what version you were going to get …… first world problem I know 😂🤣.

Another reason why it’s not worth paying extra for. The champagne is better, but need to drink a load of it to get value for money 🤷🏻‍♂️

3 users thanked author for this post.

nevereconomy
    Participant

I must the exception here – I always felt it was worth paying for, just to avoid the weird club dormitory layout and of course still mostly annoying people in F, just not as many of them as in J. Using RTW tickets meant I could fly F on some of the good carriers once I was out of here – some wonderful JAL and CX trips.

maxgeorge
    Participant

Asiana F also worth the money.

Service and attention superb, even by Asian standards, and a private screened-off cabin.

Flyboy18
    Participant

Gold-2k, Do you feel better for getting that off your chest? 🙄

1 user thanked author for this post.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Given the choice, Old First or new club suites ?

FrequentlyFlying
    Participant

The new CW Suite is good, still a bit cramped with the seat flat in the leg area but a vast improvement on the old, don’t get me started on the ridiculous shallow stowage bins or hiding the remote inside one. As for the choice between old First (not the old flying coffin old) and the new suite, old First all day.

Gold-2K
    Participant

Haha, very cathartic thank you!!

We have all experienced inconsistent products on airlines as they upgrade cabins, it’s just in the case of BA, certain elements of the new club suite, such as privacy door, but especially the large IFE screen and fixed position giving gate to gate access is far better than the current first offering, with its relatively small fold away screen that by comparison is very underwhelming! Having said that, 18 months of binge watching, meant that I’d seen almost everything on the IFE so it wasnt a great loss this time around 😂🤣

Just struggling to think of other airlines who have upgraded their business class cabin with elements better than their respective first class? Yes you get more space, better bed and food (marginally at least), but shouldn’t all elements of first be the best they offer? Prices for First have gone though the roof post Covid (Maybe as a result of the cabins going down from 14 to 8 seats). I was on a 25yr old 777 with new club, refreshed WT and WT+, but all they did with first was whip out rows 3 and 4 and everything else left unchanged and pretty tired looking in comparison. Hardly the “timeless elegance” experience they claim 🤷🏻‍♂️

9 users thanked author for this post.

Flyboy18
    Participant

I think we are all fully aware of what you get and don’t get with BA FIRST, you’ve no need to list them!

And yet, being I’m sure an intelligent person, you would have done your homework before parting with your hard earned cash and know roughly what you were going to get? Or in this case weren’t going to get. Yet you continue to fly BA and bash BA. Seems a tad hypocritical?

FrDougal
    Participant

Well there are 3 version of First at the moment. The “traditional” (slightly larger on the A380) one with the pull out screen seating between 8-14 depending on the aircraft type, the B787 First which comes with 8 seats and has a large fixed screen but lacks buddy seating and the newer version very similar to the B787 which is now appearing on the B777-300 new deliveries which as well as having everything the B787 has also has the door!!!!

Still think its nothing more than a fancy Club but there ya go!

5 users thanked author for this post.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

[quote quote=1210221]Still think its nothing more than a fancy Club but there ya go![/quote]

The above comment has been said on many many occasions.

There are many club offerings that could easily compete with BA F, “reduced first cabin” or full BA F…

JDTraveller
    Participant

Have recently flown in the reduced 8 seat cabin on the 777s and for me I found it better than the Club Suite on the return sector. I still think that the buddy dining is a nice touch, certainly enjoyed being able to have dinner with my husband, it’s something different. In terms of gate to gate entertainment – well I just don’t get this. Most passengers, me included switch to a tablet or phone for the last hour or so.

I know there is the what you get vs what we think you should get in F. I guess my thoughts are different as I have never paid for F with cash. However, have always found the service without question first class.

Club suite is nice, though I find it a little claustrophobic with the door shut, and my 6ft husband complained that he wasn’t as in old club world. But for me it’s the service that is the difference. With 56 pax in J on the A350 and without the crewing levels they should have I would say that F even on the reduced capacity and not upgraded seat on the 777 is my bet.

4 users thanked author for this post.

SimonS1
    Participant

[postquote quote=1210178]

Not sure really. The new CW looks good (certainly better than the dated coffin class) but people who have used it tell me its spoilt by cheap plasticky materials that don’t last.

To be honest if buying a premium ticket there are better products on many routes, especially going west.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

[quote quote=1210245]To be honest if buying a premium ticket there are better products on many routes, especially going west.[/quote]

…and east too…

2 users thanked author for this post.

esselle
    Participant

[postquote quote=1210247]

And south east………

SimonS1
    Participant

[postquote quote=1210247]

Yes you are right. I meant West. Going East is a good earner because US carriers have also been average but they seem to be awakening.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls