BA LGW (North) lounges to close in January 2016

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 53 total)

• Anonymous

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

Reported in Headforpoints.com that the BA lounges in the North terminal will close in January 2016 as preparations are made for their move to South terminal in November 2016. As an interim measure, BA will encourage its eligible passengers to use the No. 1 Traveller lounge. The latter has been increasing its capacity in response to serious overcrowding at peak times.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

The #1 lounge is a good lounge, but small – they must be planning to ramp it up considerably to cope with the volume from BA. Also, the drinks service is waiter/bar, unless BA have arranged an dedicated area and champers is chargeable – wonder if they have arranged for that for their guests?

Alexthegreat
    Participant

I was in Frankie & Bennys Restaurant last week and the staff were talking about:
    It was closing (and they lose their jobs) and would be converted to the new BA Lounge. BA Lounge would also incorprate the current No 1 Lounge (located next door) and the No 1 Lounge would relocate to larger premises downstairs.
    The current No 1 Lounge is always full during the peak flight departure hours and space in any case is limited. Priority Pass members aren’t welcome unless they have pre-booked and rumour has it is not so easy to do online? I actually went to Frankie & Bennys as no access available to the No 1 Lounge for Priority Pass ‘walk-ins’

TimFitzgeraldTC
    Participant

http://www.businesstraveller.com/news/102005/no.1-traveller-to-double-capacity-at-gatwick

Yep – No 1 Lounge is getting bigger to cater for more people.

Surprised BA just don’t wait until November to close the lounge. But why make things simple!

MrDarwin
    Participant

Is this lounge going to extend OW lounge access privileges to eligible card holders flying BA? The OW website has been updated and now says “British Airways’ customers are invited to use Gatwick’s No 1 Lounge from January 2016 when the current British Airways lounge will be closed for building work.”

dutchyankee
    Participant

As BA still have a few flights that have First Class out of LGW, what provisions are being made for F passengers?

FDOS_UK
    Participant

MrDarwin – 22/09/2015 15:07 BST

3rd party lounges normally do not offer OW privileges, so I’d expect the answer to be ‘no.’

TimFitzgeraldTC
    Participant

First Class Lounge has already closed so I guess they will get No 1 Lounge as well until the terminal switch.

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

@ TimFitzgeraldTC – 22/09/2015 13:50 BST

I am assuming that the Galleries Lounge closure in January 2016 makes way for something else for someone else in readiness for the November LGW terminal switch-around. But, after the FCO fire, this is now becoming a case of no lounges anytime we fly on a regular route. Is BA planning on dramatically ramping up their inflight J service ex-LGW to compensate?

Or was that another porker I just saw flying past the window?

TimFitzgeraldTC
    Participant

Hi AnthonyDunn

I admire your optimism but I think more than pigs will have to fly past by the window. Next thing we’ll know is that the moon is indeed made of cheese.

Does anyone know what the lounge will be used for in future or perhaps Easyjet will decide to launch there own paid lounge with the space????????

cityprofessional
    Participant

Have I missed something? When the LGW F lounge close? I thought it was just closed after 3pm…

TimFitzgeraldTC
    Participant

Apologies. Cityprofessional you are right. BA 1st class lounge does close at 3pm. I was cutting back there services faster than they have implemented. If anyone from BA has seen this, take it as a way of demonstrating my ability to part of your service “enhancement” team.

openfly
    Participant

BA are moving from the two lounges to facilitate the construction of the new Virgin Lounge in the North Terminal.
    Managers think that the BA move could be delayed until March 2017. The use of the Number 1 lounge will possibly be longer than planned. The new BA lounge in the South Terminal will just be a single Galleries lounge.
    More indications that Gatwick premium passengers are not a priority for BA.
    Some First Class pax get the Concorde Room at Heathrow, others get an inferior First Lounge in T3 and the rest get a scruffy temporary lounge at Gatwick….says it all!

DerekVH
    Participant

Curious to know if anyone has experience of the No 1 lounge since the recent change? Due to fly LGW/MLE in a few weeks.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 53 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls