BA Lounge access Florence (FLR) airport

Back to Forum
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• FDOS
    Participant

Just a data point for anyone who is travelling on BA from FLR.

The oneworld website shows access as being limited to Iberia sapphire/emerald card holders, however, my wife and I were directed to the lounge at check-in and admitted on the basis of my sapphire card. The lounge itself is small and not great, but it is a lot nicer than sitting in the departure area, so was welcome.

However the situation regarding priority security is less clear – the BA Logo is shown and my BP was accepted and I was directed to the priority lane, getting a green tick and authorised message, but my wife was directed down the non-priority lane (which was not at all busy). Then the security agent seemed to have a change of heart and apparently wanted me to open the tensa barrier and go from the priority to the non-priority lane!

Hope this info may assist other travellers.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Hello FDOS,

I doubt if Florence’s small airport will ever develop facilities worthy of the many volumes of visitors who descent on this famous Tuscan city.

Until about 30 years ago Peretola airport was military only and then a small number of commercial flights were granted access.

One could say it’s Italy’s version of our LCY (but without the modern terminal).

I haven’t used that airport for many years but I can recall its tiny and stuffy terminal and the short runway which limits aircraft type and flight range (as at LCY).

Flight operations are pro

1 user thanked author for this post.

FDOS
    Participant

Hello Alex

FLR was in use for commercial flights more than 30 years ago – I can attest, as I made a 35 minute hop from Milano to Peretola on an Avio Ligure Yak 40 circa 1979 🙂

Most of my flights are forgotten, but not the one where the captain proudly announced they were reducing power on the #2 engine in the cruise, for fuel economy! For those (understandably) unfamiliar with the Yak 40, it was a small trijet.

They have refurbed the airport a fair amount since I was last there (about 15 years ago) and I’d put it on a par with LCY in most ways.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Appreciate this information FDOS.

I first visited Florence in 1980 and I drove down from Turin (fond memories of the Mark 1 Golf I hired) using the A1 autostrada. The link route to downtown Florence ran beside the airfield and I saw only Italian military aircraft.

At that time Pisa was the recognised international airport for Florence and it had its own rail station built in the early 1980s with a direct service to Florence.

But as you say there must have been exceptions.

By the way well-known travel vlogger Noel Philips sampled the Yak 40 three years ago in Ukraine.

FDOS
    Participant

Hi Alex

IIRC, Avio Ligure was based at FLR, so presumably some deal was done for this.

Normally, I’d route MAN/LIN/PSA/LIN/MAN – can’t remember why I took LIN/FLR that time, maybe disruption, but it made a change from the usual DC9s of Alitalia or ATI.

I know the link route you mention – in 1978, during a visit to sell textile fibres in the Prato region (half an hour to the north) our sales agent was giving me a lift to Florence, where I was staying for the weekend, when he got stopped at the big roundabout a little bit past the airport. The motorcycle cop leant into his open window, to be met by Argo, the Doberman, who attached a fine set of dentures to his arm! Highly pedigreed dog, but quite stupid. Fortunately, the cop was reasonable about it and the dog lived to fight another day.

Happy days.

Thanks for sharing the video, brings back memories.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls