BA is losing the grip?

Back to Forum
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

• Anonymous

Giamma879
    Participant

I am a Frequent Flyer with a Gold status for several years and must say I have been noticing a steady and constant deterioration in the overall service provided by the Airline to their passengers.
    In addition to the several issues I have experienced with delay, lack of flexibility and unhelpful customer service (Gold line), I have noted a change in the reward flight scheme and availability. I have several Avios which could take me and my family to Australia and back at least 2 times. Over the last years I have always used those avios to enjoy a transatlantic/exotic trip with my wife but over the last months it seems that BA have reduced substantially the availability on Avios by releasing only an handful of tickets especially during peak period. Aware of this policy (release 364 or 350 days before departure date) I have monitored the Executive Club section everyday since the expected released but constantly (every day) I was unable to find any availability. When I inquired with Customer Service I was given evasive answers saying that “a mistery department” would only release the such tickets at their leisure without a clear set of rules. After further question I was also told that some tickets were released on Avios but a very limited number which I find very strange because since 365 days before my intended departure date I was checking every day at least twice.
    I hate conspiracy theories and I am sure BA will have a polished answer to my comments but I am convinced that BA has changed the reward flight release rule to an extremely unfriendly way without informing the customer. I will keep trying to get availability using my avios but maybe is time to move to another company where Gold customers are really treated as such. Would be keen to hear if other Gold members had similar issues

rferguson
    Participant

Not an expert on Avios availability….but didn’t BA say when they raised the number of Avios required for redemption (and introduced ‘peak’ and ‘off peak’) that they would initiate a system where at least two premium seats were available on every long haul flight or something similar?

Edited to add: Just had a look @ ba.com. In the Executive club —-> news section ‘Changes to the Club’ (11 May ’15).
    “Minimum guarantee of 4 World Traveller and 2 Club World redemption seats on every BA flight”. Perhaps quote that when you call the Gold line 😉

SimonS1
    Participant

Indeed rferguson they did say that. Unfortunately though Australia is a prime destination and the seats go fast with demand massively outstripping supply….

rferguson
    Participant

Hey Simon. Urgh ain’t that the truth! Yes the OP hasn’t been specific about the route he wants to use Avios on. He mentions having enough points to take the family to OZ but also that he tends to enjoy a transatlantic trip with his wife. I’m sure in the case of OZ competition is fierce for those two J class seats but i’ve generally found availability reasonable for transatlantic. 364 days out certainly anyway…..

Cleancabinair
    Participant

Burn those miles with with other One World carriers if you can … Qantas/Qatar Airways …. you may even find Etihad will accommodate you as well …

Uncledude
    Participant

Just be thankful you are not a US Airways Dividend Miles Member, since the merger with American [And remember its mainly run now by US Airways Management] We have seen the value of Dividend Miles virtually halved in value on Partner Airlines Awards,

AlanOrton1
    Participant

I think BA releases seats for redemption / Avios bookings 355 days ahead of the day of departure, at 00:01.
    I had a conversation with an agent on the You First line (Danyal, who was extremely helpful, in fact about the most helpful agent I’ve spoken with at BA).
    He said that very often people will call up right on midnight and snag the seats the very minute they become available, particularly at peak times of the year / to peak destinations. I asked about the destinations that tended to go first and it was SE Asia, Oz, Cape Town, Caribbean (over Xmas / New Year).
    2 seats (sometimes more) in every cabin (except F) are released at 00:01, 355 days beforehand.
    I was advised it was a little different with F.
    As CW seats are sought after, I can only suggest that to get the seats you want on the date you want, try to be as organised as possible.
    I know this won’t work / be possible for many, but by the sounds of it there are plenty out there who are ‘primed’ when it comes to booking Avios seats.

mikeact
    Participant

So, you manage to snag two seats and then, book them as two singles? And then ? 2/3/4 weeks holiday in Australia or wherever and time to come home…now what?

AlanOrton1
    Participant

Hi Mikeact, am not sure if I can answer this, as though a BAEC member, I don’t know all the ins and outs.
    I suspect you can look to book 355 days out from the day of your return, or from the day of departure and book singles. Which was the impression I got is what some do for the most popular routes at most popular times.
    I imagine that any with airline’s loyalty programme, redemption flights are released on certain dates and those eager will be all over them.
    Anecdotes from the US are reward flights in F to Hawaii either don’t get released or if they do disappear like hot cakes.

enricolocati
    Participant

I am BA customer since the 80, BA is loosing the warm that
    has before, food complimentary upgrades for club members,
    old Aircraft 747 767 and 777/200, maintenance,
    last january 12 I have flew with BA 289 from LHR to Phoenix,
    and I have found a big crack on the wing, the plane was 747 G-BNLV,
    was great airline but now even the fuel cost reduction , for the above reasons is no more

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls