BA Miffed Fleet

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 116 total)

• stevescoots
    Participant

Its called efficiancy , not cost cutting. WW today……

They are one and the same in my book, improving efficiancy = reduced cost = cutting costs. Its how you apply it that matters and consistant service costs nothing, That is down to the training and on board management by the CSD

esselle
    Participant

Don’t be silly. It’s not about cutting costs, it’s about curtailing outgoings.

capetonianm
    Participant

Cutting costs if it results in greatr loss of revenue and goodwill is a false economy, that’s what BA have achieved.

I used to have breakfast frequently at a particular cafe, quality and service were superb, and it was always full. New management went on a ‘cost cutting’ campaign, reduced the quality of the components, used cheap bacon and sausages, nasty bottled orange juice, reduced the quality and number of waiters. It quickly lost most of its customers and after a few months closed down.

BA won’t close down, that’s the only difference.

Flightlevel
    Participant

Marketing lesson called ‘the man who sold hamburgers’ about father who put son through college, gave him a burger bar and after forecast recession son cut back staff and service and eventually went under. Meanwhile dad still sells burgers and good service!

Swissdiver
    Participant

[quote quote=812773]PS. How does anyone know the difference between mixed and legacy?

[/quote]

On long haul flights, if you have on board a CSD, you are in good hands, if you have a CSM, then too bad… On a short haul, it is more complicated, but I don’t see them often, being based in a destination always served by legacy crews…

Swissdiver
    Participant

Talking about miffed fleet, I am flabegasted as I’ve just realised I am facing one tonight… ?

Flightlevel
    Participant

How can anyone live on about £142/week in London, unless they live with parents – they must be keen?

capetonianm
    Participant

My missus flew last night JNB LHR, business class. She think it’s was a MF crew (has another interpretation for the meaning of MF!), she said with the exception of one crew member they were pretty indifferent. However her IFE was working, which is an achievement, although she said there was little of interest, food moderate, and nice and quiet upstairs.

Enjoyed the LHR arrivals lounge at T3.

Swissdiver
    Participant

[quote quote=813632]My missus flew last night JNB LHR, business class. She think it’s was a MF crew (has another interpretation for the meaning of MF!), she said with the exception of one crew member they were pretty indifferent. However her IFE was working, which is an achievement, although she said there was little of interest, food moderate, and nice and quiet upstairs.

Enjoyed the LHR arrivals lounge at T3.
    [/quote]

T3? JNB arrives at T5… Which of the two flights was it? On the lorry (aka A380) or on the B747? I was unfortunately on the former. The MF crew was however quite good, excepted for the CSM who looks living on his planet…

capetonianm
    Participant

Yep, my mistake. She flew from CPT but transitted JNB so it was LHR T5 and it was the 747.
    I have yet to fly on the 380 and not that bothered.

JonathanCohen09
    Participant

I would say that BA as a carrier are consistently inconsistent and that applies, in my experience to both legacy and mixed fleet crews. I have had some excellent flights in both J and F with both types of crew but have also had some poor experiences as well with both types of crew. To some extent it depends on the crew on the day.
    The product they have to offer, well that is entirely down to BA not the crew most of whom do the best they can with what they have to offer so I agree totally with @Intheair that we should not tar everyone with the same brush.
    I have had great experiences and poor experiences with many of the airlines that I have flown with, Virgin and the US carriers and their is a deal of inconsistency too with the ME3 as well.
    The honourable exception for me is Swiss with whom I have never so far had a poor experience in any of their cabins.
    As I have said many times on the forum in the past and will no doubt say in the future, if you really are as unhappy as some of you seem to be from the posts that you write there is a simple answer, vote with your feet as their are always alternatives to BA many of which offer better service and value for money!

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=813827]I would say that BA as a carrier are consistently inconsistent and that applies, in my experience to both legacy and mixed fleet crews. I have had some excellent flights in both J and F with both types of crew but have also had some poor experiences as well with both types of crew. To some extent it depends on the crew on the day.
    The product they have to offer, well that is entirely down to BA not the crew most of whom do the best they can with what they have to offer so I agree totally with @Intheair that we should not tar everyone with the same brush.
    I have had great experiences and poor experiences with many of the airlines that I have flown with, Virgin and the US carriers and their is a deal of inconsistency too with the ME3 as well.
    The honourable exception for me is Swiss with whom I have never so far had a poor experience in any of their cabins.
    As I have said many times on the forum in the past and will no doubt say in the future, if you really are as unhappy as some of you seem to be from the posts that you write there is a simple answer, vote with your feet as their are always alternatives to BA many of which offer better service and value for money!

[/quote]

I think we are in danger of putting the horse before the cart, on this thread.

The OP said

Is anyone else beginning to wonder what is the point of miffed fleet?

– Quite a lot of those I’ve experienced aren’t very good at their job (seem under trained)
    – Quite a lot of those I’ve experienced don’t seem to care too much about doing a good job
    – 8 strikes over a 6 month period ain’t a great advert for them or the airline

So what is the point of this lot?

Nota bene:

1 – observational data of behaviour
    2 – no blame of individuals
    3 – no tarring of everyone with the same brush

The question is ‘what is the point?’ – the closest response to the question I’ve seen was from Steve Scoots in post
    #813417.

As I’ve stated previously on the forum, quality guru William Edwards Deming made the case that 85% of quality problems are management’s responsibility, so the 15% that is not can probably be explained to a great extent by the actions of a minority of crew who let their side down, backed up by an observed air of demotivation (they look miffed) by many.

So, to re-focus the original question, let’s look at two givens

1 – a premium airline flying experience is greatly reliant on the skill and attitude of the crew
    2 – crew service training/performance is a differentiator between companies

I ask again, in more words this time, what is the point of employing a large workforce, many of whom seem to be lacking in service delivery skills, who appear to be largely demotivated and who have called 8 strikes in the last 8 months? (althought #8 is currently suspended for talks).

NB: this is not a matter of questioning value for money nor thinking about going to another airline, it is a question on BA’s strategic thinking (or lack of).

NBB: The thread is not about comparing MF to WW or EF, either, it’s about the current state of a stategic gambit of some years ago.

Intheair
    Blocked

FDOS

Two observations;

1. You have too much time on your hands

2. Stop digging that hole – it’s deep enough already

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=813841]FDOS

Two observations;

1. You have too much time on your hands

2. Stop digging that hole – it’s deep enough already

[/quote]

One observation, you don’t seem able to grasp the subject and have to resort to ad hominem comments.

Intheair
    Blocked

Even deeper – you’ll be able to get to Australia soon …..

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 116 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls