BA Longhaul new routes 2017/18+ ex LHR & LGW + Brexit planning..

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 124 total)

• sparkyflier
    Participant

Is Nashville the next new destination to be announced? So far this discussion suggests this city is a strong contender…
    Any other offers/suggestions or rumours..?

Mark Caswell
    Keymaster

The Tennessean certainly thinks so…

British Airways set to launch flights to Nashville?

Johnnyg
    Participant

Givingup BA ….But regarding “28 Honolulu (possible, but an awfully long flight, although long rumoured)” – Heathrow to Honolulu is 7237 miles, almost the same as Santiago Chile which is 7228 miles. That could still be too long of course.

Both of these are well within the range of 787 /8 and 787 / 9

Range at typical seating[252]
    787 / 8…….7,355 nmi (13,621 km) 8513 miles
    787 / 9 ……7,635 nmi (14,140 km) 8837 miles

The only downside is the poor cargo capacity

Speedbird1994
    Participant

I see via the BA Twitter pilots I follow that there is a new A380 destination expected to be announced next week in addition to new routes and frequency/aircraft changes.

One says ‘Some exciting news coming about routes and aircraft changes next week.’

Another says ‘It is a new route for the A380. But I’m not allowed to say until next week’

Any heads up from anyone on here, other than what’s been said already about Nashville possibly coming online?

capetonianm
    Participant

I am not sure when the runway realignment at CPT to allow 380 ops will be completed, but I wonder if this might be the new destinations. On some days in the summer BA are operating 3 x 747 into LHR and a 777 into LGW.

openfly
    Participant

Capetonianm…..sadly I am informed that it will be years before the A380 can land at CPT. The runway, and taxiways, LCN (load classification number) is too low. If an A380 were to land it would possibly go through the surfaces. Also the taxiways are too narrow and there are no high speed turn-offs which means narrow 90 degree runway exits/entries. I gather that the whole airfield and terminal would have to be redeveloped to cope with an A380 operation.
    The A380 has problems with diversion airfields around the world…from JNB to the North African coast its back to JNB or on to BCN. Not a very flexible operation!

I hope I can be proved wrong!!

GivingupBA
    Participant

JohnnyG, thanks for the information!

MarkivJ
    Participant

Delhi?

MarkivJ
    Participant

I meant Delhi – new A380 destination ? Can’t think of any other non-north American city that BA does well that doesn’t already have an a380. Would they want to fly a380 to another US destination given the over saturation of transatlantic routes?

Can HND accommodate an a380?

Flightlevel
    Participant

HNL is a great destination for an A380 if they can fill it,’though a B787 is more suitable to open the route.

MarkivJ
    Participant

I asked about Haneda, not HNL. BA flies the 77W but I can see that as another potential A380 destination

bluemooner
    Participant

Openfly, Air France operate A380 to Abidjan (Ivory Coast) so that’s a diversion airport on the African continent.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=821670]The Tennessean certainly thinks so…

[/quote]

So Nashville is poised to receive a ‘non top‘ BA service. Welcome to the club* 😉

*But watch where you sit, cos the cleaning is a bit random.

openfly
    Participant

@Bluemooner….yes, interesting, but Abidjan is even farther off the route for a diversion, and reasonably close to Lagos. So Lagos is the preferred diversion for an A380 operator. Maybe AF would consider Abidjan as a suitable diversion being one of their destinations and have handling facilities set up there…plus French being the language. Although I am not sure that ABJ is a full 24 hour operation.

capetonianm
    Participant

I was told that CPT would be able to handle the 380 by Q1 2018. I need to check if this is correct, as I see no signs of anything to make me believe it’s true.

I think that a 380 has landed on test flight, but that the airport cannot handle a fully loaded one.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 124 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls