BA – old 747s (hate to moan …but)

Back to Forum
Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)

• AMcWhirter
    Participant

[quote quote=934323]Whilst they are old and battered, I personally prefer them to a lot of the newer aircraft – chiefly down to space…or perception of.[/quote]

As you will have read on this Forum over the years … all airlines are squeezing more and more seating into their economy cabins.

Today’s 747s feel spacious but think back to the 1970s (a time when the 747s entered service) when economy class was disposed 9-across rather than today’s 10-across.

miningguy
    Participant

Yep, thats why I’m opting for old and battered rather then new and normally cramped!

canucklad
    Participant

[quote quote=934228]Enjoy the 58.58 minutes of D check Canucklad…[/quote]

Cheers Martyn
    Interesting watch and re-assuring to see the level of care and love the engineers put into their work
    And although its recycling on an extreme level, there is still a bit of me that feels sad when you see a once “proud beast” being ripped apart .
    But then again , I’m a sentimental fool : )

Henryp1
    Participant

I appreciate the opportunity being able to sit in the nose of the aircraft, as the footfall is reduced which gives an overall quieter flight. But it will be a shame when they are finally retired.

pdwtrip
    Participant

Great trip out to Miami on an A380 in First – impressed with all the recent changes; however return on the 747 First was very poor. Great crew but there was no IFE across the plane, there was no seat lighting for the entire trip – so no reading and eating in the dark for 8+ hours, the carpet held in place with 2″ black tape – oh and unlike the outward trip no flowers in the loos. I know first world problems – but the ticket price for both flights was the same – the ‘First’ experience was very different. I have no problem with an old 747 – but it needs to be properly maintained.

ellisd79
    Participant

Hi

I am looking to travel to Cape Town next year in Club and i see they are running the 747’s on this route now rather than the 777’s they used to run. The 777’s were very tired in Club and had the old seats and IFE (Rockwell Collins) so does anyone know what hard product and iFE BA are operating on the &47’s on this route.

Lookig at flight tracker it looks like the Reg # they fly on this route are G-CIVP and G-CIVO mainly if that helps in anyway

AMcWhirter
    Participant

“Normally” is apt as the A380 remains the exception.

A380 fans must be pleased that BA removed one from storage yesterday and returned it to LHR.

2 users thanked author for this post.

GBAIR72
    Participant

Give me an old rickety BA 747 anyway! Service in first is always exemplary.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls