BA in Terminal 1 – terrible experience

Back to Forum
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

• Anonymous

GregoryKohll
    Participant

I am just recovering from another nightmare transit between terminals 5 and 1 at LHR. Since BA moved the Tel Aviv flights to Terminal 1 a year ago, it seems to have forgotten how to treat Club World and top-level Executive Club passengers. The inter-terminal bus ride and long, depressing corridors in T1 are not BA’s responsibility; however, the lack of fast track in transit security and the woeful lounge are. It is unfortunate that the good in-flight service has to be marred by the experience on the ground at airline’s home airport.
    After a long flight in club World from Boston, I arrived tired, irritated (by the transit) and hungry to the lounge at T1. There was no hot food left at 9 a.m. (the duty manager said they had no catering facilities in T1 or T3) and, unlike T5 “the home of BA), there were no salads or cheese. To this complaint, the duty manager said that food was an “extra” in the lounges that only needed to supply snacks and drinks. As for the fast track – “I had to ask” – I wasn’t aware I needed to beg.
    BA finally has seen sense and will restore the Tel Aviv flights to T5 and WT+ as well in April, 2014. Until then, I shall avoid transiting in Heathrow – even as a Gold EC member and will think again once the summer timetable is in place.

capetonianm
    Participant

“After a long fight in club World from Boston, I arrived tired, irritated (by the transit) and hungry “

It really was a fight by the sound of it!

gordo66
    Participant

You should see the LY lounge in T1 – it is a dump compared to the BA lounge. + I would say that the mid-haul CW are even better than LY F class (at least the single seats), and much much better than LY’s C.

BTW, the new changes to the TLV flights aren’t considered as good news by me, as it will lead to cutting BA166/167 and to worse US->TLV connections.

HedgeFundFlyer
    Participant

You have my sympathy. The BA operation at T1 is as appalling as the rest of that terminal. The good news is that by this time next year, the demolition equipment will be moving into place and the long process of razing T1 will be about to begin.

Until then, I would avoid like the plague. The lounges are not a shadow of their former selves as bmi flagships.

I must say, however, that the Galleries First lounge at T3 is great and I have never had anything other than great food and service there. Just a shame about the rest of that terminal!

GregoryKohll
    Participant

Thanks. I am still jet-lagged and missed the typo.

The BA International lounge @ T1 has actually grown on me. The last time I was there 3 weeks ago I had a very good couscous and curry and then retired to the front row with a glass of white to read the paper and spot planes.

I will miss T1 as it was the first place I flew to in 1982.

DavidGordon10
    Participant

Hold on! “…at T1 is as appalling as the rest of that terminal”? If you depart on LH or other Star Alliance carriers, the experience is good. Yes, on arrival the walk from gate to immigration to baggage is too long, but the terminal should not be damned just because some of the BA experience therein is bad.

HedgeFundFlyer
    Participant

Hmmm. The Star lounge is good, I agree. But if you’re not a premium passenger or if you are using one of the other lounges, it is a miserable experience. The toilets are bad, there’s way too much walking, the AC doesn’t work properly in the summer, the visual of the place is awful and much of the ancillary infrastructure is outdated and decrepit.

SenatorGold
    Participant

I’m not sure that I’d agree the T1 Star Alliance lounge is good. Yes the reception staff are friendly (especially the Air New Zealand concierge staff) but large parts of the lounge are dark and gloomy. The food offering especially at breakfast is uninspiring and limited. It certainly cant compare with the BA lounges in T3 and T5. I look forward to something more uplifting in the new T2.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls