British Airways London Gatwick new South Terminal lounge….

Back to Forum
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

• openfly
    Participant

Just spoken to the Exec Club to be told that the lounge is still not open, but they hope to have it open by early April!

So no BA lounge at their second busiest operation for 15 months. The finishing touches that they were “completing” last week haven’t started. I reckon they haven’t even started the work yet.
    It’s amazing that Virgin move from the South to the North and their new Clubhouse is waiting for their premium passengers immediately, seemless. Obviously Virgin appreciates its Premium passengers. BA doesn’t give a damn…quite disgraceful. Hey what’s new!

At least EasyJet and Norwegian appreciate our short-haul business….

openfly
    Participant

Tom or Alex …. Can you extract a comment or statement from BA on this subject please?

Andrew66
    Participant

My wife sometimes works over the south terminal and said it looks near completion , that furnishings were in , TV screens up and working , compared to the switchover day when workmen and ladders were in there , perhaps the kitchen area needs finishing ? ( only needs some micro’s for M&S ready meals !)
    In regards to other airlines perhaps they have a good relationship with the airport operator ?

Cheeryguy
    Participant

Just to satisfy my piqued interest; have you been directly affected by this issue? Or, is it just another BA bashing excuse?

Either way I’m sure you’ll be interested to learn that the First Lounge had a soft opening this morning. It’s quite lovely and worth waiting for .

openfly
    Participant

Cheeryguy….its def not BA bashing, but am surprised that BA have shown little interest in their premium passengers at LGW for well over a year. I’m just fed up being a Gold Card holder and having to tolerate inferior benefits.
    From what Andrew66 says, it seems that the opening is closer than the April date I was given by the Exec Club earlier today. Left and right hands?!

Andrew66
    Participant

I think it does sound sooner than April , I know a lot of planning has gone into the terminal moves and has cost in total about £100 million !! Mostly it has gone smoothly , but it does feel disappointing that the new BA lounge is not yet open despite the months of planning . Apparently though it does look very good from the quick views my wife has seen , we are flying out late March so I’m hoping it will be fully open by then and very much look forward to seeing it and seeing the south terminal for the first time in a few years , I’m not sure how the NT will be now be with more passengers passing through than the south , perhaps overall the whole experience will be better for BA passengers in the future ?

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=789974]Just to satisfy my piqued interest; have you been directly affected by this issue? Or, is it just another BA bashing excuse?

Either way I’m sure you’ll be interested to learn that the First Lounge had a soft opening this morning. It’s quite lovely and worth waiting for .

[/quote]

I find this a bit harsh and unwarranted.

It’s a perfectly valid opinion from openfly and based on facts, posted on a website about business travel – why does s/he need to have been personally affected?

Virgin opened their new lounge on schedule, BA failed – that is fact.

BA deserve bashing for missing a key milestone in a very public environment.

DavidSmith2
    Participant

Cheeryguy,

Did I understand you correctly that the First Lounge (accessible to GC members) is now open? Or does a soft opening mean it is only for certain flights/categories?

Grateful if you can clarify, and also give your impressions. I am due through Gatwick in a couple of weeks.

SimonS1
    Participant

The full lounge (F and Club) is open today, so someone at the Exec Club was clearly talking out their backside.

Andrew66
    Participant

[quote quote=789959The finishing touches that they were “completing” last week haven’t started. I reckon they haven’t even started the <span class=”vm-hook-outer vm-hook-default”><span class=”vm-hook” style=”color: rgb(0, 153, 0); border-color: transparent transparent rgb(0, 153, 0);”>work</span><span class=”vm-hook-icon” style=”display: inline-block;”></span></span> yet.

[/quote]

[quote quote=790001]

Just to satisfy my piqued interest; have you been directly affected by this issue? Or, is it just another BA bashing excuse?

It’s a perfectly valid opinion from openfly and based on facts, posted on a website about business travel – why does s/he need to have been personally affected?

[/quote]

Good to see the work has been completed and the lounge is now open , annoying that it’s 11 days late from the switchover day when it was expected to open .

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=790066]

It must go down as a failed project, as it missed the opening milestone, but in the longer term it looks as if the lounge will be a good facility for LGW travellers.

Good to see the work has been completed and the lounge is now open , annoying that it’s 11 days late from the switchover day when it was expected to open .

[/quote]

FDOS_UK
    Participant

It must go down as a failed project, as it missed the opening milestone, but in the longer term it looks as if the lounge will be a good facility for LGW travellers.

openfly
    Participant

After all the rumours of opening dates … it has happened. Strangely with no fanfares which is a chance missed.
    I visited this morning….it’s very, very good. It’s large. Lots of coffee machines. Excellent breakfast snack offerings. Great to see some of the old faces from the BA North lounge again….smiling and proud of their new home.
    But sadly the First/Gold area doesn’t open until 7am, but is open until 8pm. I was given a tour of this part of the lounge and it is, again, very pleasant.
    Somebody at BA has done a great job…shame it has taken so long! But definitely worth the wait.

DavidSmith2
    Participant

[quote quote=790540]After all the rumours of opening dates … it has happened. Strangely with no fanfares which is a chance missed.
    I visited this morning….it’s very, very good. It’s large. Lots of coffee machines. Excellent breakfast snack offerings. Great to see some of the old faces from the BA North lounge again….smiling and proud of their new home.
    But sadly the First/Gold area doesn’t open until 7am, but is open until 8pm. I was given a tour of this part of the lounge and it is, again, very pleasant.
    Somebody at BA has done a great job…shame it has taken so long! But definitely worth the wait.

[/quote]

Many thanks openfly. It sounds quite promising and I look forward to seeing for myself in a couple of weeks time.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls