BA Planned Crew Change at Shannon

Back to Forum
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• LaundryMan
    Participant

I would be interested to understand why a BA flight from SFO to Heathrow diverted via Shannon yesterday for a “planned crew change”

What is a planned crew change on an overnight flight from the States ?

LaundryMan
    Participant

I should have shown the source of the information which is now shown

BA-Source-BA286

rferguson
    Participant

Hi Laundryman,

It wasn’t a planned crew change as such.

The LHR-SFO route is a three pilot operation. One of the pilots became ill in SFO on the day of departure and was unable to operate. The flight was re-routed via SNN on the day to allow a tech-crew change there. The cabin crew operated the entire SFO-SNN-LHR flight with some caveats.

LaundryMan
    Participant

Thank you for your explanation

nevereconomy
    Participant

Comforting to see the 3 pilot situation – just would feel happier if we still had 4 engines on more flights..
    I am sure you will all bombard me with statistics, but nice to have backup.

mkcol74
    Participant

[postquote quote=984811][/postquote]

I don’t understand how 4 engines would have prevented the 3rd flight crew member falling ill.

1 user thanked author for this post.

capetonianm
    Participant

Apart from one or two recent blips (RR Trent and so on) it has been more or less proved scientifically that 4 engines are no safer than 2. Twice as many turbine blades to throw, twice as many things to go wrong.

Nevertheless I feel safer on a 4 engined aircraft than two. It is one of those illogical prejudices which are hard to lose.

capetonianm
    Participant

I was watching earlier one of the Air Crash Investigation programmes and it made me think of a couple of accidents where the pilot(s) have shut down the wrong engine on a twin, for example :
    British Midland 737 Kegworth 08JAN89
    TransAsia Airways ATR72 TPE 04FEB15
    Lauda Air 767 BKK 26MAY91 (reverse thrust deployed)

Those accidents might not have occurred on a 4 engined a/c.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls