BA Hand baggage only fare advance seat selection not reinstated

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

• FrequentTraveller
    Participant

“From June 14 any Bronze*, Silver and Gold Executive Club Members will be able to reserve their seat on a basic fare for free, members who may have paid to select their seat and are due to travel from that date can also receive a refund on the cost of the seat reservation.”
    Source: https://www.businesstraveller.com/airlines/british-airways/2017/05/03/british-airways-reinstates-executive-club-privileges/

It is now the 15th June and I have a hand baggage only fare flight already booked. As a Silver Executive Club Member when I use Manage My Booking to select a seat it still asks me to pay an extra fee. My Executive Club number is on the booking. It appears this feature has not been reinstated yet. Does anybody have any up-to-date information when the benefit will actually be reinstated?

Ah,Mr.Bond
    Participant

I have a flight in July and it is still asking me for 7 quid….. and that’s to sit in a middle seat at the back! Wont be paying that, you can chance your luck for free and guarantee a better seat, the fools.
    I would assume that this does not apply only to new bookings, but existing ones made under the previous rule?
    Eagerly awaiting them to update the system.

Sam
    Participant

There is a thread over on FT about this… looks a bit hit and miss but some people are now successful in being able to select seats for free if their status allows.

Mark Caswell
    Keymaster

I’ve contacted the BA press office for comment on this, and will post here if / when I hear anything back.

FrequentTraveller
    Participant

Thanks Mark.

Mark Caswell
    Keymaster

I’ve received the following from the BA press office:

“We are delighted that our Executive Club members are already making the most of this new offer, and any new bookings made after June 14 will automatically include free reserved seating.

“A delay in updating the system means that any customers with existing bookings will be able to access this benefit by the end of today. We would encourage any eligible members who have already paid for reserved seating for travel from June 14 onwards, to contact us for a refund.”

FrequentTraveller
    Participant

Thanks for posting the reply from the BA press office. For my existing reservation it is still not working.

Reeferman
    Participant

Have just checked mine – a booking from LCY (BA City Flyer) – and it’s still not working there either.

Ah,Mr.Bond
    Participant

Nope, not updated here either.

Marc_ACB
    Participant

I’ve just tried to book a new HBO flight LHR-DUB and the message that pops up on the app is “Executive Club and oneworld equivalent members cannot choose seats for free or take additional checked bags with this fare”

evelyn
    Participant

I had to speak to a BA agent about an HBO booking on 14/6 and he asked me what seats we would like allocated and he then booked them for me, free. I thought he had made a mistake in doing this for free, so just thanked him.

slotski
    Participant

I have a HBO fare booked several months ago and flying in July. Just went to MMB and changed seats no problems.

FrequentTraveller
    Participant

As of 18th June on my existing HBO fare booking, I can now assign a specific seat without being asked to pay a fee.

Reeferman
    Participant

My existing booking is available to assign with out a fee too now. All I have to do now is call BA for a refund on another booking where I paid a fee (knowing it was to be refunded) – as per the Press Office’s advice above.

Reeferman
    Participant

I just called BA for my seat refund – after waiting several minutes while the lady checked with her supervisor, I was told that as I had booked seats prior to June 14th, I was not eligible for a refund!!
    Obviously I told her that her supervisor was wrong and to go and check with someone else. This she did and then confirmed my refund!
    I asked her to make sure the first supervisor to whom she spoke was made aware of the correct procedure.

So BA’s admin of this remains a shambles!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls