BA not in the Top Twenty Best Airlines In The World

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)

• YellowBelly
    Participant

According to the recent CNTraveler Readers Choice Awards 2016 BA does not make the top twenty. See: http://www.cntraveler.com/galleries/2015-10-07/top-international-airlines-readers-choice-awards/1

A sad time when ‘The World’s Favorite Airline’ is beaten by the likes of Turkish, Virgin and EVA. Can’t see them getting back in the coming years with the latest service cuts either.

DerekVH
    Participant

Yet every BA flight I have been on recently has been jammed packed full so people are not voting with their feet!

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=770464]Yet every BA flight I have been on recently has been jammed packed full so people are not voting with their feet!

[/quote]

A full flight is not necessarily a success indicator – it depends on the yields.

If an airline loses high value customers to rivals and replaces them with low value customers, the aircraft can be full, but much less profitable.

I don’t claim to know whether this is the case, here, but full flights (in isolation) are not necessarily an indicator of a healthy airline.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

But besides BA I am surprised that Emirates, JAL and SIA don’t feature.

I see that Thai makes #18 even though, at the time of writing, the FAA places it as Cat 2

stevescoots
    Participant

most trains in UK are full and they are god awfull, captive market and all

esselle
    Participant

SIA are #1 and EK are #2, but I have never heard of Porter, who are #9.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

My sincere apologies, folks. I had problems trying to get the full list displayed on my laptop screen.

canucklad
    Participant

I’m not surprised at BA’s omission …..
    After all isn’t that magazine‘s target audience, people of discerning taste and independent thought.

Not sure, those same people would vote for an airline that lowers itself enough to associate with a such a lowly brand as M&S : )

JohnHarper
    Participant

[quote quote=770486]SIA are #1 and EK are #2, but I have never heard of Porter, who are #9.

[/quote]

They are an excellent niche carrier in Canada. Well worth flying with in preference to Air Canada if you have a choice. Then again most airlines (except of course BA) are worth flying with in preference to Air Canada.

JohnHarper
    Participant

Well while I wouldn’t necessarily agree with the ranking I think the top twenty are there.

FirstClassWannabe
    Participant

Yes I must say that Porter are the way to go in Canada. I am surprised that Virgin Atlantic are included and that Aegean are not.

cotswoldsw
    Participant

Interestingly, in the UK October edition of CN Traveller, in the 2016 Readers’ Travel Awards, BA were voted no 1 short-haul holiday airline; no 1 long-haul holiday airline; and no 3 business airline.

MrMichael
    Participant

Three things strike me about this list. The Koreans did well, no airline from the good ole USA and this will cause civil unrest in France.

Regarding the number one (SIA) my last couple of trips on them were no more than mediocre. I personally tend to see SIA as a great airline that has repositioned itself in the face of the ME3, not unlike BA.

openfly
    Participant

Surely these ratings in various travel magazines have absolutely no relationship to airline service etc. The ratings are based on how well each magazine editor has been entertained to lunch by each airline!!
    So obviously BA will never rate high these days if it shares out MnS sandwiches as its lunch offering to the editors!

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Interesting Virgin have two spots, Australia and VS UK. I’m glad to see LH and LX both made it and delighted Swiss came in 15th after Lufthansa at 20.

Looking at the cabins and the service offered, it’s not surprising BA don’t make it. I wonder where on the list they were – 25th perhaps?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls