BA Passengers Stuck Overnight At VCE Airport

Back to Forum
Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)

• SimonS1
    Participant

I must have missed the one about the BA passengers sleeping in the plane.

If the premium passengers had been bussed off I wonder if it was possible to buy a temporary upgrade to use the flat beds for the night before returning to economy for the journey?

BigDog.
    Participant

Not all of the premium passengers were bussed as some lacked the required documentation. Am sure the crew would have used a lay-flat bed as they stayed on before being relieved with a fresh crew the following morning.

SimonS1
    Participant

This is the letter sent to passengers. Quality. Locked overnight in the airport and you can have a voucher for £100!

Dear Mr *******

I am extremely sorry your flight from Venice was delayed overnight. It must have been very frustrating, and uncomfortable, to sleep in the airport. I recognise how it must have affected all your other travel arrangements, and been a long and tiring journey for you.

As you may know, our crew are legally only able to work a set number of hours. The delay and problems with the outbound flight meant by the time they arrived in Venice these had been exceeded. Normally in such situations we would transfer all passengers to hotels. Unfortunately there was no accommodation available.

We know how much delays can affect our customers and their plans, and we always try to minimise their inconvenience. However, I fully appreciate that you need to be able to rely on us to fly as scheduled.

I am aware you may have incurred additional expenses as a result of this delay, and if this is the case I would be grateful if you could forward any receipts to the following address:
    British Airways
    Customer Relations
    PO Box 5619
    Sudbury
    Suffolk
    CO10 2PG

Fax: +44 1787 883 195

By way of an apology, I would like to offer you an eVoucher for £100.00. Please accept this with my compliments.

Your eVoucher Details:

eVoucher number:125-8200474***
    Name: *******
    Value: £100.00
    Expiry: 07/06/2014

Please note you can give this eVoucher to someone else if you wish, although it can only be used once. The other person will need the eVoucher name and number to be able to use it. By forwarding the details to another person, you are allowing them to use the eVoucher.

If it would be helpful, we can provide a letter for your travel insurance to confirm the total delay to your journey. Please send us a written request to the address above.

Thank you for leaving your contact details with our staff and for giving me the opportunity to apologise for the problems experienced. We value your business and we want to do everything we can to make your journeys with us as pleasant and easy as possible. I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you on board again soon.

Best regards

[Name redacted]
    British Airways Customer Relations
    Your case reference is:[private information redacted]

pdtraveller
    Participant

Shocking, I am really surprised at BA I would have expected more particularly given the. Circumstances and the crew flying am empty aircraft back to London.

They will of course all be entitled to EU comp as this was entirely within BA control so perhaps the £100 is on top of that. Non the less poor show BA

Edski777
    Participant

If this story is true passengers are protected under the EU Rule 261/2004 on passenger rights. BA is responsible for the travel of these people according to the contract (ticket) and has to provide suitable refreshments, communication and accommodation. Furthermore these people are most likely entitled to monetary compensation on top of this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regulation_261/2004

I’m sure that if there is any ground to this claim a lawyer will be more than willing to assist any passenger on this flight.

The offer made by BA should, in my opinion, be rejected. Again, if this is a true story it’s a poor showing by BA.

BigDog.
    Participant

EasyJet has upped the Stranded Passenger stakes – 30 hours (including 5 hours on board) in 30c degree heat in Egypt Sharm El-Sheikh

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travelnews/10151253/EasyJet-apology-for-30-hour-delay.html

StandingThemUp
    Participant

That’s a bad delay; I think EU261 is being tightened up to include (amongst other things) providing A/C on the ground and water.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/transport/9926086/Brussels-boosts-rights-for-airline-passengers.html

SimonS1
    Participant

Shocking. The fact that airlines can treat people like that shows exactly why legislation was required.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls