BA Heathrow T3 arrivals lounge changes

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)

• ImissConcorde
    Participant

SwissExPat
    Participant

Re: LGW

I regularly fly back to LGW with BA from BDA and could buy a J ticket. (I’ve been on this route for years)

Having closed the arrivals lounge (which I place a reasonable value on) I no longer purchase the J ticket buy now do the following.

Buy a WT+ ticket, use the BDA lounge with my silver BAEC card, enjoy the J main course meal in Y+, watch a film, relax/sleep for 2 hours and then pay £69 to Hilton for a day rate (or prior overnight room) and proceed to the Hotel on arrival for a decent 3-4 hours sleep and shower. This saves me a packet on BA fares and largely gets me a decent rest (I do loose a few hours)

So closing arrivals lounge does have a revenue loss cost to BA

pdwtrip
    Participant

So just to clarify
    If I book the return BA LAS flight in First vis the AA website.
    I get an AA ticket, travel on BA metal.
    But as an AA Customer do I really have to trek over to T5 on arrival (the early flight – not the late one)?
    Or do I get to use the AA Arrivals lounge?
    Just a thought

TimFitzgeraldTC
    Participant

Thanks rferguson. I knew it was happening at some point. Am I right in thinking that T2 will be expanded onto the former T3 site? Or will LHR decide against it if Runway 3 doesn’t happen.

Edited to add – sorry rferguson – you did mention that in your post that will be expanded to cover T3 operations as well – that is what I thought – just couldn’t remember timeframes.

capeleopard
    Participant

@openfly You’re not kidding about those African fares – anyone might think oil is $400/barrel.

Cwyfan
    Participant

I rarely am treated to first, but my next 2 flights where I am have both been transferred to T3. How unlucky can you get!

I wonder if they would give me a Starbucks voucher as compensation?

SenatorGold
    Participant

This is what it currently says on the AA website about entrance to their T3 Arrivals lounge:

Flying on British Airways, Cathay Pacific or Qantas?

Access* is complimentary** for:
    ?
    First, Club World, Premier and Gold Executive Club customers arriving in LHR on the same day on a long distance flight operated by British Airways or a regional affiliate marketed by British Airways.

?
    First, Business Class customers and those holding an invitation from Cathay Pacific arriving in LHR on the same day on a flight operated by Cathay Pacific or a regional affiliate marketed by Cathay Pacific.

?
    First and Business Class members arriving in LHR on the same day on a flight operated by Qantas or a regional affiliate marketed by Qantas.

See: http://www.americanairlines.co.uk/i18n/travelInformation/airportAmenities/arrivals_lounge.jsp

It doesn’t say anything about excluding pax from non US originatin BA flights.

SimonS1
    Participant

You missed off the

* Access is available for qualifying individuals only.

That is their get out.

SenatorGold
    Participant

Apologies for the poor cutting and pasting.

I suppose they will rely upon the qualification under the asterisk. Many hours could be spent debating the interpretation of “qualifying” but probably not with the lounge receptionists.

pdwtrip
    Participant

So just to trying clarify
    If I book the return LAS flight in First vis the AA website.
    I get an AA ticket,
    I travel on BA metal.
    But as an AA Customer do I really have to trek over to T5 on arrival (the early flight – not the late one)?
    Or do I get to use the AA Arrivals lounge – since I am an AA customer and have an AA ticket?
    Just a thought

openfly
    Participant

Pdwtrip…..who knows…a total mess.
    Apparently BA is getting hundreds of complaints every day regarding T3. Try asking the BAcExec Club…bet you don’t get a clear answer!

JohnnyEnglish
    Participant

Tried my luck with the lounge receptionists last week (first day that flights were transferred to T3) after an overnight from ACC. Indeed no joy, but as I was in transit I simply used the showers in the T5 departure lounge instead. But I recognise the extreme inconvenience of transiting to T5 for a shower under normal circumstances. Poor show, BA.

rferguson
    Participant

I read on a BA forum from one of the managers involved in the T3 terminal switch that ‘work is ongoing’ to expand the arrivals facility to more flights arriving at T3. There was no expansion on how/when this is likely to be achieved. It was only noted that currently BA has to work with the capacity constraints set by AA.

In terms of why why the flights that were moved to T3 were chosen – a number of factors including how many passengers were transiting at T5 from other flights and aircraft utilisation. For example most of the flights at T3 are a subfleet of 747’s (and all the 747’s are Mid J). The two exceptions are MIA (A380) and NBO (777). But once again, the timetabling of these two routes allow these flights to turn on themselves constantly. For example – A380 departs for MIA. Turns in MIA comes back to T3. Turns at T3 back to MIA. And so on. Ditto for the 777 to NBO. At T5 it’s more complex. For example a 777 lands from JFK and turns at T5 to DME. Or arrives from BLR and turns to BKK.

openfly
    Participant

Rferguson….thanks for the explanation.
    My complaint is that the T3 premium product is so vastly different to the T5 experience that many if us are used to. I’ve already had T3 inflicted upon me and what they laughingly call the First lounge. Even the manager agreed that they couldn’t do the promised refurb due to accommodating Emirates. So here we are, BA premium regulars being dumped on from a great height. But, of course, BA is too arrogant to admit that they have got it wrong. There are a lot of unhappy bunnies out here!
    They didn’t even do premium boarding on our flight….just rows 1to 16 through one door and the rest through the other. I mentioned this to a manager at the gate and he seemed unaware of the procedure. Maybe this is T3s way of doing things….premiums just don’t matter! Following in Gatwicks footsteps…..

rferguson
    Participant

Your complaints are TOTALLY understandable Openfly. I’d be annoyed if I was in F out of T3 too. Staff that have operated some flights ex LHR T3 are already posting on internal forums about the inferior experiences customers are reporting. Did you ‘lounge hop’ and check out the CX F lounge by chance? I know it’s no Concorde Room either but probably a step up from Galleries F.

Personally I think that F passengers should be able to choose to continue to check in @ T5, use the facilities there, and be transferred by car to the aircraft at T3. Ditto for arriving customers wanting to use the arrivals lounge. It wouldn’t be a huge strain on resources because each flight is capped to 14 F customers and even if all those flights are full in F not everyone would want to use T5. If LH can do it for their entire operation at FRA I don’t understand why something similar can’t be done for a small number of flights at LHR.

These are my personal opinions only.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls