BA longhaul ex LHR/LGW – new routes + Oneworld collaborations 2024/25+

Back to Forum
Viewing 10 posts - 61 through 70 (of 70 total)

• AlanOrton1
    Participant

Apologies CheerUp, that could have been me in error, in suffering from clumsy thumb syndrome on my phone.

1 user thanked author for this post.

MarkivJ
    Participant

Article from Indian media. As I understand it and from reading other articles, both countries can add 14 weekly to DEL and BOM. From the British side, 7 will go to VS’s 2nd Mumbai service starting in October. A lot of us have presumed a 3rd daily DEL for BA. Will be interesting to see what AI and Vistara do from the Indian end.

Article:

India and the UK have updated their air service agreement, allowing airlines to add 14 weekly flights between London Heathrow, Delhi, and Mumbai, enhancing connectivity.

India and the United Kingdom have enhanced their air service agreement, permitting airlines from both nations to operate an extra 14 weekly flights between London Heathrow (LHR) and the airports in Delhi and Mumbai. On May 1, representatives from India’s civil aviation ministry and the UK’s Department for Transport (DFT) formalized this agreement by signing a memorandum of understanding.

Boost for London-India Flights

According to the UK’s DFT, the updated agreement elevates the weekly flight cap from 56 to 70 between London Heathrow and Delhi and Mumbai for airlines from both countries starting this winter season. The exact number and schedule of these new flights will be determined by the airlines themselves.

This revision is especially beneficial for UK carriers, who had maxed out their limit of 56 flights per week. Currently, Indian carriers like Air India and Vistara operate 38 flights weekly between London Heathrow and the airports in Delhi (DEL) and Mumbai (BOM).

Virgin Atlantic, anticipating the revised agreement, announced last month the launch of a second London-Mumbai service beginning at the end of October.

sparkyflier
    Participant

I understand BA is launching a third daily Delhi flight after all. All 3 flights will be using 788. So they are going in with frequency to counter AI, VS, Vistara and soon Air Canada.

I would have thought there was demand for a F service to Delhi.But worth mentioning is this 3rd flight starts April next year and I suspect the Club Suits will be on these flights.

And slightly older news while I am posting is that the LHR/GIG/EXE route is going from 772 to A350-1000.

2 users thanked author for this post.

sparkyflier
    Participant

Apologies for typo above.* EZE not EXE!
    Also now that Oman Air is joining Oneworld (in the next weeks I thought I read?) perhaps BA will at least add their code to their LHR flights?

TominScotland
    Participant

Talking of Oman Air, yes they are joining oneworld but I have just received an email from KLM annoucing code shares with them as well – the confusing world of airline alliances, polygamous as ever!!

jwhi56
    Participant

I didn’t mean to report my own post!

Flights from London to Honolulu nonstop could be operated from London Gatwick as London Heathrow slots at like good dust!

AndrewinHK
    Participant

Unlikely as no 787’s or 35K’s operate for BA out of LGW.

MarkivJ
    Participant

Reg Hawaii – I still say that if the Alaska – hawaai airlines merge takes place, would be best for BA to increased freq to SEA to leverage the Hawaiian network.

LetsFlyNow
    Participant

While it’s fun to be armchair route planners, i honestly don’t see nonstop LON-HNL flights happening.

BA would need two planes (daily flights) for what would be about a 15hr+ flight. This is a holiday destination meaning pricing would be abit sensitiv.
    Look at prices for LHR-SCL (14.5hrs) a destination with lots of business travellers as SCL is a financial capital. Economy Rtn for random dates in July is priced at about €1600 while business class is at an eye-watering €9000.

I just don’t see how the economics for such a route would work. BA would probably make more money with a 20th daily flight to NYC than to such a ultra-long haul leisure destination.

2 users thanked author for this post.

jwhi56
    Participant

I didn’t mean to report my own post, can this be undone?

Viewing 10 posts - 61 through 70 (of 70 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller June 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller June 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls