BA Miffed Fleet

Back to Forum
Viewing 11 posts - 106 through 116 (of 116 total)

• VectorOne
    Participant

Tom,

What an incredibly poor response.

(1) BT’s forum has a bully (2) whose behaviour you are choosing to ignore (3) all the while making the forum a most unpleasant experience for people who just want to read and share experiences.

I find BT’s dealing with this whole issue to be at the very least complicit – there are much more meaningful things that you can do rather than just ask people to “play nice”. Write publicly to the bully asking them to desist from such behaviour; restrict their capacity to post; edit their contributions; ban them.

It has been encouraging to see posters ignore the bully and refusing to respond to the bully’s taunts. Such behaviour is to be commended. More of that will be helpful.

But what has been missing in it all is any meaningful response from BT, which at the very least is shameful on you and Panacea Publishing. You know what’s going on – it has been raised a number of times – and in spite of your protestations you’re happy to let it continue.

So Tom, take this as a personal appeal for BT to get its act together. You have the capacity to deal with the problem but appear to lack the will. If you saw any sort of bullying behaviour on any airline’s flight you would surely call it for what it is. Why do you chose to ignore similar behaviour on your own patch?

By the way, to those who are concerned about such matters, I know I’m highjacking this thread and going off topic… and it feels really good.

K1ngston
    Participant

FDOS are they not inextricably linked? It was a move by management to “try” and maintain service levels at a reduced rate which has backfired spectacularly..

As was mentioned if it were handled differently as in the case of Qantas there might have been a different outcome and we wouldn’t be having the conversation.

I know that all airlines are in “business” but isnt their business getting people from point A to B in the safest and most comfortable way, BA thought they had a way of doing it better and impacting the bottom line in a favourable way?

rferguson
    Participant

I can see another thread that people have interest in being closed….. šŸ™

Maybe someone should start a ‘let me vex’ thread specifically for that purpose? šŸ™‚

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=814431]FDOS are they not inextricably linked? It was a move by management to ā€œtryā€ and maintain service levels at a reduced rate which has backfired spectacularly..

As Swissdiver pointed out in response to your comments, this thread focused on mixed fleet, so your point above is relevant in the context of ‘what’s the point of mixed fleet’, but the broader customer experience and comparisons with other airlines (which seem to me to be well made) would be best on the other thread I’ve opened for that purpose.

As was mentioned if it were handled differently as in the case of Qantas there might have been a different outcome and we wouldnā€™t be having the conversation.

That is a good reflection, leading me to ask what is the point of doing it in a way that seems engineered to create division and make it more challening to roster crew across the airline?

I know that all airlines are in ā€œbusinessā€ but isnt their business getting people from point A to B in the safest and most comfortable way, BA thought they had a way of doing it better and impacting the bottom line in a favourable way?

Some people may argue that their business is to make the shareholders a better rate of return than they can get elsewhere – does mixed fleet help them to do this (and the short/long term perspective may differ on this point)

[/quote]

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=814432]I can see another thread that people have interest in being closedā€¦.. ?

Maybe someone should start a ā€˜let me vexā€™ thread specifically for that purpose? ?

[/quote]

+1

AlanOrton1
    Participant

I apologise if some of this may sound like it is stating the obvious, but my take on BA’s thoughts behind this are:

MF are much cheaper
    Legacy, not only do they receive higher wages, there are higher on-costs as well as other T’ & C’s that are likely a factor. Such as pensions.

As a result they want to get their staffing costs down.

I’d hazard a guess, like handbag & rferguson have mentioned, given their far greater insight than mine, that BA would like over time to see Legacy decrease further and further in numbers as in their mind it will help their bottom line.

I suspect MF, at least for now, is where BA see the future being. It is a crew that are paid similar levels to VS, EZY etc, which I suspect is what they want.
    My concern is part of what set or sets BA apart is there are some truly excellent, experienced crew that are very capable of delivering superb service which is better than you’ll get on a VS or similar.

Perhaps if BA really see MF as the future, they need to pay them at market + 10%. Plus have career progression options so over time they do develop some experienced crew, who are capable of delivering excellent customer service, albeit on a lower cost base than the Legacy crew.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

Good points, Alan.

flyman747
    Participant

This thread is quite interesting. The only poster that spoils it is intheair – fdos has not been angry or arrogant. They have simply been stating their opinions, and was not tarring everybody with the same brush. In their opening post, they said “Quite a lot of those Iā€™ve experienced arenā€™t very good at their job (seem under trained)
    ā€“ Quite a lot of those Iā€™ve experienced donā€™t seem to care too much about doing a good job”. Nowhere did he say ALL mixed fleet are bad. Just the ones he has experienced, but you became accusatory for no reason.

openfly
    Participant

UNITE announce a 14 day BA cabin crew strike from the 1st July. An attempt to get BA senior management to come their senses….but I doubt it!

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=814484]UNITE announce a 14 day BA cabin crew strike from the 1st July. An attempt to get BA senior management to come their sensesā€¦.but I doubt it!

[/quote]

It looks as if the latest round of talks failed – 14 days is a big deal, IMO, it will be difficult to cover as easily as in the shorter strikes.

What does anyone else think?

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=814483]This thread is quite interesting. The only poster that spoils it is intheair ā€“ fdos has not been angry or arrogant. They have simply been stating their opinions, and was not tarring everybody with the same brush. In their opening post, they said ā€œQuite a lot of those Iā€™ve experienced arenā€™t very good at their job (seem under trained)
    ā€“ Quite a lot of those Iā€™ve experienced donā€™t seem to care too much about doing a good jobā€. Nowhere did he say ALL mixed fleet are bad. Just the ones he has experienced, but you became accusatory for no reason.

[/quote]

Thanks Flyman747, for the balanced comment. I also pointed out, more than once, that the lack of training is a management responsibility – not the mixed fleet member’s fault. You cannot blame individuals for being under trained.

Viewing 11 posts - 106 through 116 (of 116 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls