BA longhaul W2019/20+ – new A350s & 787s – new routes, changes & opportunities

Back to Forum
Viewing 14 posts - 76 through 89 (of 89 total)

• rferguson
    Participant

Hi Esselle, I operated a few of the MAN-JFK’s in their last days.

BA had a ‘mainline’ base in MAN but they only ever operated MAN-LHR-MAN.

When MAN/EDI – JFK first started crews were positioned from LHR to operate them.

A little later BA established a non-mainline crew base at MAN ‘British Airways Regional’ (BAR) and they were a little like the Mixed Fleet of their time and operated all routes ex MAN except for MAN-LHR which continued to be operated by the MAN based mainline crew.

When BA cut most of their european network from MAN they closed the BAR crew base and most were transferred to LHR.

MAN – JFK continued and was then again operated by LHR based crews. However instead of positioning to MAN we would operate a ‘W pattern’. LHR – JFK – MAN – JFK – LHR over six or seven days.

rferguson
    Participant

Actually, correction the ‘W pattern’ was LHR – JFK – MAN – JFK / EWR – LHR

AMcWhirter
    Participant

esselle
    Participant

[postquote quote=985616][/postquote]

I’ve been hit by a sudden nostalgic urge to fly in the J “Cradle” seat just once more!!

1 user thanked author for this post.

rferguson
    Participant

BA axing LHR-NRT in favour of 2 x daily to HND. From end of MAR.

3 users thanked author for this post.

sparkyflier
    Participant

Many thanks for posting that RF. Do you know what schedules the additional HND flights will be? Similar slots as the NRT flight?

TimFitzgeraldTC
    Participant

Hi Sparkyflier

They are almost identical timings to what the NRT flights were. Only different by 5-10 minutes

Tim

2 users thanked author for this post.

sparkyflier
    Participant

With the reduction of HK flights of 50%, this releases a daily slot, and makes at least one A380 spare.

Will BA put this/these A380 on another route? I heard that on a recent GRU flight, Latam overbooked their LHR flight by 80 pax..and that is on a high density 777-300ER aircraft. Could BA put an A380 on that route? It CAN handle the aircraft, after all Emirates use it there.

And with demand unlikely to come roaring back for a while (in my opinion), perhaps use the spare slot to start other longhaul routes – Bogota for example? I cant see it being put on an Asian route…

rferguson
    Participant

I think the A380 operates the (temporarily) single daily LHR-HKG flight until end of MAR when it switches to the 777-300 and so far only for the month of April.

Agree with you, GRU has consistently high load factors especially in J. An A380 is a pretty big jump from a 773 though, a LOT of extra seats BA would have to fill. It’s worth noting that it is peak season on the LHR-Brazil routes at the moment and the loads usually start winding back towards end of MAR.

MarkivJ
    Participant

3 additional flights to BLR! Thank God we have a night departure from BLR instead of the annoying 7am one!

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/airlineroute/289935/british-airways-increases-bangalore-service-from-late-april-2020/

sparkyflier
    Participant

Very interesting to see how BLR is getting substantial more service, of course along with other destinations as a result of less planes going to Asia because of the Covid 19 issue.

If course BA have to make the most of their resources (planes and slots) and have added services to routes which can more easily absorb more capacity, but do you think they might want to add NEW routes to Africa/Latin America for example, or more US?

RF you mention the jump on the GRU route being big should 77W be upgraded to the A380, but I gather the 747 is returning there, at least for April. And out of interest, do the refurbished 747s only do the shorter 747 routes (very high J), or have some of the 747s with lower J arrangements also been refreshed?

On a separate point, out of their newer US routes, it seems Nashville is the real winner, having moved from 787-8 and soon will get the 787-10.

MarkivJ
    Participant

The BLR route has been described as summer 2020 so I presume it’ll run at least till July aug If not mid Oct.

nevereconomy
    Participant

Of course there is a small airport in’t Northern Power’ouse that BA could consider for some out of the box routes. Quite a few people live and work there and one could also feeder from the rich South…Virgin seems to think it worth the effort.

MarkivJ
    Participant

That day will come soon for BA when there are still 2 runways in LHR, yet all the A380 and 747 have been retired, and the new age long haul aircraft can’t handle the load.

Viewing 14 posts - 76 through 89 (of 89 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls