British Airways Global System Outage

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 226 total)

• FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=810094]Without wanting to throw petrol, or gasoline if you prefer onto the metaphorical fire I’d like to point out that although Tata is the outsourcer, the data centres at the heart of this surge are located in Wales, near Cardiff.

[/quote]

Where did you get that info, Canucklad?

I understood them to be at Boadicea House and Cranebank, both near Heathrow.

Charles-P
    Participant

capetonianm
    Participant

I’ve never heard them to be in Wales, and I believe that some components of Altea Fly, which some are claiming to responsible for this outage, run from the Amadeus data centre which is in Erding, just outside MUC. I would imagine that the power supply there is about as stable and reliable as you could get (even if it’s on what some might consider to be the wrong side of the Weißwurstäquator.)

The power outage/surge story is starting to sound less and less credible.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=810115]I’ve never heard them to be in Wales, and I believe that some components of Altea Fly, which some are claiming to responsible for this outage, run from the Amadeus data centre which is in Erding, just outside MUC. I would imagine that the power supply there is about as stable and reliable as you could get (even if it’s on what some might consider to be the wrong side of the Weißwurstäquator.)

The power outage/surge story is starting to sound less and less credible.

[/quote]

Have a read of this

At Scale, Rare Events aren’t Rare

I’m not saying that this happened at BA, but if a much larger airline can get caught by a known failure mode, then this or something similar is plausible to me.

andrew.gill
    Participant

I’d be happy if you removed anything that directly, or indirectly and unnecessarily highlights someone’s race, nationality or place / country of birth, but would remove a large chunk of the thread so, I’m agreed, let’s move and let those middle-aged white man return to the Daily Mail website :p

capetonianm
    Participant

Thanks FDOS, that was a very enlightening article, well written about a complex technical issue but written to be comprehensible even to the non-technically minded. I note that the writer, James Hamilton, has written a number of articles about other relevant matters, such as overbooking and revenue management, and I shall look forward to reading more of his writing.

andrew.gill : How do you know that I, or anyone else, is a ‘middle aged white man’, and since you’re such a stickler for being politically correct, don’t you think your comment is itself ‘racist’ according to your definition of that overused word?

Charles-P
    Participant

For the record I would like to state I am a middle aged white man with African, Welsh, English and Norwegian ancestry who is married to a white Dutch speaking Belgian whose family originally came from Denmark.

I say all this because I am remined of the remarks by Prof. Antonio Giraldez one of the world’s experts in Genetics who said,
    “The idea that anybody is just anything is laughable. Humans have been around far, far too long for there to be any race purity left, we are all a mixture of everyone that has gone before. If individuals want to self identify as ‘African American’ or ‘German’ or ‘White’ or ‘Latino’ then let them but those descriptions are as accurate as calling George Washington an American.”

Ahmad
    Participant

According to Reuters, BA says a supply issue at a data center near Heathrow caused the surge.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-britain-airports-iag-stocks-idUSKBN18Q0K9?feedType=RSS&feedName=topNews&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=Social

GivingupBA
    Participant

Thanks for your post at 17:11, Charles – interesting.

In November 2006 the Telegraph published an article which I enjoyed on the topic. It’s called “So You Think You’re English”:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/expat/expatfeedback/4201967/So-you-think-youre-English.html

PeterCoultas
    Participant

Charles-P: a perfect summary of humanity !

PeterCoultas
    Participant

The most amusing thread for a long time though maybe not for BA….psychologists like Fdos may wonder why…

LuganoPirate
    Participant

My thoughts are no lasting damage to BA, and people will continue to book and fly them. They’ll either have insurance, wiggle out of paying compensation or many won’t bother to claim. The market will shrug it off so bought a load of shares on the open and already in profit, so not sure about Sr. Cruz but trebles all round (hopefully) as far as I’m concerned!

Eastbourneguy
    Participant

It seems to me like they are looking for a reason not to pay out????

Dear “….
    Thanks for your recent email about your claim for EU compensation due to the disruption to your flight on 27 May.

As you are probably aware, a major IT system failure impacted our operation globally on Saturday 27 May. We are currently carrying out a full investigation into the reasons behind this power failure and don’t underestimate the frustration the cancellation to your flight will have caused.
    We take our requirements under EU261 regulations very seriously. To be able to assess whether your flight is eligible or not, we need to complete a full investigation. We ask that you please bear with us until our investigation is carried out and we can respond to you. As you can imagine, this level of disruption means it will take us longer than normal to respond to all of our customers, but we truly appreciate your patience during this time.
    Thanks again for taking the time to get in touch with us. We’ll be in contact with you in due course. If you have any other questions, please use the blue link below to reply to me directly.

SimonS1
    Participant

capetonianm
    Participant

I would like to think that the above letter is simply badly worded, as seems to be the case with most of their comms, so as to allow them ‘wriggle room’.

I had a chat yesterday to a friend who is a top corporate lawyer, and whose family were caught up in this. Whilst he was not fully cognisant of EU261/2004 and its ramifications, after I’d given him a rundown of how it works he seems to think that they have minimal/negligible chance of avoiding paying in full to anyone whose delays fall within the parameters defined.

It is worth pointing out that whilst the definitions of the journey and compensation due according to the length of the journey apply end to end (including connections) rather than point to point, they will not apply where separate tickets were purchased.

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 226 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls