BA moves the goalposts again!

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)

• openfly
    Participant

Booked to fly CPT-LHR-AMS last sat. But, the aircraft was badly tech. We departed on the Sunday, 27 hours late. They have agreed to the €600 compensation.

At LHR I spoke to BA and released my seat for the 18.00 LHR-AMS back to BA due to the delay. They could then resell my Club seat. I was doing the gentlemanly thing.

When this happened to me previously, and per discussions here, I asked for the non-flown sector Tier Points and Avios to be credited to my Exec Club account. I expected them to agree as I hadn’t asked for a refund of this sector. My request was refused!

Next time I shall not give my seat back for them to sell.
    This situation has happened to me twice before with no problems.
    Another BAttle….

CathayLoyalist2
    Participant

Openfly . “Doing the Gentlemanly thing” and BA are not words you ususally find in the same sentence. I have had only two similar experiences, during 25 years of flying with Cathay out of Singapore with a need to connect in HKG for a long haul sector, flight to HKG sufered a long delay, but put on an SQ flight with points and miles credited without any fuss or bother. Not difficult but BA clearly choose to make it so

w8ster
    Participant

I avoid BA like and insect and if I could would spray them with insect repellent! Every time I fly them long or short, something goes wrong, their first response will always be blaming passengers until you prove them wrong (could take months because you can’t speak to a human when lodging a complain). Since 2010 when they left me stranded in PEK on my birthday because I have done all the right process (even paying fees) to change my flight but they messed up the booking and wouldn’t let me get on the flight telling me I would have to call UK helpdesk (With my global roaming charge) which wasn’t open till after the flight has taken off. So instead of getting home in time to celebrate my birthday with family after doing a charity trek in China, I was stuck in Beijing which they refuse to provide accommodation. Eventually took me over a month back and forth email to prove it was their mistake with all the evidence I have. That belated admission to their mistake was as far as they would go firmly saying they put me on the next day’s flight as if I should be grateful for that and no compensation was ever offered and not even an apology.

Over the years I have stupidly given them second chance and without fail screw me over in some way.. so to me they are just a pest would only every fly them if it was emergency or no other option. Angers me to even read it when magazines give them a good review. I class them the same as Ryan air..

1 user thanked author for this post.

rferguson
    Participant

It’s cr*p when things like this happen.

I was booked to fly CX from LHR-PER via HKG a few months back. The aircraft went tech in HKG and they offered me the option of flying the following day on CX or being re-routed via SIN with SQ. I specifically asked the question about tier points/avios and was assured that if I took the re-route via SIN I would accrue the original TP that I should have on the CX flight.

Of course they were never credited. Followed up with BA who said it was a CX issue. Followed up with CX who replied that because the re-route was ‘voluntary’ I was not entitled to any TP’s or Avios.

Another with Etihad Guest. I flew PR LHR-MNL-SYD and the best option is to credit miles to EY Guest. Clearly shows my EY guest number on my booking, as it does on every one of my boarding passes which I retained. Two months after the flight the miles still hadn’t been credited. Contacted EY Guest with photos of BP’s. Eventually another six months later the base miles were credited. But J class flights earn 125% on PR and EY credited me 100%. Contacted them again with original e-ticket showing booking class. That was two months ago. STILL waiting for the miles i’m entitled to to be credited.

Long and short of the story – in my experience unless you pretty much have your bum on a seat on a particular flight that earns you avios/TP’s it’s a real pain to get them.

andrew.gill
    Participant

Dear openfly, I’ve been in a similar situation and was credited tier points and Avios, so although it may not be right, it may be worth asking again

I’ll keep my fingers crossed

andrew

andrew.gill
    Participant

We all have old war stories but retelling them doesn’t help the original poster

MarcusGB
    Participant

I fly more KLM, and have to say in over 20 years, few “Tech” situations.
    When i have, always a range of options, they OFFER me the compensation (now you can complete on line at the time), and Always the miles are credited. Often they offer 100 Euros more if you take a credit for KLM than the pure cash EU compensation.

I find KLM very pro-active with Customer service, and fair play, unlike BA. This has been a part of their culture for many years, and i do not have to Battle or ever argue with KLM. I also get apology emails, extra something in miles or an upgrade.
    Cannot fault KLM these days, and keep my Platinum membership with them.

openfly
    Participant

Hi Girls and Guys…..Wouldn’t you know it!? About an hour after I posted this I received an email from BA totally contradicting the lady, and her supervisor, at the Exec Club, informing me that the Tier Points and Avios for the non-flown sector had been added to my account. I checked and there they were!

I always note the name of the person in the Exec Club that I am talking to. I have left a message for Ms H advising her of her annoying mistake!

Isn’t it time that Cruz asked/trained his staff not to apply what the individual “thinks” are the rules….so unprofessional.

Another BA tale of woe, but with a happy ending. I do so like a happy ending!!

flier74
    Participant

Hi openfly,
    I’m glad you got the result you wanted. However I am under the impression that the “Original Routing Credit” (ORC) only applies if you have been rerouted due to IROPS and miss out on Tier Points and Avios of the original ticket/routing due to that. So maybe the first agent was correct and you got the original Tier Points as a gesture of goodwill?
    Not sure where you are based and/or if you booked an AMS-LHR-CPT-LHR-AMS ticket in the first place and maybe, just maybe, I am only guessing, you didn’t need to go to AMS after all so it worked in your favour not going to AMS since you said you did the “gentlemanly thing” and gave up your Club Seat to AMS, not that BA necessarily was able to resell your seat at such short notice.
    Either way you got what you wanted and I am not sure if it is a good idea to complain about Mrs H (the first agent) as if they investigate the issue they may reverse their decision if it was done incorrectly. I am only guessing of course and given the ex EU cases, if yours was such case, I can only relay to other people’s experiences, I always fly the full itinerary. If you were not on an Ex EU Ticket please accept my apologies and ignore my advice.

3 users thanked author for this post.

rferguson
    Participant

[quote quote=929118]We all have old war stories but retelling them doesn’t help the original poster[/quote]

It is a discussion forum. I don’t see how related stories can be a bad thing especially as the OP wasn’t really asking for advice per se.

It wouldn’t be very interesting if people just posted and it was question and answer style scenario.

7 users thanked author for this post.

andrew.gill
    Participant

It’s less and less interesting and more often than not a chance to slag Company X off rather than share something that may help

Negative posts lead to more negativity, some brighter ones could bring a little sunshine to your lives

GivingupBA
    Participant

[quote quote=929295]It’s less and less interesting….. rather than share something that may help [/quote]

I appreciate your point, Andrew, and thank you. But such posts are in fact interesting, and enjoyable, and often helpful, for me.

Henryp1
    Participant

[quote quote=928971]Booked to fly CPT-LHR-AMS last sat. But, the aircraft was badly tech. We departed on the Sunday, 27 hours late. They have agreed to the €600 compensation.

At LHR I spoke to BA and released my seat for the 18.00 LHR-AMS back to BA due to the delay. They could then resell my Club seat. I was doing the gentlemanly thing.

When this happened to me previously, and per discussions here, I asked for the non-flown sector Tier Points and Avios to be credited to my Exec Club account. I expected them to agree as I hadn’t asked for a refund of this sector. My request was refused!

Next time I shall not give my seat back for them to sell.

This situation has happened to me twice before with no problems.

Another BAttle….[/quote]

I might have missed something but, if you chose not to fly then no tier points or Avios are awarded, my interpretation of the rules are that paid for tickets must be flown for the benefits. If a passenger declares they are not flying, I don’t know if this would be sufficient for the airline to sell further seats unless the reservation was formally cancelled.

If this is a routing purely to pay less for a ticket; ex EU ticketing, it must be one of the risks as are noted on numerous forums. I can’t see that BA have done anything apart from apply the rules.

2 users thanked author for this post.

openfly
    Participant

@Henryp1

I hear what you say. But, what rules? I was on the phone to the Exec Club to ask for the flight to be credited, as it has before. I couldn’t travel to AMS due to the 27 hour delay. I was told in no uncertain terms that the lady wouldn’t pay it, but agreed to refund the sector….goodness knows how!
    When I came off the phone to her another email had appeared from one of the lady’s colleagues informing me that as I hadn’t flown the sector, due to the circumstances, the Tier Points and Avios that I had asked for had been credited to my account.

Rules, what rules? I’m happy now.

Yes, as with many posters, I take advantage, totally legally, of BAs ex-Europe fares to save £2000 and travel in Comfort. If you, personally, think that is not quite ethical, fine. But please don’t suggest that we are taking any risks when they are published fares available to everybody. After all, why should our European neighbours be offered much lower fares?

Henryp1
    Participant

[quote quote=929327] @henryp1

I hear what you say. But, what rules? I was on the phone to the Exec Club to ask for the flight to be credited, as it has before. I couldn’t travel to AMS due to the 27 hour delay. I was told in no uncertain terms that the lady wouldn’t pay it, but agreed to refund the sector….goodness knows how!

When I came off the phone to her another email had appeared from one of the lady’s colleagues informing me that as I hadn’t flown the sector, due to the circumstances, the Tier Points and Avios that I had asked for had been credited to my account.

Rules, what rules? I’m happy now.

Yes, as with many posters, I take advantage, totally legally, of BAs ex-Europe fares to save £2000 and travel in Comfort. If you, personally, think that is not quite ethical, fine. But please don’t suggest that we are taking any risks when they are published fares available to everybody. After all, why should our European neighbours be offered much lower fares?[/quote]

I don’t believe I have inferred that Ex Europe fares are illegal, we all chose how to undertake our travel arrangements and the routing. The risks I mean are, if a customer travels on two separate tickets which do not link under one booking reference, then should the first ticket flights be delayed, this may mean that the next ticket flights to be used are also delayed or missed depending on the fare chosen. In which case I don’t believe the first ticket carrier has any responsibility.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls