BA policy on EC status when taking work break to aid family w/ terminal illness

Back to Forum
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• sparkyflier
    Participant

Hi contributors.

I am seeking advice on the above, although as the topic title only allows 80 characters I could express my query clearly there.

I was wondering what the BA policy is for Exec Club members, who have needed to take a break from work to give support with family through major illness.

I am a BA gold member and was wondering if they showed leniency on status when members have had to have other priorities which prevented them from travelling as much. I have been gold for 4-5 years. My mother had a terminal illness and so I took time away from work to give support with her increasing disability (at the same time as my father on the other side of the country – they had been divorced many years – had had a major accident and for a while lost much use of his arm).

Last year she deteriorated substantially, before passing away, so it has been a traumatic period.

So in the past year I have been travelling much less, mainly to conferences to keep my market knowledge up to date, and often using the many Avios I had earned.

I am now looking forward again and expecting to increase my travelling.

I seem to recall reading something a while ago that BA were sometimes flexible with such and similar situations and showed empathy, perhaps by extending membership levels for a while but cannot recall exactly what it was and cannot find it. Gold status I find is very worthwhile and really helps make travelling much easier, and have been pleased with the treatment this membership level provides. For example their call centre staff have been superb in some situations.

My membership cycle is coming quite soon and so I was wondering if anyone knew if there was a policy on such matters, what that was, and any advice on moving forward with this.

Any thoughts or advice would be very much appreciated.

On a separate and very positive note, my father has been making a very good recovery and has had great care from the NHS – indeed has made a 85-90% recovery!

MartynSinclair
    Participant

sparkyflier – my sympathies to you for the loss of your mother. Pleased to read though, that your father is making progress from his accident. Never an easy time when parents move into senior years …. I sadly know from experience.

To your question. I have heard BA can be sympathetic on a case by case basis, but certainly from what I have read there is no hard and fast rule. Without trying to hijack your thread, I was though thinking about a ‘what if I don’t make my usual BAEC level’ due to circumstances beyond my control. Caring for an elderly parent (who sadly has a terminal illness) is one example as is the lack of travel due to situation like the current travel restrictions to Asia.

BAEC allow a travel break due to paternity leave? Clearly one example of allowing status to remain due to lack of travel at a time when business travel may not be active. Perhaps this does show a level of sympathy given by the airline.

Whilst I think there should always be an opportunity for flexibility in a ‘what if I don’t make it’ situation, especially where it can be shown the passenger has been loyal for a number of years, however, I can understand if the airlines feel unable create this as part of the formal ‘club benefits’.

PatJordan
    Participant

Sparkyflier,

My deepest sympathy on passing of your Mother.

Aer Lingus’ Aer Club offer a membership pause for this type of situation. It’s in their FAQs:

https://www.aerlingus.com/aerclub/about-aerclub/faqs/

Given that both EI & BA are IAG owned it may well be that BAEC now offer a similar facility.

Hope this is of some help to you sparkyflier

K1ngston
    Participant

I am trying the same thing with SQ as throughout 2019 it was me with serious health issues, I will update once I receive their response K

1 user thanked author for this post.

sparkyflier
    Participant

Thank you Martyn and Pat for your kind words and your thoughts on this issue. Thank you also to Pat for that link.

Martyn I remember when you announced here about your Mother’s passing many years ago, and the very kind messages you had back, and thinking how deserved you were of them when you have contributed to this forum with so much generosity, kindness and dignity.

K1ngston sorry to hear of your illness and I wish you a speedy and complete recovery.

Thank you again.

2 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls