BA HKG Crew Redundant, with no notice.

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)

• Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Sacked British Airways staff protest at Hong Kong International Airport, accuse airline of breaking labour laws

Demonstrators say deal offered by carrier is unfair and miscalculates compensation payments

https://m.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/hong-kong-economy/article/2166274/sacked-british-airways-staff-protest-hong-kong

3 users thanked author for this post.

fqtvgla
    Participant

A highly profitable airline and this affects only 85 crew. They could have been given some notice and a decent severance package. Just because you can doesn’t make it right. Shameful and cruel way to treat loyal employees

2 users thanked author for this post.

stevescoots
    Participant

I am surprised the UK media does not seemed to have picked up on this for a bit of BA bashing

1 user thanked author for this post.

BA789
    Participant

Agree with fqtvgla.
    Look at how Virgin Atlantic handled the same situation (makes BA look even worse)

Still a fan of BA (maybe cause i’m an Anglophile:) )

fqtvgla
    Participant

If you are a regular on this route you will know how amazing these crew are. A go fund me page has been set up if you want to help them out.

https://www.gofundme.com/help-support-our-sacked-ba-hkg-crew

Swissdiver
    Participant

Obnoxious from BA. Not the strategic decision that could may-be make sense. But the way it used. There is one thing WW and Cruz don’t get and can’t get: it is loyalty. And this is even more important with the younger generations as motivation is key for them while the sense of duty is less important. Giving HKG crew 3 or 4 months notice would not only have been fair for their great service, but also give a better image than just benefiting from the liberal local laws for a ver small saving at the group level. And BA will learn it the hard way since there is notably one thing that differentiates legacy crew from their younger colleagues: the sense of duty.

capetonianm
    Participant

They saved a few pennies in the short term, that’s all that Cruz cares about. He hasn’t got the foresight to think what it will cost them long term in lost loyalty and hopefully in a court case if there is a class action and the airline loses. Nor does he have any humanity.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Emotion aside, I thought the idea of overseas based cabin crew was to reduce costs, not increase. Will the 80+ crew lost, need to be replaced by the surely more expensive UK based crew?

Stowage222
    Participant

Martin, the rumour going around (read inevitable consequence) is that this move opens the gate for Mixed Fleet to operate the route in the near future thereby saving BA yet more millions per year. Up until now they couldn’t work with HKG ICC crew for reasons too complicated to explain quickly here.

Flightlevel
    Participant

BA is subject to HKG law for those staff and the staff have numerous advantages for living there – a great city for residents!
    If they were to recieve UK typical redundancy offers (not the legal minimum) the airline saves £2m or more depending on their length of service,not a small amount and added to the MF savings.
    They are great at customer service and one can only imagine MF crew being as good.
    BA could have had phased voluntary redundancy to enable each HKG staff to get re-employed in their own time, however the oil price is biting too!

rferguson
    Participant

The main beef most BA staff seem to have with this is not that BA identified an area to cut costs, not that a HKG cabin crew base was no longer part of the new ‘strategy’. It was the mean, callous way they dismissed 85 staff – many whom I say hand on heart are BA’s best – with absolutely no notice, nor remuneration for some and no further a months salary in lieu for the others. YES it’s legal to do that in Hong Kong. It’s also legal to do that in Singapore, yet BA did the right thing there and gave the crew NINE MONTHS notice.

I don’t think people outside BA understand the impact on this decision on the lives on the HKG crew. I am not just talking about money, about a JOB. These HKG crew spent almost half their lives here in the UK. That’s the only route they operated week in, week out. HKG-LHR-HKG. Many for 20-30 years. They’d made friends, established a second home here in London. And then, with no notice were told ‘you won’t be going back…no goodbye to friends, no sorting out any bank accounts etc you may have opened there’. You no longer have a job with us.

And the factor that seemed to peev EVERYONE off was that BA dismally attempted to bury this news by announcing the new uniform designer the same day as sacking these staff. It didn’t work.

**Personal opinions only**

8 users thanked author for this post.

capetonianm
    Participant

I wonder if fat Alex can sleep at night. I hope not. I realise he may not be the architect of this ruthless and mercenary decision, but ultimately it happened on his watch and he is responsible.

esselle
    Participant

Judging by the regular “issues” BA are facing these days, I would suggest that Alex probably doesn’t need to sleep at night, as it looks as though he is sleeping most of the day.

capetonianm
    Participant

No, sleeping he would do less harm than he is at present.

flyingdutchman1
    Participant

And here in Europe we complain about Ryanair. They are really all the same.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls