BA. I'm in a quandary.

Back to Forum
Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)

• SimonS1
    Participant

[quote quote=882771], I asked politely,but perhaps a wee bit sarcastic, pointing to the line of overburdened folks behind me, “if that’s the case, are you going to be testing all these carry on bags in the frame before people can board? My guitar weights less than 1 Kilo”[/quote]

BA allows handbaggage up to 23kg so I doubt the weight of the guitar is that relevant.

seasonedtraveller
    Participant

So, to close this tale. After initially being denied boarding at LCA check in, we again pointed out all the other oversized bags that were going to be allowed, and then a very nice helpful lady made a couple of calls and I was finally allowed to take it to LHR in the cabin.
    However, there’s a sting in the tail…I was offloaded from the connection to MAN (I was told I had a choice to be offloaded or buy another seat at a discounted £100 or thereabouts…the flight was completely full though…don’t ask.

I took the train to Leeds for £42.

An odd situation. Time to buy a hard sided case I think 🤔

Johnnyg
    Participant

Being totally naïve in these matters, how does someone book a seat for a, for example, a cello or guitar as a name and apd have to be provided in the booking process?

capetonianm
    Participant

The procedure varies from airline to airline but the general procedure is that if Jo Bloggs wants to travel with a guitar as cabin baggage it’s booked as :

2BLOGGS/JO MR/CBBG
    The system books 2 seats.
    The airline requires an SSR explaining what the CBBG is, for example 1GUITAR/8KGS/DIMS 70x40X20CM.
    It will charge the base fare + ‘fuel surcharge’ for the extra seat, but no taxes or airport charges.
    The extra charge is accounted for as a tax on the PAX ticket, or as an MPD.

The procedure is similar is someone wants an extra seat for ‘personal comfort’ (i.e is oversized).

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls