BA Miles Upgrades for Shareholders

Back to Forum
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• Anonymous

frustratedflyer
    Participant

I am a BA Shareholder and get discounted flights. I have been trying for many months to upgrade to the next class of travel using BA Miles -something BA often promotes. I have never been able to do so. I have now been told by BA that this is not possible. The Shareholder discount is seen by BA as on offer (nothing to do with shareholder loyalty) and as such they are unwilling to let shareholders take advantage of another offer (ie the miles upgrade). Come on BA surely this is no major thing and you should be rewarding those that support you.

FrequentTraveller
    Participant

I am a BA shareholder too. On the reserve side of the Shareholder discount letter this is explained by the terms and conditions number 11. This restriction has been in place for a number of years. I would also like to have both the discount and the upgrade but unfortunately that’s not the way it works.

When I am considering using BA Miles to upgrade, I first find out if there are any seats available for upgrade. If there is availability then the upgrade is usually better value than the 10% discount. So I buy a regular fare and use the miles to upgrade at the time of booking. If there is no availability then make a 10% discount booking.

Obviously that strategy does not work if you are already booked, or more seats are released nearer to the date of travel. But it’s something to consider.

VintageKrug
    Participant

You get a 10% discount on the price of a BA fare (excludes tax and charges) if you hold 200 or more shares on the record date (which is usually the first week in November each year).

The cost is currently around #300; if you spend more than #3000 on BA flights, you start benefitting from the purchase.

I think this is a pretty good deal, and as with so much in life there are restrictions.

But the discount is best used to purchase premium fares, and in the current sale there are some terrific bargain http://www.newclubworld.com fares, so good that you can often fly Club for a little more (maybe #300 more) than would have been the cost of the WT+ fare, and you get to save your miles.

So, don’t look a gift horse in the mouth – get out there and snap up some premium fares before the sale ends, and benefit from the discount and the additional mileage and tier point earning opportunities the Club World ticket brings.

http://www.bashares.com

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls