BA Miffed Fleet

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 116 total)

• SimonS1
    Participant

The trouble with rferguson and handbag is they both talk far too much common sense. Sadly this is totally unsuited to a BA environment.

Divide & conquer, dumbing down, cost reduction etc are all part of the BA armoury, when working as a team, experienced/trained staff and investing wisely are what made BA a great airline.

Between 2003 and 2004 I did London – JNB every month, the flat beds in J were the bees knees with crew who were proud to be there. 14 years on and if you are unlucky you will get exactly the same beaten up old 747s (less of course the one that was taxied into a wall in Joburg) with the same business class showing its age, and crew hired on a minimum wage type budget.

Hard to see how this will change really, as Intheair told us before it’s basically tough as the crew signed a contract and Walsh will smash any sign of dispute like he smashed BASSA before.

Will the last member of legacy turn off the lights on the way out. But please don’t pull the plug out in case it shuts BA down for the weekend by mistake.

To fly to serve and all that.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Thank you so much for so many informed posts on this thread.

We received the following….

Unite Press Release
    For immediate use: Wednesday 14 June 2017
    Unite questions British Airways’ desire to resolve mixed fleet cabin crew dispute

Britain’s largest union, Unite questioned British Airways’ desire to resolve a long running dispute involving mixed fleet cabin crew when the airline failed to send its key decision makers to talks at the conciliation service Acas today (Wednesday 14 June).

Expressing deep frustration, Unite said it would be writing to British Airways with a final compromise position on the outstanding issue of the sanctioning of striking cabin crew.

Unite, which is pursuing 1,400 legal cases against the airline on behalf of cabin crew who were sanctioned for taking strike action, gave British Airways until noon Friday (16 June) to accept. A failure to do so would result in further prolonged industrial action through the summer months.

Unite suspended a planned four-day strike by British Airways mixed fleet cabin crew to allow fresh talks to be held. Unite members had been due to walkout on Friday (16 June).

Commenting Unite assistant general secretary Howard Beckett said: “It is deeply disappointing that British Airways failed to send key decision makers to talks at Acas and places a question mark against the airline’s desire to resolve this dispute.

“The use of sanctions by British Airways against striking members of mixed fleet cabin is divisive and, we believe, illegal, which is why we have started 1,400 legal cases.

“A final position of compromise is being given in writing to British Airways for acceptance by noon on Friday. We would implore senior bosses at British Airways to use the next couple of days to reach a settlement and avoid further damaging industrial action.”

openfly
    Participant

@rferguson and handbag….thank you for the excellent, reasoned discussion. One has to hope that senior BA management read your missives, but I doubt it. In their usual BA arrogance they would never agree…such a shame.

icenspice
    Participant

Strange that Legacy crew pushed me over the edge. You wouldn’t believe some of the snide remarks I received on my last BA l/h flight late 2015 from crew.

Overpaid, jumped-up bunch of miserables (in general).

I am so glad I am BA-free.

handbag
    Participant

Openly and SimonS1
    Thank you both for your comments. It is good to know that the Crews views are appreciated.

canucklad
    Participant

Great and insightful comments as always by handbag and rferguson and a very revealing post by Tom-ref Unites position.

I’ve commented before on this topic and my views haven’t altered much.

For me the journey is almost over for BA’s top brass, with what they’ve tried to achieve with the implementation of MF.
    .Another bout of industrial action will no doubt be expected by the Waterside gang and I’m sure they’re ready for the fight.

And I wonder if Skytrax recent downgrading of BA to a 3 star airline will come as a surprise to Cruz and co, or is it part of IAG’s strategy to have a consistent brand “Level” across their proposition.
    If so MF have played a significant role in the removal of BA’s premium airline status.

openfly
    Participant

@icenspice. I think we are all glad that you are “BA-free”.

icenspice
    Participant

openfly, no apologies for speaking my mind, as that would be hypocritical, and obviously touching a raw nerve ?

Swissdiver
    Participant

Bad internet connexion. Wrong quote… Sorry

Swissdiver
    Participant

[quote quote=814108] @rferguson and handbag….thank you for the excellent, reasoned discussion. One has to hope that senior BA management read your missives, but I doubt it. In their usual BA arrogance they would never agree…such a shame.

[/quote]

+1

icenspice
    Participant

[quote quote=814187] @icenspice. I think we are all glad that you are “BA-free”.

[/quote]

I doubt that was a Royal ‘we’. Ok, peeps…off on my annual hols to a very exclusive Costa Lol

Henryp1
    Participant

I believe that there are good and not so good in each type of cabin crew, mixed fleet have given some superb service and continuity over time, just as the old contract crew have been dreadful with an attitude of entitlement over giving proactive service. As with any employee I believe that if they don’t like it, they shouldn’t stay as it must be unnecessarily stressful for them regardless of the free flights etc.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=814263]I believe that there are good and not so good in each type of cabin crew, mixed fleet have given some superb service and continuity over time, just as the old contract crew have been dreadful with an attitude of entitlement over giving proactive service. As with any employee I believe that if they don’t like it, they shouldn’t stay as it must be unnecessarily stressful for them regardless of the free flights etc.

[/quote]

Henryp1

With the very greatest of respect, this it completely NOT THE POINT of this thread.

As thread starter, may I ask you to stay in the scope, which is what is the point of creating a new group of cabin crew, with a fresh start and then allowing it to become demotivated.

By all means, start your own thread on which fleet is best (or not), but pleased don’t drift mine. Thank you.

Henryp1
    Participant

[quote quote=814270]

I believe that there are good and not so good in each type of cabin crew, mixed fleet have given some superb service and continuity over time, just as the old contract crew have been dreadful with an attitude of entitlement over giving proactive service. As with any employee I believe that if they don’t like it, they shouldn’t stay as it must be unnecessarily stressful for them regardless of the free flights etc.

Henryp1

With the very greatest of respect, this it completely NOT THE POINT of this thread.

As thread starter, may I ask you to stay in the scope, which is what is the point of creating a new group of cabin crew, with a fresh start and then allowing it to become demotivated.

By all means, start your own thread on which fleet is best (or not), but pleased don’t drift mine. Thank you.

[/quote]

Gosh what an angry poster you are, it feels as though you’ve singled me out over others, I’m just posting as some others have. Never mind as an open forum I believe I have the right to post, when I debate with friends we use What’s App where we know exactly who is who. That way no nonsense as a fact is a fact. Taking the title into account I thought it was a light hearted thread as I’ve never heard of ‘Miffed fleet’.

Swissdiver
    Participant

[quote quote=814295]FDOS

You do not own this forum – lighten up, you are making a complete fool of yourself.

What Henry posted was entriely reasonable – back off.

You have some real issues

[/quote]

Intheair,

This is a place where we discuss various travelling topics. Flaming has no place here.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 116 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls