BA plans for LGW (routes & other developments)?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)

• VintageKrug
    Participant

Actually, I really did meet Mollie Sugden! No less than three times (on a personal rather than a professional basis).

Though I wasn’t her bridesmaid.

I expect much more respect now everyone knows I have been in the proximity of greatness! 😉

SimonRowberry
    Participant

VK,

I think the respect we hold you in was demonstrated by the recent support you received. Even if you do get on our tits at times!

😉

S

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Language Simon please, “even if you do get on our breasts some times!!”

Standards……………

SimonRowberry
    Participant

Martyn

Slap on wrist unconditionally accepted.

I was just trying to point out that much as we appreciate him, he can be a prat sometimes 😉

Having said that, (s)he’s our VK and when (s)he’s criticised by anyone who’s not a regular, we circle the wagons….

Mollie Sugden, indeed! Where’s the class in that association? I had lunch Sunday last at The Stag in Offchurch. It used to be owned by Melvyn Hayes who played Gloria in “It Ain’t Half Hot Mum.” now THAT’s class!

Simon

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Simon, re-worded perfectly well…………………

the person in question may also on okay-shun bee in need of a spelcheque too!

I was more of an A L / J L M and C D man from Dads Army!! Thats was a good and honourable regiment………………

SimonRowberry
    Participant

Martyn

Yes, indeedy. My late Father was pres of the Leamington Home Guard Club and a big Dad’s Army fan. When the club celebrated its 50th anniversary, Princess Alice, Bill Pertwee (the ARP guy) and Ian Lavender (Pike) all turned up. Neeedless to say, HRH was third in the pecking order as far as Dad was concerned.

Regards, Simon

VintageKrug
    Participant

Yes, I did hear from others about some hoo-ha at the weekend, though didn’t see the thread in question myself.

Less said the better, but to those who did the right thing, many thanks.

pomerol
    Participant

Openfly

I past through LGW security at 05:15 yesterday and fast track was alive and well.

The only problem I tend to have, is they seem to move fast track from one end to the other end on a regular basis.

openfly
    Participant

@pomerol It would appear that Fast Track is only operational when security is quiet and they have enough staff for it. Rather defeats the object of assisting premium passengers get through quickly at busy times….. It is all beyond me!

SimonS1
    Participant

Gatwick seems to have been undergoing renovation since time began under it’s different owners. I suppose we live in hope that some improvements will eventually be evident.

Fast track seems to be closed more often than not, and with the unseemly scramble at security I feel I should be carrying a bucket and spade to fit in properly.

AlastairActually
    Participant

I do hope JimBannerman1 is wrong about the possibility of more domestic routes being dropped. Whenever I connect from EDI through LGW the flight always seems full of transit passengers.

Personnally I would much rather be able to continue to connect worldwide on BA through LGW or LHR than go through AMS, FRA, CDG etc.

VintageKrug
    Participant

Apart from Manchester, which is vulnerable to further cuts, I don’t see BA reducing its Domestic destinations further.

BA currently flies to Aberdeen, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Newcastle and Manchester.

Aberdeen has a strong oil economy for the forseeable future, bmi recently pulled out of Glasgow which has increased traffic and margins, Edinburgh is a vibrant route and important for lots of reasons.

Newcastle is perhaps more vulnerable, but is less well served by the train than Manchester, and taking just that bit longer to reach an air link just about stacks up….

My guess would be reduced frequencies, larger aircraft, possibly the transition of some more marginal servies to flybe (15% owned by BA) with Scottish services in a stronger position than the Manchester and Newcastle routes.

Existing 737s to be replaced with ex-bmi airbus fleet.

jet72uk
    Participant

Anyone think the JER operation could go to BE?

Hippocampus
    Participant

JER is unlikely go to BE. BA has quite a loyal passenger base in Jersey.

VintageKrug
    Participant

I would concur; plenty of business and premium leisure, the fact it’s an island means there are few comparable modes of transport, and being at Gatwick means there’s less slot pressure.

The APD status of the Channel Islands also plays its part.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls