BA moves the goalposts again!

Back to Forum
Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)

• openfly
    Participant

HenryP. Yes, but that situation doesn’t apply to my post. It was a 4 sector BA ticket.

EU_Flyer
    Participant

[quote quote=929327]Yes, as with many posters, I take advantage, totally legally, of BAs ex-Europe fares to save £2000 and travel in Comfort. If you, personally, think that is not quite ethical, fine.[/quote]

Perhaps the issue here is that you have accused BA of unethical behavior for not crediting the avios/TC for the last flight (you really didn’t want to fly anyway) but at the same time admitted that you’re playing the system to get cheaper fares ex continent. And then claiming you were being a gentleman about it?

You played the system with a 2000 GBP cheaper fare (admitted by your own gloating), got your E600 compensation immediately, avoided the LHR-AMS inconvenience and are now threatening to report a BA employee for telling you something that may have actually been true (ie no fly = no points) even when she offered you a refund of that last sector.

Am I the only one who thinks this is a little wrong? Please correct me if I am.

4 users thanked author for this post.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

My view is if you take advantage of the fares, you need to play by the rules. Even 27 hours late, your ticket destination remained AMS – the fact you got out at LHR and “released” your seat back to BA, suited you and not BA.

In the past, when the inbound was late and I missed the connection to AMS, I would ask whether it would be possible to move the final sector LHR-AMS to another day, after all I had missed my meeting being so late. Up until about 2 years ago BA would change the final sector foc & in one or two case, make it an open and flex single, which I would then use for the start of my next trip. Nowadays, BA insist the sector is flown same day or max within 24 hours of arrival.

In this situation, I would never have a problem with the unconnected return AMS-LHR ticket, BA would change that as well. After all how could they argue that it was my fault I had missed a flight, when it was their fault the unconnected flight arrived late.

I BENEFIT HUGELY with ex-Europe tickets – but I also play the game according to the BA rules.

4 users thanked author for this post.

openfly
    Participant

With everything resolved and refunded by BA expeditiously, the EU261 arrived in my bank account 7 days after the claim. Very impressive. We read such bad stories of lengthy difficult claims for EU261 but, in this case, BA surpassed themselves.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

@openfly – pleased to hear 261 was paid out so quickly.

Interested about your “released” LHR-AMS ticket in that BA paid you out prior to the journey completing (on the basis you had an ex-Europe ticket). Some will say EU261 is irrelevant of you completing the all sectors, but in my mind it could also be interpreted that BA are allowing the last sector to be dropped. I know my ticket counsellor has always made it clear that on tickets he issues, his firm will be chased for the costs arising from an unused sector.

Would be interested to hear the views on this by one of our ticket experts…

1 user thanked author for this post.

openfly
    Participant

@Martyn…not travelling on the last sector was amicably and mutually agreed by the Exec Club. After a 27 hour delay they proved to be reasonable! Alls well that ends well. If I had have accepted the rebooked sector to AMS with a 12 hour wait at LHR, all flights were full, the delay would have totalled 36 hours!

MartynSinclair
    Participant

[quote quote=929614]not travelling on the last sector was amicably and mutually agreed by the Exec Club[/quote]

which shows BA does use common sense occasionally. 🙂 – although I may have tried to negotiate a degree of future flexibility on the last sector. It does show, even ex-Europe tickets ‘can’ be changed for no charge….

SimonS1
    Participant

Honestly, I don’t see the issue here.

OP had a flight booked from Cape Town to London to Amsterdam. The flight was 27 hours late (yes….over a DAY LATE) and therefore OP had no need to go on to Amsterdam. It wasn’t unreasonable to ask for the original routing credit, nor was the OP gaming the system. Had the flight from Cape Town been on time then the original itinerary could have been used.

If you were travelling to Amsterdam for a meeting or an interview, would you really consider it reasonable to turn up a day late?

The rest of it is all irrelevant really, including the usual bizarre intervention about life on KLM.

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls