BA Miles + Tier Points for Flights not Flown

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

• Anonymous

MrSleepy
    Participant

Can anyone let me know why you don’t get the BA tier points and miles for a flight booked and paid for, but not flown?

I recently booked a fixed ticket for a business trip as it seemed unlikely I’d need to make any changes to the schedule. Of course the inevitable happened and I needed a different return flight. As it was cheaper to make a separate one-way booking for the return than amend the original booking (and pay the up-grade fee), I did that and just ignored my original return flight.

I think I should get the BA miles and Tier points for the 3 flights I paid for (even though I only flew on 2 of them). After-all, I paid for the wasted flight! BA have my money – arguably I saved them money by not taking that flight (fuel, baggage handling, wine!).

Any thoughts / explanation?

JordanD
    Participant

I’m sure someone will be along with a more elloquant answer, but put simply, BA’s programme is a Frequent Flyer Programme, so you have to fly, to actually get the miles & tier points!

MrSleepy
    Participant

I get that point – but I think it is a bit mean of them!

The flight has been paid for. What is the difference to BA whether I sit in the seat or not! The only difference I can see is that they make more profit (albeit small) as I didn’t use the service I paid for….

Hippocampus
    Participant

I see where you’re coming from but awarding miles and tier points for flights not taken could result in passengers effectively shopping for frequent flyer status by buying the cheapest tier point earning flights across the alliance network with no intention to take the flights.

continentalclub
    Participant

I’m not aware of any major airline programme that credits reward currency for a flight that is not actually flown.

The only small, arguable, exception that I can think of is Jet2.com, who award myJet2 points once payment is taken. However, redemption availability is limited, the route network small and there are no status levels/benefits or alliance partners.

Interested to know if there are indeed any other network carriers who reward no-shows; I suspect that they’ll be few and far between for the reason that Hippocampus suggests above.

VintageKrug
    Participant

In fact, BA’s scheme is not a “frequent flyer” scheme as it is not frequency of travel which is rewarded, but rather the value of the flights taken in premium cabins which is the focus of the scheme.

Hence the name Executive Club.

Having said that, with recent changes to incentivise non-premium tickets (100% of mileage flown, up from 25%) it is moving towards a more traditional Frequent Flyer model, but it remains most valuable for those who fly in Business cabins.

PatJordan
    Participant

MrSleepy,

I had a similar experience with Aer Lingus some years ago. Their stance was that their FFP was a flying club and if soebody didn’t actually fly then the points would not be awarded.

A bit miserable to be sure, but no different from Hotel loyalty schemes.

As somebody once said, the devil is in the detail!

Safe travels, All,

Pat

eybusiness
    Participant

I had once booked a Vienna return with BA and couldn’t go and they still gave me all my Miles and Tier points for this flight. It was a cheap return eco, but I received 10 Tier points and 500 miles.

travelworld
    Participant

The only time I have earned miles on a flight I didn’t take was when I was flying from Miami to LHR on IB via Madrid. The flight was heavily delayed and so I was switched to AA direct to LHR. At the time the AA and BA Open Skies deal wasn’t done so it wasn’t possible to earn BA miles on AA across the Atlantic. However, I was still credited with the miles by Iberia.

conair346
    Participant

I’ve got reward points for flights I didn’t pay for.

Flew LX two years ago on a BD reward ticket, I somehow came by 1000 DC points for making the journey.

Fijura01
    Participant

I had a slightly different experience with BA. Booked a round trip flight with several connections. One of my connecting flights was delayed, so missed my flight back to London and was put on the next flight by BA (as was one ticket and so did not need to rebook) but then did not get my airmiles as I had not flown on the flight as booked. Phoned BA and had my miles eventually credited.

VintageKrug
    Participant

The most effective way of getting missing miles credited to your account is (in the first instance) to complete the online form from your BAEC homepage:

http://www.britishairways.com/travel/retro/execclub/_gf/en_gb

No airline gives Tier Points or Miles for journeys not flown with the exceptions of errors in administration (rare – and if you get one don’t bleat about it on the internet, as it’s likely to be systemic) or as compensation in the event you are involuntarily re-routed on another carrier.

Biggless
    Participant

I agree with MrSleepy, I can not understand why it would not even be a practice the airlines would want to encourage ! A few yrs back I paid about £2000 for a non-refundable US trip with KLM and had to cancel. Obviously I didn’t expect the money back but as I did do them the courtesy of cancelling in advance, I think they should have awarded the points. Afterall they had my money and could resell the seat, and I drank no champagne, meals etc… I think if this happens again I will not cancel and still check in on line to maximise the chance that at least the outbound flight goes with my seat empty ! Any airline senior staff reading this post – which would you prefer ? Give me some points/miles which cost me £2000 or have the confusion of me checking in but not showing up ?

Binman62
    Participant

Biggless….Sadly plan will not work on BA. If you dont clear security in T5 at -40 to STD then off you come and they have staff standing by both landside and airside to take up your seat.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls