BA Musical Chairs

Back to Forum
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

• Ricardo
    Participant

Just wondering if anyone has experienced frequent changes to flights, aircraft and seating (Club World) with BA. Last year we were due to go to Boston for 5 weeks (1 round trip) but at the time the US was not allowing UK visitors. We had to postpone to this year but could not do 1 trip of 5 weeks so had to split over 1 trip in June and 1 in September which we booked back in January. Thankfully Avios bookings so easy to rebook.

Since then, over last few months, we have had 3 flights cancelled, and put on earlier flights on the same day (thereby reducing number of daily flights I presume and understand). At least we get notification of these. What is more annoying is that BA keep changing the aircraft – 777 to 787 to A380 and of course seating gets changed. More often than not from window seats (our preference) to middle of middle section (our worst option). There is no notification of aircraft or seating changes. Thankfully Silver Exec member so can change seats at will without hideous charges. Now that I am wise to these constant changes I am checking our bookings on a daily basis. What a time waster!

Is this the new ‘norm’ can anyone tell me?

Cheers, Ricardo.

DavidSmith2
    Participant

I received a mail from BA today, cancelling the return leg of my flight from Accra to London. Having looked at the alternatives it certainlyseems that BA are tinkering with ther schedules. Accra-London seems to be moving from 7 flights a week, down to 5, at least in June. Moreover the new A350 is being back-filled by 777s, with all that entails.

on a number of levels, I am not happy and now in discussion on options.

FrequentTraveller
    Participant

[postquote quote=1212371]

It’s not the new ‘norm’ as it was the case with the old ‘norm’ too. I have experienced the same issue multiple times in the past. It’s been a “feature” of the British Airways system for many years, that if the passenger makes a change to the seat assignment they send an email to say the seat assignment has been changed on the booking. Which is a bit of a waste of time because as the passenger I know that I changed the seat.

However, when British Airways change the seat, for whatever reason such as aircraft type change, they do not send out an email notification. Which is exactly case when I would appreciate a notification so that I know to check the replacement allocation is acceptable to me.

I believe there are third party Apps which can be used to enter your booking references. They will monitor the bookings and notify when any changes have been detected. I haven’t used them myself so cannot comment on their effectiveness.

_glbetrkkr_
    Participant

Definitely experiencing “airplane” chairs. Have received two emails in the same week re changes from JFK-LHR-TLV. First was a change reducing my LHR connection to 1.5 hours (from 8 hours which was on purpose) to a full 24 hour connection (which I do not want). Sigh.

Gold-2K
    Participant

On a recent Boston flight, the scheduled departure time was changed to 15 minutes later. I got a message from BA saying my flight had been cancelled even though the new flight was the same flight number, only 15 mins later. BA told me “technically” the original flight had been cancelled so it was right that the system emailed everyone with a cancellation notice.

At the same time they changed the plane from a 787 to 777 (old club) and allocated me exactly the same seat number on the new a/c, which was fine except there is no seat 6A on a 777 with old Club World …. Doh!

Ricardo
    Participant

Thanks for replies. Glad I’m not the only one.

Ironically I just checked a booking I made for my sister in law to visit us in Boston this coming June. Shock horror the aircraft and seating on return flight has been changed! Her aisle seat in WT+ (which she paid £53 to assign) has been changed to middle of middle section. No other seats available. I called BA and managed to get through in just 20 mins. The chap said only front row of WT+ section not occupied and you can’t pre-assign those seats until 24 hours before flight departure even if you’re Gold Exec. He didn’t mention a refund of the £53 until I requested it either. I wonder how many people don’t get refunds when BA make these changes!

Ho hum… business as usual it seems.

ASK1945
    Participant

[quote quote=1213609]I wonder how many people don’t get refunds when BA make these changes![/quote]

I expect that like (I guess) other Forum users, I have recently started getting refunds to my credit card for the BA vouchers I still held, without actually requesting these. Today I received a message that they are refunding the last voiucher i hold (since September 2020) and it’s on the way to my Amex.

I can’t wait to see it. It’s for £1.54 !

DavidSmith2
    Participant

As previously mentioned on this thread, I am flying Accra-London next week with BA. The A350 has been replaced with a four class, un-refurburbished 777-200. However it is not showing the First cabin as open and, I checked with BA locally and they say that it is only showing as a 3 cabin service. Anyone have experience of First being closed off completely like that? With a load of avios, I would have been interested to upgrade, if the cabin was open for bookings. Any advice gratefully received.

SenatorGold
    Participant

[postquote quote=1215180]

It’s likely that First will remain unsold on the B777-200. When online check-in opens, you may find that seats in the First cabin become available for selection. However, the cabin service will remain as Club World.

1 user thanked author for this post.

SwissExPat
    Participant

[postquote quote=1215107]

Yes, I have received 2 refunds recently.

There is a difference here since there were TWO types of “Vouchers”

There were “Future Travel Vouchers” which have been refunded. I had 2 of these.

There were also “eVouchers” and these have not bee refunded. I have 1 of these.

I have on 2 occasions tried to use the “cVoucher” during a new ONLINE booking an have never managed to use it. A message always comes up saying to “Call the call centre”. Might be the new ruse of hoping we will give up and let the expire valueless?

TominScotland
    Participant

I used an e-voucher recently for a booking and it went through smoothly, just like cash (!!) with only a small add-on to pay.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls