BA long-haul – where to next & with what? Winter 2015/16+

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 645 total)

• sparkyflier
    Participant

Dutchyankee +1 with regards to as usual everything you say but especially with regards to the unfortunate/discourteous writing manner of the previous poster.

TheLion
    Participant

@AMcWhirter
    Interesting analogy with Garuda. That said BA’s large one stop US network makes it more attractive to Iranian businesspeople. Both individual sectors and journey time are also quite a bit shorter than via the Gulf. 14+ hour flights aren’t attractive, especially not on 10 abreast 77Ws. BA would need to price things right however. Except in sales they are ridiculously expensive and their prices don’t justify the product.

@LetsFlyNow
    The UK’s stronger ties, London’s convenient position on the periphery of Europe and BA’s comprehensive network are all factors why LH doesn’t have many frequencies, instead likely catering for O&D. But they do serve 18 US destinations between both hubs, just 4 less than BA.

@dutchyankee
    BA to MSY and FLL is coming I reckon. And if they had a brain and a heart they’d fly to HNL. However I think they’ll need a change of management for that 😉

greyhawkgeoff
    Participant

Just to amplify rferguson – 27/08/2015 02:37 BST (on the money as ever), the San Jose Mercury News reports today “airport officials offered deep incentives. Director of Aviation Kim Becker said the airport (SJC) waived landing, gate and ticket center fees — which all airlines are expected to pay — for two years. The company will pay to lease office space at the airport, Becker said.”
    So now we know the scale of incentives that second league airports find it necessary to offer. I am sure that other would be recipients of BA flights are well aware of the scale of what they have to offer beyond a convincing case for premium travellers.

Gold-2K
    Participant

Is PDX no longer under consideration? It hasn’t been mentioned for a while?

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Hurry up BA.

News today that Emirates has started flying into Mashhad which is Iran’s second passenger gateway after Tehran.

As mentioned above, passengers bound to/from Mashhad can access the world via Dubai.

TiredOldHack
    Participant

This seems to be the time to drift off topic and recount my favourite story about Mashad, from when we lived in Iran, many years ago (in the Shah’s day).

Mashad had a zoo then. Maybe it still does. The zoo was losing money and they had the bright idea of staging a spectacular of their one and only (elderly and slightly moth-eaten) lion killing and eating a live donkey.

So tickets were sold, an amphitheatre was knocked up out of scaffolding and planks, the donkey was shoved into it, and the lion (which had been kept on short rations for a couple of weeks, to sharpen its appetite) was shoved in after it.

The lion came up to the donkey, sniffed at it, let out an apology for a warning roar, and the donkey pirouetted, kicked out with its hind legs, and connected right on the lion’s head. And the lion dropped dead on the spot.

One of those frozen moments and then the crowd roared its approval. Scenting a commercial opportunity, the zoo put the donkey in a truck, exhibited it around Iran as The Donkey That Killed The Lion, and absolutely cleaned up.

Sorry, back on topic now…

sparkyflier
    Participant

Tired Old Hack thank you for that story. Funny except for the poor Lion..
    But you made me chuckle in T5!!

GrahamSmith

BA to fly B787-9 to Abu Dhabi, Muscat and Austin and unveils new images of First cabin:

http://www.businesstraveller.com/news/102024/ba-adds-b787-9-to-heathrow-abu-dhabi-muscat

AndrewinHK
    Participant

BA from March 2016 will add the 777-300ER to San Diego, adding First Class to the route for the first time and replacing the current 777-200 operation.

HedgeFundFlyer
    Participant

That’s good news. The loads and the yields on this route have been superb almost since it was launched in 2011. I know of several people who live in OC who travel south to pick up this flight rather than head north to the zoo at LAX. I’m sure the F cabin will be very popular.

MarkivJ
    Participant

Is the San Diego airport capable of handling a 747? Subject to aircraft availability, I think a 747 would do very well on this route.

icenspice
    Participant

I remember distinctly sitting in a hilly San Diego park and seeing a BA 747 about to land. It must have been the late ’90s.

mkcol74
    Participant

IIRC when they routed via PHX they used the 747 to SAN.

batterytraveller
    Participant

I flew Chengdu to Heathrow yesterday on the 788. Although 1 flight may or may not be representative – club was very light on passengers but the back of the bus was very full. Can’t draw too many conclusions from that obviously but I could see how it might be breaking even, not factoring in the opportunity cost of the 788 and the slot.

One thing occurred though is that Sichuan Airlines may make a good partner for BA or oneworld. They don’t have a mainland Chinese partner and all the others are pretty well tied up. Perhaps IAG or QR or both could take a small equity stake in the way that Delta has with China Eastern?

Is this the reason they keep the flight going in spite of possible better uses for thre plane?

Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 645 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls