BA New Password Requirement Hoax ?

Back to Forum
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• Anonymous

Travellator
    Participant

Just had an edition of BA’s The Club e mailed to me.

The last paragrapgh of which is
    NEW PASSWORD REQUIREMENT
    We’re improving the security of your account, which means you will need to update your third party nominee password.
    Please make sure your password is 6 to 20 characters long uses at least one number and has no special characters.

You will need to take action by 19 August 2014. This can be done by calling 0844 493 0747 ( option 3 ) or your local service centre.

Genuine or elaborate hoax ?

Very unusual for ANY company to handle personal passwords by telephone

peter19
    Participant

I have the same club email and the bit at the bottom which does seem very random…I’m making no calls but don’t have a 3rd party nominee anyway.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I don’t think it is a hoax. The password change appears to be for 3rd party access only – NOT primary access by the card holder to his/her account.

As I do not give 3rd party access, pretty irrelevant for me…

If I am reading incorrectly, please let me know

Kind regards

Travellator
    Participant

I wasn’t aware of a 3rd party nominee, so maybe just me being super wary ?

JordanD
    Participant

I believe that this (3rd Party Nominee) is where you (the passenger/Exec Club member) authorise the service centre that they can speak to a 3rd Party to deal with issues on your bookings/account. You therefore give the service centre a password which you also give your third party nominee, so that when they call in, and are appropriately challenged by the service centre to identify themselves, they give the password to identify themselves.

Clunky, yes, but it has its uses.

TimFitzgeraldTC
    Participant

I’m a 3rd party on a number of accounts and every time I call they ask for the 1st, 4th, 5th characters of the password (or combinations thereof).

However anyone getting this email if worried should be able to change the password online if you have a 3rd party on an account. Failing that call your “normal Gold/Silver/Bronze/Blue” number. Only I problem I have is as that as a TC I’ve been cut off by them a few times before I’ve had the chance to explain that I’m a 3rd party on an account. Lovely!

Travellator
    Participant

Fairly innocuous then and nothing to be concerned about.

With all the internet stuff about it doesn’t do any harm to be careful – anybody been asked to confirm their Apple or BT accounts recently – you know what I mean !

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls