BA: ‘Mixed Fleet’ Debuts

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 114 total)

• VintageKrug
    Participant

Here is the list of MF routes:

November 2010 – Prague (PRG), Pisa (PSA), St Petersburg (LED)
    December 2010 – Denver (DEN), Las Vegas (LAS)
    January 2011 – Budapest (BUD), Nairobi (NBO)
    February 2011 – Kiev (KBP), Tripoli (TIP), Mauritius (MRU) and Haneda* (HND)
    March 2011 – Luanda (LAD)
    April 2011 – Atlanta (ATL)
    May 2011 – Manchester (MAN) and Amsterdam (AMS)
    June 2011 – San Diego** (SAN)

* New BA route from 19th Feb 2011
    ** New BA route from June 2011

Bill_Hants
    Participant

Going round the buoy again, eh Nigel?

“… is better than anyone else …”

“… more important than a string of qualifications …”

BTW, is this you? I think we should be told !!

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/news/local/east-hampshire/oap_demands_apology_after_councillor_brands_him_a_stupid_moaner_1_1281531

batraveller2
    Participant

More flights to be avoided if you want appalling service on long haul! Luckily it seems that BA management at least seem to put these inexperienced (ex charter airline crew with no standards) on tourist routes like Las Vegas and San Diego which in all reality should probably be operating from LGW. If you want to go Vegas in business, do not waste your time on the joke of mixed crew club, but book upper class on Virgin (and I have no status on Virgin but am a gold member on ba). Luckily I enjoyed outstanding service with the traditional CSD and amazing crew on the upper Deck to LA yesterday who are having more of their routes taken off them – though interestingly it does not seem to be premium routes such as LA and JFK which sums up that mixed fleet could not serve customers adequately on people who know what to expect from BA.

VintageKrug
    Participant

In actual fact many of the original Mixed Fleet crews were recruited from within BA and also from other full service airlines such as bmi and Virgin.

While there were apparently some initial teething problems, the feedback I see elsewhere on these routes is generally positive, with a noticeable trend towards proactive and more enthusiastic service.

I fly BA because of the great product online, in the lounges and on board; the crew make up a significant part of this, and I (generally) am impressed by crews on board; however there are some who have become jaded with their role, and longevity does not always engender top-notch customer focus; introducing objective performance management in the new Mixed Fleet can only be a good thing!

It is refreshing to see some new faces joining the fleet who will continue the proud tradition of the best of British Airways cabin crew.

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

“They are not near Baghdad, they are nowhere, this is silly.”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXl1GkWWGmA&feature=related

oldskoolcsd
    Participant

amazing flights with the mixed fleet to and from ATL recently. There definitely seems to be a change in attitude, no bitching about striking in galley etc… they couldn’t do enough

gary4130
    Participant

Wow , what am I letting myself in for ! I am starting as mixed fleet in October……BUT I worked for BA from 97″ till 05″. So I have to admit I used to moan about working for airways.I started as a loader at LGW then went upstairs to customer service. I won various awards for my customer service and going the extra mile for customers blah blah blah. I left and moved down under for three years…laid back lifestyle ? I have never worked so bloody hard in my life ! woked in customer service in the automotive industry, eleven hours a day NO PROPER BREAK and worked every other Saturday (hope that answers the person who winged about 9-5 people having it easy) Starting money is not good, but I intend to move on as soon as I can, if its a bum deal I will leave…all you whinging crew…you have a choice as well !

gary4130
    Participant

And as for Unions, when I was a loader at LGW it came to light that our “hard working union hero’s” were on the fiddle and holidaying with management in the US…so the union thing is a waste of time ! I do not have a chip on my shoulder towards anybody on a brilliant contract with BA (my wife and I have a friend who is on a “cushty deal”) I would love to be joining on that money…but a great deal of shoddy service out of LHR is from these lazy lot !who do not realise what a great deal they are getting, try and earn that money outside of BA ! and what pratt said on that most old crew had a degree standard education! (when I was at LGW check in, the ex crew who came over to us had trouble passing the training let alone learning all about ticketing, immigration rules ect ect) Down at the gate I had to help many crew out with technical problems when they were totally out of their depth. Some crew are friends to this day..not all bad x

gary4130
    Participant

I am concerned about the comments about mixed fleet being filled by ex “Asda shelf stackers” (are you any better qualified Mr old school crew ?) I hope there is no agression towards us from main line crew. But since moving back from down under I intended to work for myself fulltime ( I have an online performance bicycle parts business and rent out a few properties) but things are still a bit shakey out there. So I am really looking forward to working in the “people business” again.

Since coming back home (and moving to a new part of the UK to be near my wifes very ill parents) I have used my HGV license to gain work (as most local customer service work is not much above the minimum wage at the moment) Driving a truck for up to thirteen hours a day and moving pallets up to 800kgs is just a bit testing on your back (Eddie Stobart drivers can earn 40k a year…for working 75 hrs a week !) And I have had to mix with some not very pleasant blokes, but needs must… So you old crew need to “man up” and stop whinging, and if you feel like being a bit sarky to a member of mixed fleet, best not do it to me. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

gary4130
    Participant

Just have to apoligise for any spelling mistakes or bad grammer, but been on the “red” big time since reading this quite funny forum. Just looked at my wife who is crashed out on the sofa, she is a secondary school teacher who is a head of year, she is just a couple of days into her summer holiday, she is just shattered…she has so much responsibility and different things to deal with ( and many days left to sit in front of a PC before the new term) AND SHE EARNS NOT A LOT MORE THAN A OLD SCHOOL CREW MEMBER ……….rant over x

Tete_de_cuvee
    Participant

Proves the point, if it is for real, that the bar has been lowered so far a snake would trip over it…

In future try to avoid details which can be verified –
    HGV driving is highly regulated in the UK. The working time directive limits hours to Max 56 hours in one week and 90 hours in 2 weeks. Given Stobart prides itself on its ethics maybe you shoud have used some nonentity company to spin.

Suggest you remove your potentially libellous claim as it could imply Stobart engages in illegal work practices.

http://www.hgvcity.com/Regulations/regulations.htm

As to 800kg – best to use a forklift (not so tough on the back) as even champion weightlifters have a problem over 200kg

Also it aids credibility to use the appropriate popular terms – a “Loader” is a baggage “handler”. It is dispatchers or red caps at the gate who liaise with crew, as am sure you are aware.

Avoid being bitter. Hope you enjoy your sojourn as crew with BA, am sure you’ll fit in fine with the standards and kindred spirits of mixed fleet.

Binman62
    Participant

tete_de_cuvee……………….people in glass should not to throw stones.

There is no such thing as a dispatcher, they are known in BA as Turnaround Managers and have been for several years. It is true they wear a red cap and kown within the airline as “red caps” but dispatchers is so 1990’s and out of date….. They had responsibility for the production of load sheets removed 4 or perhaps 5 years ago as the load sheet can be done anywhere and sent to the aircraft automatically. Qantas have it are sent from SIN and AA sent from Dallas on a global basis.

Tete_de_cuvee
    Participant

Binman62

I’ll leave it to you to enlighten BA with the news that their “dispatchers” have been re-titled 😉

http://www.britishairwaysjobs.com/baweb1/?newms=info186

VintageKrug
    Participant

Your link, like the language you use, is to an out of date job vacancy.

NTarrant
    Participant

Tete – Stobart drivers can quite easily work 75 hours as Gary says, it is that they can’t drive more than 56 hours a week or 90 in a fortnight.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 114 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls