BA – new USA route.

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 45 total)

• Jasonltd1
    Participant

Hmmmmm 2x weekly does lend itself to HNL…..

Bath_VIP
    Participant

If we are looking at 2 weekly leisure route then HNL does sound possible or even Alaska. I will throw in a couple of wild cards then, Key West and Pensacola. Both are in Florida so it builds on general tourism in the state.

OneA
    Participant

Kansas City

sparkyflier
    Participant

I agree that if this new route is just 2 flights a week this does lend itself to Honolulu..personally I do not yet “get” this route if it is that.

I do think the suggestion by Canacklad of Albuquerque has merit, either now or in the not distant future.

canucklad
    Participant

With that new info, my each way long shot bets would be West Palm Beach, Jacksonville or Tallahassee.
    Does BA fly to Atlanta ?

canucklad
    Participant

With that new info, my each way long shot bets would be West Palm Beach, Jacksonville or Tallahassee.
    Does BA fly to Atlanta ?

Back to the HNL option, I’d love to think that with clever marketing, it could be a great way to fly to OZ, a stop over option and a carry on flight similar to the BOAC days could work, especially if you think of all those pineapples and macadamia nuts in the belly (sorry about the pun) then it could be quid’s in route.

GivingupBA
    Participant

[quote quote=898402] Back to the HNL option, I’d love to think that with clever marketing, it could be a great way to fly to OZ, a stop over option and a carry on flight similar to the BOAC days could work, especially if you think of all those pineapples and macadamia nuts [/quote]

Ah, those were the days. AMcWhirter said earlier “Back in the days of the VC-10 BOAC used to operate from LHR to Australia via the Pacific with several en route stops which included HNL”: I loved the VC-10, one of my favourite aircraft/ nostalgia. I’d love to take it LHR-HNL now, despite everything.

rferguson
    Participant

[quote quote=898402]With that new info, my each way long shot bets would be West Palm Beach, Jacksonville or Tallahassee.

Does BA fly to Atlanta ?

Back to the HNL option, I’d love to think that with clever marketing, it could be a great way to fly to OZ, a stop over option and a carry on flight similar to the BOAC days could work, especially if you think of all those pineapples and macadamia nuts in the belly (sorry about the pun) then it could be quid’s in route.[/quote]

BA flies to ATL Canuck. It was ex LGW for years and years as it was one of the handful of routes forbidden to operate from LHR under Bermuda II which was in place until 2008. Along with I think Dallas and Houston. DL and CO were unable to operate from LHR with the two airline policy but secured the right of the LHR operating carriers not able to operate LHR to their hubs (ATL and IAH respectively).

AMcWhirter
    Participant

[quote quote=898411]BA flies to ATL Canuck. It was ex LGW for years and years as it was one of the handful of routes forbidden to operate from LHR under Bermuda II which was in place until 2008. Along with I think Dallas and Houston.[/quote]

Correct.

paulkaz
    Participant

BA flying to Hnl then on to Syd would be a great idea. The Syd Hnl route is usually sold out with QF HA and JQ. So extra traffic there alone. Not sure how well BA does Lhr to Syd. They manage an A380 to Sin return but only an old 777 on the other flight that extends to Syd. Lots of discount fares offered ex Syd too.Also Hnl would offer a more appealing stop over option than QF’s expensive 787 via Per. Bet HA will do it once their fleet is renewed.

rferguson
    Participant

[quote quote=898476]BA flying to Hnl then on to Syd would be a great idea. The Syd Hnl route is usually sold out with QF HA and JQ. So extra traffic there alone. Not sure how well BA does Lhr to Syd. They manage an A380 to Sin return but only an old 777 on the other flight that extends to Syd. Lots of discount fares offered ex Syd too.Also Hnl would offer a more appealing stop over option than QF’s expensive 787 via Per. Bet HA will do it once their fleet is renewed.[/quote]

The problem with the LHR-HNL-SYD idea is that it’s highly unlikely the US or Australian governments would give BA traffic rights between HNL and SYD. Although SIN SYD is a profitable route for BA it is far from one of the top performers. Mainly down to the aircraft required and high costs. It requires I think three aircraft just to maintain a daily frequency and takes many crew resources also.

1 user thanked author for this post.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

[quote quote=898476]Not sure how well BA does Lhr to Syd. They manage an A380 to Sin return but only an old 777 on the other flight that extends to Syd.[/quote]

As you say Oz is a tough route for any European carriers. Now that VS pulled out of the market it’s left to BA to wave the flag for Europe.

Am sure rferguson will confirm that LHR-SYD is now doing better for BA and might even be turning a pofit.

It would be great were BA to take its A380 to SYD. But, as discussed here before, it’s all to do with utilisation.

That A380 leaving LHR on a Monday night wouldn’t return to LHR until Thursday morning. Can BA afford to have one of its flagships away for so long given that the yield on the SYD run isn’t that high (by comparison to transatlantic routes where planes can be turned around much more quickly) ?

And BA, I believe, uses one of its newer B777-300ERs on the LHR-SYD route.

2 users thanked author for this post.

transtraxman
    Participant

898514 rferguson writes that BA would have difficulty obtaining traffic rights to fly from Honolulu to Australia. I wonder if this would be the case.

I always believed that once gained traffic rights were never lost such as those BOAC had on its round the world routes.

Do not Air India and Kuwait Airlines maintain traffic rights from London to New York whether they fly the route or not?

Does Air New Zealand have special rights or historical ones on its flight London to Los Angeles (and on to Auckland)?

That begs the question whether BA would fly to Australia or New Zealand or both via Honolulu.

Might not flying around the world be a beneficial marketing ploy for BA?

Anyway it is still all speculation.

Olneyflyer
    Participant

My money is on Charlotte (The only AA hub not served by BA), MSP or indeed Portland.

Olneyflyer
    Participant

I also heard that BA are pulling off the Murcia route and it will not feature in their summer only line up and that they are cutting back on their Helsinki rotations. Only rumour though. Any fact in this?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 45 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls